Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

when to go on roundabouts?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I have been driving for around 5 months now and I have a real fear of roundabout etiquette! I think I am grand with the gears and lanes and indicating and stuff, but my real issue is when I can go... I am fine if the way is clear (obviously) or if its very busy and I know I have to stop and wait for a gap. My real problem is with those in between times, when there are a couple of cars waiting, but I'm not sure what the rules are on who goes first. It's particularly a problem in a small roundabout beside my house (a dot on the road!) where you can see all the cars waiting to go on. Is there any cut and dry rules on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

You must relax yourself and try not to think yourself into a panic about the situation. By yielding to traffic coming from your right and proceeding when it is safe, and you are comfortable to do so.
    Have a read of the following........
    http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1
    You must yield to those already on the roundabout coming from your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thumpette wrote: »
    It's particularly a problem in a small roundabout beside my house (a dot on the road!) where you can see all the cars waiting to go on. Is there any cut and dry rules on this?
    Yes - think of it as like a crossroads with roads of equal importance. You must yield to the vehicle on your right. The vehicle on your left must yield to you and so on.

If you hesitate, the other traffic will probably proceed contributing to your confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

yield to traffic coming from the right. In a situation where you are arriving at the same time as someone, if you are on his/her right, then proceed. With caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

God I'm useless at this. I know to yield to the right and all that but I can't actually judge when to move on a busy roundabout. :(

Terrifies me. Especially if I'm turning right and there's no kinda help from the cars on m right hand side. *sigh* stupid driving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

:DHi maybe I can help. Let's say you intend to take the first exit (first left off RAB), as you approach look for vehicles actually on the RAB,(if there are vehicles on the RAB you will be stopping at the yield line) if none initially visable, check your mirrors, indicate left, brake as you approach, about 20 metre from your point of entry to the RAB drop to 2nd gear and keep braking , if the RAB is clear, release brake, accelerate keeping your left foot steady, get your position on the RAB, change to 2nd gear, check left wing mirror and take 1st exit (left hand turn) - job well done! A little tip to know how to judge when to progress from a junction in the face of moving traffic, look at the oncoming vehicle, note the distance from you and ask yourself could walk across the road before the vehicle reaches you, if the answer is yes then you can cross into the left hand side of the road you wish to join safely and without impeding other road users. hope this helps

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fonpokno wrote: »
    God I'm useless at this. I know to yield to the right and all that but I can't actually judge when to move on a busy roundabout. :(

Terrifies me. Especially if I'm turning right and there's no kinda help from the cars on m right hand side. *sigh* stupid driving...
    In that case then you should move when you feel that you can confidently make it. You may need to practice quick starts for this type of situation as there is a fair bit to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I'm alright with knowing when to move out, but it really irriates me when people coming around don't indicate. A few months ago, I was at the Killiney towers roundabout and someone came around on the outside lane taking the 4th exit with no indication whatsoever. I assumed (which I have now realised isn't a good thing to do) that they were taking the exit before me and I pulled out in front of them, thus causing them to beep at me.

I was really agnry at them for not being in the right lane and not indicating, but at the end of the day, I was definitely in the wrong. Ever since then, I just stop completely when anyone comes around, because it's impossible to assume that everyone will approach roundabouts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks for the responces, starting to make more sence now- I'll get practicing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

kbannon wrote: »
    In that case then you should move when you feel that you can confidently make it. You may need to practice quick starts for this type of situation as there is a fair bit to it

Yeah i can get away quickly, that's not a problem for me, it's just a matter of actually finding the right moment to pull away. just need a ton of practise really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement