Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise and Complaints.

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Just want so see peoples opinion on this... Live in a 20 year old block of four apartments, two up, two down. Own external extrances. 6" concrete floors. Place is built like a tank in that we have never heard them and they don't hear us. Tv is the furthest point from the bedrooms by design. So we decided to have a Bday party / house warming. Gave them 3 days notice. Invited them out of good will. They have a child. A 3am they come banging on the door and then on there ceilings about the noise.

This was the only party we had in over a year and since they started renting below us, don't have people over etc. Told him that i wouldn't be turning it down, he compained that the noise was keeping him awake as he sublets the second bedroom, his child in the main one (asleep) and they sleep in the sitting room.

Personally i'm looking for your opinion of this... I plan on telling him to "f" off if i see him as its not my issue that he uses the sitting room as a bedroom to save money, both he and wife work. I have kept to myself re his use of the common footpath / grass area as an ashtray and the killing the grass by leaving their childs sandpit in the same place for several weeks at time requiring reseeding each time. We have made allowances for them by allowing them to have a sat dish to get Polsat and had a pole mounted for them for their dish, as i am a director on the managment company and we don't have an agent i ended up doing the above wfor no pay to keep the area tidy but an now considering stictly applying the house rules.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As a director of the management company you should have contact details for the landlord. The landlord is responsible (in most developments) for ensuring that their tenants comply with development rules.

Don't get personally involved in confrontation with the tenant, if you want to stop turning a blind eye to their problems, then go through the landlord. Also check your lease, ours prohibits subletting part of any apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he compained that the noise was keeping him awake as he sublets the second bedroom
    I'd say the landlord wouldn't like that too much, as most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

am now considering strictly applying the house rules.
    A 3am they come banging on the door and then on their ceilings about the noise.

And what do your house rules say about blaring music at 3am???

If you and them were my neighbours, I'd be much more annoyed about your music at 3am than their sleeping arrangements TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

GeturGun wrote: »
    And what do your house rules say about blaring music at 3am???

If you and them were my neighbours, I'd be much more annoyed about your music at 3am than their sleeping arrangements TBH

Dead right, just cos you wanta blare music all night doesn't mean your neighbours wanta listen to it. Have a bit of respect for people. If he's doing other things that are annoying you take it up with him, don't wait till he rares up on you to do anything about it, it's pure childish in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

And at what stage did i say the music was blaring, was it a rave, No, Was it a house full of students, No..... Would i have an issue with people having a party on a Weekend night if they notified myself, No. Would i have an issue with people having a party on a Tuesday night Yes, Would i expect them to change the usage of their apartment as i choose to use my sitting room as a bedroom.. Maybe i should no longer put on my washing machine should the vibrations might annoy them below in their sitting/bedroom. NOOOOoooo.

Any other residents i enquired with to ensure they were not distrubed including those i know to sleep with windows open had no issue as noise levels were not high. I have no intentions of playing them at their game or trying to get any sort of petty revenge. We already made an exception to the house rules to allow them a dish. But in all reason i won't be bothering with this issue anymore as i returned today to find the they have dumped their broken ironing board and clothes horse in the complex carpark so we will be requesting they remove them as per the CCTV. So i will leave it upto the other director to persue the issue with them and their landlord if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I think it's quite easy. Your music was so loud that they could here it in their appartment at 3am. That means it was too loud.
    How they choose to live in their appartment is none of your concern and doesn't matter. Your music was too loud so you should turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This was the only party we had in over a year and since they started renting below us, don't have people over etc. Told him that i wouldn't be turning it down, he compained that the noise was keeping him awake as he sublets the second bedroom, his child in the main one (asleep) and they sleep in the sitting room.

If you are only having one party in a year then I'd simply forget about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

It doesn't have to be loud, sound travels further at night since it is generally so quiet, my neighbour woke me up at 4am on saturday just laughing, she's one of these people that laughes at anything and has a very loud laugh. Big improvement from blaring music like she used to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

nhughes100 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be loud, sound travels further at night since it is generally so quiet, my neighbour woke me up at 4am on saturday just laughing, she's one of these people that laughes at anything and has a very loud laugh. Big improvement from blaring music like she used to though.

Good point since i often lay in bed listening to the sub letters tv who's room is below mine. But i just accepted that people have to be able to watch tv especially since he doesn't have the use of the sitting room. maybe i shouldn't be so accepting now that as others have pointed out if i can hear it it's too loud. Personally i believe in live and let live.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I am going to leave the initial issue alone but will be rasising the issue of dumping in the complex with their landlord if they ignore the requests to remove their ironing board from the carpark and move their childs snadpit which has now killed its forth 1.2m square patch of grass that is now bare soil and has to be reseeded due to it being left out for several weeks without use in the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think you are entitled to have a party every now and again as long as you are not taking the piss. Fair play to you for warning them and inviting them, if you were my neighbour I'd have no problems putting up with a bit of noise if I was forewarned. I think it was a bad idea telling him you wouldn't be turning down the music, you could have turned it down a little bit. The one thing I would say tho is that if you decide to say/do nothing about the sat dish or sandpit or whatever, that's up to you. It doesn't mean they can't/won't decide to complain if you do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

but an now considering stictly applying the house rules.

Thanks

I would also suggest you enforce the noise limits after 11pm.

So far from reading your post, you are completely in the wrong. Not only did you refuse to reduce the level of noise to an acceptable level, you intend to spitefully enforce rules because they "dared" to ask you to turn it down at 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Jumpy wrote: »
    I would also suggest you enforce the noise limits after 11pm.

So far from reading your post, you are completely in the wrong. Not only did you refuse to reduce the level of noise to an acceptable level, you intend to spitefully enforce rules because they "dared" to ask you to turn it down at 3am.

I have to agree here. 3am is too late for loud noise, no matter how much notice you gave anyone, or where they sleep in their unit. 12:30am or 1am, on a weekend isn't too bad, but 3am is being inconsiderate.

I'm a director of our management company, and we enforce the rules across the board - and that goes for the resident's association committee, as well as the directors of the management company. We all have to abide by the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Most apartment agreements have a clause in them saying no loud noise that would disturb other residents after 10pm.

I know you feel that as it was a once-off they should have let it go, but really, once they complained you should have turned off the music, regardless of whatever breaches of the rules they have engaged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Hi,

but an now considering stictly applying the house rules.

Thanks

So no more loud music from you during the night if you enforce all the house rules. As a director you have to show exemplary behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 togherprince

Agree with most of the posters here - 2 wrongs do not make a right!! Noise does travel further at night and most apartment blocks say that you should be quiet after 10/11 at night. It should not matter if it is Tuesday or Saturday, lots of people work at the weekend. If you want to have a party, most local pubs will rent you some space for a nominal sum. If you want to have quests/drinks in your apartment that is fine, just don't expect your neighbours to forego a night's sleep simply because you want to entertain. Just not fair.

Advertisement