Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Problems with car

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Having a few problems with my car this morning, was hoping some of you fine people could help me figure out what's wrong.

Around 3 days ago, my clutch started to feel odd - it was like I got to a certain point when pushing it in, and it wouldn't go much further without extra force.
    I could also feel vibrating under foot (clutch pedal), and in my hand when it was on the gear stick.
    I was supposed to go get it checked out this weekend, but got called into work with an emergency, so that went out the window.

This morning on my drive into work, the clutch felt much worse, like it was scratching against something. There was a screeching sound and the smell of burning hair. Not good me thinks!
    Seconds later I think I heard a snap, and everything got much worse. The screeching noise remained and now it was like I was putting the car into gear clutchless, if that makes any sense! Had to really shove it in.
    I was pretty close to work, so just kept going. Got into the car park and tried to reverse into my spot when the car konked out, and now it will not start at all.
    I will be getting a mechanic out obvs, but being a girl and not knowing all the ins and outs of cars, I don't want to be fleeced for something that is an easy fix (I hope!).

Anyone any idea what might be wrong?
    It is a 2001 1.2 Fiat Punto (standard model).
    I got a new exhaust fitted about 2months ago, and new brake pads about 3weeks ago. Probs not relevant, but thought I would mention it.

Any help much appreciated!

Fi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Sounds like the clutch is finished, the pressure plate and/or release bearing are breaking up and causing slippage leading to heat and smell of burning. You will need a new clutch. And I'd say you will need to get the car towed to a garage. Replacement clutch for a Punto probably somewhere around 500 euro, will wait for someone with recent experience to provide a more accurate estimate.

If the engine won't start at all there may be further problems, it should start with the gearbox in neutral even if the clutch is finished. If there is any unusual noise or vibration when you try to start it stop and get it towed to a garage.

Advertisement