Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband saying Internal Wiring problem

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So i have been at this for over 4 weeks now and still no working broadband. First off they said it would take max 10 working days for the line to be installed and after a week of phonecalls finally got it installed a week late.

Then i get the broadband but cant get it working. So again after another week of phone calls they are now telling me its a problem with my internal wiring on my side. I am getting solid green for the DSL signal on 3 separate routers but none will work. I should be on a 3meg service but in router configuration its saying im only on a 1 meg. They have tried changing the product profile to there 2 meg service to try that but it just stays on the 1 meg connection. The latest "definite" problem is the internal wiring but im not convinced. This is about the 6th "definite" problem so far so im worried im just paying out more cash to eliminate one more possibility.

Can anyone recommend a company who know about broadband connections and the internal wiring involved. As BT cant tell me the exact problem to even look for a think an electrician would not be ideal. I need someone who understands the whole process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi,

So i have been at this for over 4 weeks now and still no working broadband. First off they said it would take max 10 working days for the line to be installed and after a week of phonecalls finally got it installed a week late.

Then i get the broadband but cant get it working. So again after another week of phone calls they are now telling me its a problem with my internal wiring on my side. I am getting solid green for the DSL signal on 3 separate routers but none will work. I should be on a 3meg service but in router configuration its saying im only on a 1 meg. They have tried changing the product profile to there 2 meg service to try that but it just stays on the 1 meg connection. The latest "definite" problem is the internal wiring but im not convinced. This is about the 6th "definite" problem so far so im worried im just paying out more cash to eliminate one more possibility.

Can anyone recommend a company who know about broadband connections and the internal wiring involved. As BT cant tell me the exact problem to even look for a think an electrician would not be ideal. I need someone who understands the whole process.

Using the phone line Eircom is the only option... they dont cover internal wiring either but they can send an technician out if they feel its appropiate.

Is the modem saying 1 mb?

can you please check if the router is synching at 1024/256 kbps please????

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Bohrio wrote: »
    Using the phone line Eircom is the only option... they dont cover internal wiring either but they can send an technician out if they feel its appropiate.

Is the modem saying 1 mb?

can you please check if the router is synching at 1024/256 kbps please????

Hi,

Yep, its synching at 1024/256 kbps. It should be at 3000 download. They tried changing it to 2000 kbps doanload but it juststaying at 1024/256.

I just got eircom out to install a phone point 4 weeks ago when i moved into my new apartment as no phoneline was installed before me. I got onto eircom to say i was having problems with the wiring and they should check it out seeing as how they installed it recently but they refuse to deal with me and say i have to go through BT as i am their customer now. Load of crap as BT had nothing to do with me when i got the point installed.

Hi,

Yep, its synching at 1024/256 kbps. It should be at 3000 download. They tried changing it to 2000 kbps doanload but it juststaying at 1024/256.

I just got eircom out to install a phone point 4 weeks ago when i moved into my new apartment as no phoneline was installed before me. I got onto eircom to say i was having problems with the wiring and they should check it out seeing as how they installed it recently but they refuse to deal with me and say i have to go through BT as i am their customer now. Load of crap as BT had nothing to do with me when i got the point installed.

Give them a ring again. Ask to talk to a Supervisor and mention that you are synching at 1024/256 kbps. They will now what to do.

There is no such profile. Eircom profiles are 1024/128, 2048/256, 3072/384...

1024/256 kbps is the profile Eircom assigns when they cease a line...

There is a chance it could be internal but it is worth checking that out first...

Good luck

When i say 2000 kbps i really mean 2048/256, etc, i just didnt know the exact figures. They had me onto second level tech support guys late last week (apparently) and they are the ones saying it internal wiring.

God this is all very frustrating. Im a web developer working from home. Thank god i can get online through my neighbors connection but its not great.

I forgot to say make sure you can make and receive calls. It could be that you are on a crossed line and the line you are actually connected is not yours... so ring your mobile or ring your landline from your mobile... if you have already then, obviously, dont bother..

If BT have already checked what I have said before then I am afraid it is going to be internal.... anyway doesnt hurt asking

Oh and is your internal wiring messy? how many phone sockets have you got?

There are a few things you can try doing if you feel comfortable playing with wires...

• Advertisement

Thanks, i have only one socket installed. When the eircom engineer came over he didnt see the one in the living room so he installed one in the bedroom. Would you reckon its a problem with the socket wiring or the wiring to the socket?

Thanks, i have only one socket installed. When the eircom engineer came over he didnt see the one in the living room so he installed one in the bedroom. Would you reckon its a problem with the socket wiring or the wiring to the socket?

Do any of the other sockets work?

If it is an Eircom socket you should be able to remove the faceplate from it. once you remove it there will be a black test socket there. Connect the modem and check again....

Bohrio wrote: »
    Do any of the other sockets work?

If it is an Eircom socket you should be able to remove the faceplate from it. once you remove it there will be a black test socket there. Connect the modem and check again....

Yeah, the phone works off the socket in the bedroom. I just removed the faceplate and connected directly but still the same problems.

Yeah, the phone works off the socket in the bedroom. I just removed the faceplate and connected directly but still the same problems.

Well not looking good...

and it does look as if your internal wiring needs some work... anyway, If you can make calls and receive calls then that rules out a crossed line. Have you tried a different router? Another thing will be to locate where the NTU or the main juncture box is... follow the cables as they come from outside and try to figure it out

Ok, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement