Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorloan - Fixed or Variable in this climate?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

So i'll be taking out a €15k motor loan later this week from Bank of Ireland, am i mental lol?

I've already been pre-approved, but with the way things are going at the moment what do you guys reckon I should get fixed or variable rate?

Fixed rate is: 9.8%
    So cost of credit would be: €3,049.33

Variable is: 11.9%
    So cost of credit would be: €3,712.58

I'm just worried with varible that interest could rocket! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fixed for 2 years with option to change it after <-notactuallyadvice. Termsandconditionsapply.
    Btw, you could get a smaller car for <5K and have less to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So i'll be taking out a €15k motor loan later this week from Bank of Ireland, am i mental lol?
    I'd have to say yes, TBH.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm no economist, but I'd expect interest rates to go down from the ECB for the next while as they want to get as much money into the economy as possible.
    Not sure if the banks will pass on the reduction or will keep it to try and shore up their losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably depends on the term of the loan too. If you have a 3 or 5 year term then you have to ask could the variable rate drop over 2% over the next 3 or 5 years to match the current fixed rate?

Nobody can tell really, we may not be in a recession in 2 or 3 years time and interest rates may climb or we could be deeper than we are now.

A crystal ball would be great about now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

interest rates will likely come down again soon, fixed rates give you a known payment though. One thing I would say is that the fixed rate you are being offered seems very high. Would have thought you could get less that 7% by shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fixed rate is: 9.8%
    So cost of credit would be: €3,049.33

Variable is: 11.9%
    So cost of credit would be: €3,712.58

Wow - I think they were offering cheaper credit card rates than that not so long ago.

If an increase in the interest rates could be a big factor for you, then there's a good possibility you're getting a bigger loan than you should. I don't subscribe to the idea that any car loan is living beyond your means, but this sounds like it could be a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

copacetic wrote: »
    interest rates will likely come down again soon, fixed rates give you a known payment though. One thing I would say is that the fixed rate you are being offered seems very high. Would have thought you could get less that 7% by shopping around.

Tesco are offering 6.9% fixed! See http://www.tesco.ie/finance/personalloans/loans_home.html

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

eoin_s wrote: »
    Wow - I think they were offering cheaper credit card rates than that not so long ago.

If an increase in the interest rates could be a big factor for you, then there's a good possibility you're getting a bigger loan than you should. I don't subscribe to the idea that any car loan is living beyond your means, but this sounds like it could be a stretch.

Its not so much a big factor, its just I don't wanna be screwed over if bank decide to jack things up. Noting wrong with wanting to find the best possible deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'd hazard a guess to go variable too with the rates dropping theory.

I logged on 365 Online today to find flashing red text asking me to apply for a bigger overdraft next to my current account balances, couldn't believe my eyes.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MarkN wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess to go variable too with the rates dropping theory.

I logged on 365 Online today to find flashing red text asking me to apply for a bigger overdraft next to my current account balances, couldn't believe my eyes.

had the same thing today, thought they had stopped this after the last 'pre-approved' fiasco on credit cards and overdrafts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

BUT... at the same time, Can we really expect even variable rates to drop below 9.8% within the next two years?

I'll have no real intentions of paying this loan off early so maybe fixed is my best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

You'd be surprised what could happen. This time last year what normal person saw this all coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You'd be surprised what could happen. This time last year what normal person saw this all coming?

No one was listening, that was the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Judging by the media you should get a bike and rifle to fend off the communists (well the communists is more my fathers opinion). Personally id almost be inclined to go for the fixed, it`ll give some you peace of mind (unless the economy does a massive rewind and interest rates plummet)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seclachi wrote: »
    (unless the economy does a massive rewind and interest rates plummet)

The ECB, US and UK have already cut rates, and I doubt it will be the last cut we see soon. It takes a pretty severe turn in the economy for the ECB to lower their rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Eddie Hobbs told us plenty of times but then again you did state "normal" people...:pac:

Advertisement