Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT FraudBand

Options
  • 13-10-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hi, well my bt fraudband is still as slow as mollasses, im supposed to be on up to 7mb package but surfing the web is a real pain, slow connections, dropped connections, etc. funnily enough i did a speed test which shows approx. 6mb download and 382 upload, pings 135. customer support is a joke , absolutely no help, just stardard nonsense drivel which fails to address any of my issues. so folks i have a few questions which i hope you can help me with......(bt are not interseted in helping me and have failed to reply to emails and have failed to call back when promised).
    What could be causing my high pings ? I am 1km away from dunboyne exchange.
    Is it just the latency that is causing all my problems as speed test.net seem to show my speeds are what they should be?
    What is the latest firmware for my Zyxel prestige router, model P623R-T1? and where can i get it ? could that be an issue?
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

When the upgrades happened Eircom set the interleaving to high. This has caused the increased ping times. Not sure what can be done other than give out to BT about the high interleaving and ping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

you could always downgrade back to the 3m/384k package - they'd reduce the interleaving (and with it your ping time) plus your line might be a bit on the crappy side, so a slower package might work better on it.
    In specification, the new Option 2 has the same up/down speed and traffic allowance as the old Option 3, the only difference is that the modern 3/384 has a worse contention rate 48:1 as opposed to 24:1 with the modern high end package.

I know it seems counter-intuitive that you pay more for a faster connection and end up with slower ping times but that's exactly what I did just before the upgrades >_<
    Welcome to Eircon-ville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

seph wrote: »
    hi, well my bt fraudband is still as slow as mollasses, im supposed to be on up to 7mb package but surfing the web is a real pain, slow connections, dropped connections, etc. funnily enough i did a speed test which shows approx. 6mb download and 382 upload, pings 135. customer support is a joke , absolutely no help, just stardard nonsense drivel which fails to address any of my issues. so folks i have a few questions which i hope you can help me with......(bt are not interseted in helping me and have failed to reply to emails and have failed to call back when promised).
    Is it just the latency that is causing all my problems as speed test.net seem to show my speeds are what they should be?
    What is the latest firmware for my Zyxel prestige router, model P623R-T1? and where can i get it ? could that be an issue?
    thanks.
    For the love of God, get a new router - that's the problem. The 623R is a terrible router and not ADSL2+ compatible either (for future upgrades).

Ring BT and try swing them out of a new router as an upgraded replacement - might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

Same issues as I've been having on the Pelletstown exchange. The two are geographically closeish to each other - wonder if it's related...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

thanks.

First, yes, P623Rs are a bit old, and although it should work fine it is a good idea to test this with a different router. But my advice is to check your internal setup first and if you are no running extensions, and you have done all basic troubleshooting they have asked you to, then your line profile might need to be adjusted.

Try a lower profile, maybe 6 mb and see. The process is always reversible and it only takes a few minutes to change it...

So post your line stats and let's see how they look like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭seph

ok thanks for the info....my line stats? is this what you are talking about...... many thanks again:P

relative capacity occupation: 76%
    noise margin downstream: 18.0 db
    output power upstream: 3.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 20.5 db
    carrier load: number of bits per symbol(tone)
    tone 0- 31: 00 00 00 06 78 9a aa aa a8 aa aa aa a6 99 88 00
    tone 32- 63: 00 00 00 00 24 45 66 77 88 99 aa ab bb bb cc cc
    tone 64- 95: 0c cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc
    tone 96-127: cc cc cc bc bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 128-159: bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 160-191: bb bb bb aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa
    tone 192-223: aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
    tone 224-255: 99 99 99 99 99 88 88 88 88 87 77 77 66 66 52 00

relative capacity occupation: 67%
    noise margin upstream: 15.0 db
    output power downstream: 19.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 16.5 db
    carrier load: number of bits per symbol(tone)
    tone 0- 31: 00 00 00 06 78 9a aa aa a8 aa aa aa a6 99 88 00
    tone 32- 63: 00 00 00 00 24 45 66 77 88 99 aa ab bb bb cc cc
    tone 64- 95: 0c cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc
    tone 96-127: cc cc cc bc bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 128-159: bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb bb
    tone 160-191: bb bb bb aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa
    tone 192-223: aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
    tone 224-255: 99 99 99 99 99 88 88 88 88 87 77 77 66 66 52 00

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

Seph

Can you post up a trace to boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

I have had problems with BT for the last two months, keeps cutting off and getting really really slow speeds, close to dial up.

I have rang them at least ten times now, it takes hours to get them after going in queue and sometimes they dont ring back. Each time they find another way to get rid of me for that day but problem never goes away. They have blamed everything they can think of by now

The other day after I got them, some bloke hung up on me and I had to go back to the end of the queue, they wont have my business much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

I fell your pain. Keep having to explain the issue to them every time I ring, eventually "escalating" the problem every time to Eircom. Question is, when will Eircom get back in contact:/

spke to bt support yesterday.....said my line maybe unable to take 7mb speeds and is causing choke ponits with data straming so downgrading me to 6mb. Also he is sending me out a newer wireless router. Dont know if this will work, Checked my speeds today and still pinging 130 ish.
    Did a tracert to speedtest.ie and is coming back request timed out..... whats going on ?

• Advertisement

spke to bt support yesterday.....said my line maybe unable to take 7mb speeds and is causing choke ponits with data straming so downgrading me to 6mb. Also he is sending me out a newer wireless router. Dont know if this will work, Checked my speeds today and still pinging 130 ish.
    Did a tracert to speedtest.ie and is coming back request timed out..... whats going on ?

Its really starting to look as a modem issue...

Not sure if your pings will improve much though. We will wait and see. Your DMT table is perfect as well as your line stats. Unfortunately that doesnt mean your line will take the full speed.

Post the results of your trace...

More than likely the new modem won't make a difference, it appears to be a support formality.

results of trace.......:eek:

Tracing route to ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

never had a problem before this upgrade work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

That tracert show's your not even making it past your router - are you definately online?

Have you reset the router? You should be getting the new one in a few days.

BT are actually the worst company I have ever had to deal with....ringing them up is completely pointless, unless you are lonely and feel like chatting to some idiot receptionist reading off some auto response and generally doing their best to fog you off.

I could train a bunch of monkeys to be more helpfull then BT support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

jack222 wrote: »
    BT are actually the worst company I have ever had to deal with....ringing them up is completely pointless, unless you are lonely and feel like chatting to some idiot receptionist reading off some auto response and generally doing their best to fog you off.

I could train a bunch of monkeys to be more helpfull then BT support.

Tell me about it. Some of their tech support, the irish and english lads/ladies are genrally pretty helpfull. But the foreign lads/ladies.... omg these lads are in the wrong job, they should probably be pumping gas, or cleaning windows instead of trying to do tech support.

BT really need to get their heads out of their hole's and sort out the tech problems, and the issues with useless staff.

Manties wrote: »
    Tell me about it. Some of their tech support, the irish and english lads/ladies are genrally pretty helpfull. But the foreign lads/ladies.... omg these lads are in the wrong job, they should probably be pumping gas, or cleaning windows instead of trying to do tech support.

BT really need to get their heads out of their hole's and sort out the tech problems, and the issues with useless staff.

I am in no way racist, but from my experience with some of BT supports foreign workers, I really may as well have been talking to the wall.

But I did get some English guy who actually just ignored me for five mins, then came back and I say why you ignoring me. He said "I was just investigating the issue", I could hear him breathing on the phone.

Still, I think its unfair to blame the employees, they are clearly not trained and in my case I get the impression there is nothign they can actually do, they are waiting for problem to be fixed by techinicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

On swords exchange. Wasn't able to use the internet at all yesterday and for most of today. It's very patchy right now with lots of packet loss and really slow speeds. Sample ping:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=58
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

MickeyD, can you post up a trace to boards please?

• Advertisement

hmmm.......i still awaitng my new router...... i cant get a trace as i keep geting "request timed out". Im on line so what the hell is going on ???? :confused: Even after my line downgrade my pings are still around 130 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Back to normal for me now.

well, finally got the new router, voyager 2110. No difference to my connection though. Pings are way too high and web pages either refuse to load or take ages to load. I was downgraded to 6mb...no help. My BB is soooo frustating to use, reminds me of the dial up days!

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms voyager.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms bas508.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.245]
    3 45 ms 43 ms 43 ms vlan500.sw501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
    4 44 ms 46 ms 43 ms vlan53.sw002.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.153]
    5 45 ms 43 ms 44 ms ge1.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.20]
    6 220 ms 211 ms 207 ms to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20
    7 46 ms 45 ms 47 ms www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Im on the verge of cancelling BT and going to eircom BB but am afaid that it will be the same with them as its the same line etc ? or am i missing something?
    Any ideas or advice for my problems guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You arnt using avg 8 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Im on the verge of cancelling BT and going to eircom BB but am afaid that it will be the same with them as its the same line etc ? or am i missing something?
    Any ideas or advice for my problems guys?
    Don't bother going back to Eircom, it will make no difference and you'll end up paying more. I'm more or less in the same boat as you and had to downgrade back to 3MB, that was fine up until 2 weeks ago, my speeds drop and high pings from round 5pm till 12 - 3am, again another problem caused by Eircom :mad:

yeah, hellboy, i was afraid of that......what a shower of wasters. Ireland the "Digital Hub of Europe"...what a joke!

Hey, skateboy.....what do you mean about "avg 8"? i dont unnderstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

avg 8 has new features that check each website, i found that it drasticly slowed down web browsing, there is a lot of post about it if you google avg8 and slow browsing.
    I went back to avg 7.5 and its so much quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just dropped BT there today, rang them up to cancle and they said they cant unless i have my account number. Told them i dont have a bill at hand and to check by address... Said it was impossible so told them im heading to the bank now to close the direct debit, 20 seconds later she had my account info...

So long BT, and i hope we never have the displeasure of crossing paths again. 17 months of a piss poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Manties wrote: »
    Just dropped BT there today, rang them up to cancle and they said they cant unless i have my account number. Told them i dont have a bill at hand and to check by address... Said it was impossible so told them im heading to the bank now to close the direct debit, 20 seconds later she had my account info...

So long BT, and i hope we never have the displeasure of crossing paths again. 17 months of a piss poor service.

Pretty impressive that they could cease someones broadband just like that, without even going through some basic security checks... Makes me wonder what would happen if someone who is not the account holder, rings their customer care team, pretends to be the account holder, and ceasesit the same way you did!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

When do we all get our refunds? :rolleyes:

Seriously though this has been going on for 5 months now.
    We are still paying FULL price for a retarded service.

I thought it couldn't get any worse.

While typing this...(wired connection)
    Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

1 * * * Request timed out.