Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision made ...

Options
  • 13-10-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

... I'm quitting.
    I've been to the pharmacy - got 105 Nicorette gums.
    I've set my date as tomorrow.
    Wish me luck - I'm going to need it :)

I know this isn't a group meeting or anything but it might help me if I publicly air my reasons for quitting. Hope that's ok.

1. My kids. I've twin 5 year old girls. They see me smoking all the time and I don't want them thinking it's ok to smoke because "Daddy did it". I've also seen them playing with pencils as if their cigarettes and that scared me. I don't smoke inside when their up but I do smoke in the house when they go to bed. And I'm fully aware that I'm rationalising when I do this.

2. Health. I want to be around to their 21st is one reason. But mainly general health - I get out of breath climbing the stairs ffs. I'm only 38 - way too young for that kind of feeling.

3. Money. Well tbh money isn't the major factor - if it was I'd have quit long ago. But these days it certainly is a factor. I've calculated that I spend over €5000 a year on cigarettes alone - not counting lighters, matches, doctors visits, ashtrays etc. That's a lot of money!

4. I'm sick of smoking. Seriously. I don't really enjoy smoking anymore. I hate the ashtray mouth in the morning. I hate the coughing. I hate the smell on my clothes. This, in fact, my be the primary reason for quitting.

I really hope that I can do this. I know I'll have the full support of my partner. I've signed up for Nicorrete emails as reminders. I'm going to start a calendar counting the days - and I hope I make it to a second page. That's the first goal :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

Macros42 wrote: »
    4. I'm sick of smoking. Seriously. I don't really enjoy smoking anymore. I hate the ashtray mouth in the morning. I hate the coughing. I hate the smell on my clothes. This, in fact, my be the primary reason for quitting.

Best of luck to you.....I think what you say above is the biggest reason for sticking with not been a smoker anymore. Every other reason you give you will fight with yourself with. I know I did until I felt like you and was sick of smoking.
    I'm on two weeks today and I don't have any cravings, Yeah at times I would like one but that is more out of habbit than a craving and it passes in seconds. I've got so much more energy to burn off with my 4yr old daughter it's brilliant.
    Have a look here http://www.stopsmoking.ie/ use that as your counter I am on
    "Hi Rochie I! You quit 2 weeks, 7 hours, 7 minutes & 15 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 571 cigs, saved EUR 216 and added 1.98 days to your life."

You can do this, Don't let a little piece of paper with nasty poop in it rule your life. It's stupid if you let smoking win this one. COME ON STAND UP AND BE A MAN not a slave to nicorette.

Advertisement