Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maverick StradaXB or Tamiya Hornet?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a RC buggy just to mess around with in the local Park.
    As a youngster I always wanted a Tamiya Hornet and I see now you can get a re-released RTR version (I've no interest in building the kit version really).
    While investigating prices and online retailers I came across this...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=29188

So do you think this would be a better buy than the Hornet for a newcomer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've never heard of Maverick, so quality would be an unknown. At least you can count on the Tamiya stiff being fairly good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Dont waste your money on a hornet. They were crap in their day, and they are crap now.
    Plenty of more modern tamiya buggies out there for similar money. Like the sand viper (2wd) or plasma edge (4wd). Also plenty of other built models from different brands out there too.

the maverick? I know nothin about it.

Why dont you want to put a kit together? It only takes an evening and a phillips screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I'd have to agree, besides even if the quality of the maverick was good, wouldn't you still want the Tamiya!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Ok, I decided 3 days ago to go for the maverick, (after reading some positive stuff about it) Today it arrived!
    I have to admit i'm impressed, The radio feels a bit cheap but the buggy looks good.
    Of course it's my first model so what do i know!
    I'll be running it for the first time Saturday morning so I'll let you know how I get on.
    BTW anybody know of a Club preferably Southside Dublin I could go along too, should I decide to get into it more?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

The Dublin Model Car Club are generally located in Lucan http://www.dublinmodelracing.com/ we race elec buggys, drop Mick an email, the address is on the site. He does be on here some times too.

For the winter that racing generally moves indoor, there is also a nitro club in navan that I go to and they are happy to let elecs run on their track, which is astro turf so allows all year round racing. Drop me a PM if you want any more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

OK, So after waiting 6 hours to charge the battery I picked a large car park for the first test run. At first I wasnt that impressed by the top speed and the battery didnt seem to last very long, but later in the day I tried again and Wow!
    The second test run was far more impressive I had a lot of fun driving over loose gravel and up a few small ramps, this was more like it!
    For the third and final run of the weekend I used a small section of uneven ground and let rip.. again a lot of fun really impressed by the performance, for a low price entry model I would rate it highly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lotus791

the maverick range are brought into the uk by mirage http://www.mirageracing.com/catalogue.php?brand=MV&pg=CEPF

they have branded these as their own product and offer full support and spares through the usual dealer network ..these are very good prices and decent quality for the money .

Advertisement