Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi all,can you help?
    this was posted in another board:

An odd request...
    I am probably posting this in the wrong forum but sure here goes. I have a friend in the states whos grandfather is from Cork. He wants to visit the area but doesnt know where in Cork it is. All he has is a picture and i was wondering would anyone recognise the area?
    I have attached the image. Hope someone can help!
    xxxxx

Ireland20Alley.jpg

one person said they really think it's Moyderwell Street in Tralee but he no longer lives in tralee so can't go back and have a second look.the only pic on the net of Moyderwell Street is this

152477168_3813d1e63d.jpg?v=0

which looks like it could be it.
    can anyone say for sure that it is/isn't the right street.
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

I am sure that is Moyderwell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hcottybuds1

oleary91 wrote: »

would you say 90% or more sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Its Moyderwell street alright only down the road from me. Will try and take a pic some time soon to show you what it looks like now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

+1

Lived very near there a couple of years ago.
    Can't think of anywhere else it might be.

Vain wrote: »
    Its Moyderwell street alright only down the road from me. Will try and take a pic some time soon to show you what it looks like now

that would be brilliant if you could
    RichyX wrote: »
    +1

Lived very near there a couple of years ago.
    Can't think of anywhere else it might be.

thanks everyone for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep,110%moyderwell,i can see the bike shop on the left.Looks like it was taken in the late 60s/early 70s.

Thats a great picture,has he got anymore like that?I love to see old photos like that:)It would be nice to take a pic at the same angle today..

Heres the best i could do with a phone camera and bad weather...
    Ireland20Alley.jpg
    Image831.jpg
    hope this helps...

Yep,110%moyderwell,i can see the bike shop on the left.Looks like it was taken in the late 60s/early 70s.

Thats a great picture,has he got anymore like that?I love to see old photos like that:)It would be nice to take a pic at the same angle today..

110%,thats great news

this was the only other pic he had
    scan0005.jpg

it's a cork number plate and he said it was taken in cork so no one ever thought it would be anywhere else.
    i'd love to see it today too but i'm in cork and if it was here i'd be straight down with my camera so i'm looking for one last favor off anybody who can help.please:)
    here's the full story on it with pics of the other places people thought it might of been
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141747

Heres the best i could do with a phone camera and bad weather...
    Ireland20Alley.jpg
    Image831.jpg
    hope this helps...

thats brillent man,thank you very much

No probs with the pic,i love seeing old and new pics like that!

scan0005.jpg
    That car is a renault 4,first registered in march or april 1971 in cork city.EZF is a cork city allocation.Its impossible to say where that one was taken though..

• Advertisement

Doesn't that Renault 4 look like the one thats always parked in that lane behind the multistorey carpark near CH's??? Maybe the horse is queued up for the creamery:D:D Carchaeologist - quick...run down and take a pic of it!!!

Haha,your dead right that its the same car,
    Image427.jpg
    Same type of car,different reg though,theres around 13 years between them..

Dunno why the today pic of moyderwell deleted,here it is again..
    Image831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

You mentioned loving old Tralee photographs,

There is a great book title
    Images of Ireland
    Tralee

compiled by Michael Diggin. Michael as far as I know is from The Rock area
    The book contains photographs of Old Tralee, with many familiar faces and places. You might find a copy of it at the Kerry County Library.
    The local studies dept upstairs will surely have a copy.
    Mick O'Neills books on interviews with the Ould Stock of Tralee are priceless jems of old Tralee.

regarding the old photograph of Moyderwell. Yes, I remember it well,
    The shop front Taylors is giving me flashbacks to an old Mr. Taylor who had something to do with eyeglasses. He was not a doctor, but someone who gave you eye tests for glasses??? I am guessing he was there in the early 1960s Back then
    Mullins had a shop further down, Dineens further up past the entrace to
    Presentation convent. Moyderwell school was on the same street.
    There was a sweetie shop next door to the entrance to Presentation.
    A chip shop owned by Mr. Boylan from Kevin Barrys area? was located near Mr. Taylors shop.

You mentioned loving old Tralee photographs,

There is a great book title
    Images of Ireland
    Tralee

compiled by Michael Diggin. Michael as far as I know is from The Rock area
    The book contains photographs of Old Tralee, with many familiar faces and places. You might find a copy of it at the Kerry County Library.
    The local studies dept upstairs will surely have a copy.
    Mick O'Neills books on interviews with the Ould Stock of Tralee are priceless jems of old Tralee.
    Thanks for that kate,i have these already,except for the first old stock of tralee book which is out of print,you are right,they are very good books.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

On the above site, find the placename link. Type in
    Moydore Well Lane
    (use the old spelling) of the street, and you will find all the names of the people who lived there in 1850s.
    Taylor is one of them, which in a way confirms the location of the old photograph.
    The origin of this thread request was for tracing a family on the street.
    The guy from the States who wanted to visit the area in the picture can go to Kerry County Library and view the 1901 and 1911 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

My grandfathers cousin lived at No 47 during 1901 census... William Howard Browne, his wife's family probably owned the property as they are mentioned Griffiths Evaluation (Foleys's) she the wife of W H Browne was Mary Foley daughter of James Foley long time resident in the Moyderwell area.

I'm trying to track down both the Howard & Browne families from whom W H Browne descended.

Any pointers appreciated

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Stinky45 wrote: »
    My grandfathers cousin lived at No 47 during 1901 census... William Howard Browne, his wife's family probably owned the property as they are mentioned Griffiths Evaluation (Foleys's) she the wife of W H Browne was Mary Foley daughter of James Foley long time resident in the Moyderwell area.

I'm trying to track down both the Howard & Browne families from whom W H Browne descended.

Any pointers appreciated

Please don't ressurect a thread from 2008! Please start a new thread for your query. Thanks - MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement