Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping all the time but still exhausted

Options
  • 13-10-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences with this, I seem to need more sleep than anyone else I know, and am phyiscally and mentally exhausted all the time no matter how much sleep I get. For example, on Saturday night I fell asleep at 9.30pm and woke up the next day at 2pm!

I have continuosly gone to the doctor regarding this but no gotten no help or advise, so is there anyone here with any advise for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

Looks like it's an ongoing problem. Try going to a different doctor. In the meantime have a think about some of the following:

diet, mattress, pillow, sleeping on your own in a single bed can improve things, depression, stress, worry, diet, amount of exercise, alcohol intake, caffine intake, medication, amount of light in the bedroom, amount of noises entering the bedroom, temperature of the bedroom, you may snore without realizing it, allergies, do you eat within two hours of going to bed?

Good Luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

Here's a few more things I thought of:

- You can oversleep too. Aim for 8 hours.
    - Try various sleeping positions... on your back, stomach or side
    - Don’t watch TV, use internet or do any physical or mental activity before going to bed. Unwind during the last hour before you hit the sack, by having a bath or reading an easy to follow book.
    - Put your mobile on silent until the morning.
    - Turn all non-essential electronic gadgets off, and keep them as far away from the bed as possible
    - Scented bed covers might be worth a try
    - Are you the type to take a mid-day nap??
    - Plan it so you won’t have to make a 2 AM toilet trip
    - Never allow pets in the bedroom
    - Wear comfortable, loose clothing

Remember when it comes to sleep, the quality is just as important as the quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

I use to have a similar problem for a long time. It turned out I was oversleeping. What worked for me was getting up at the same time every morning no matter what.

Once you get into a routine your body knows, right I have to be up at 8 so ill make hime feel tired now so he goes to bed. Only go to bed when youre tired.

From reading, I found out that it takes alot of energy to wake up from sleep. Everytime i woke up and I went back to sleep I was ****ed for the whole day. Now was soon as I wake up I stay up. Worked a treat for me

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah definitely could be oversleeping. I can sleep for about 12 hours and feel tired, but six or seven hours leaves me refreshed and energetic. Experiment with gradually reducing the length of time (and give yourself a few days to adjust) and see what happens.

Quality of the sleep is also very important though, do you sleep non stop for all that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Thanks for all the replys, I will take on board some of the suggestions! I don't nap during the day if I can avoid it, I get up at the same time everyday for work, and collapse at home at about nine each night. But if I don't have to be up I could quite happily stay asleep until I naturally wake up, its almost like my body needs to shut down for 14 hours sometimes!

• Advertisement

I'm the same. I think you're oversleeping. Ever get headaches in the morning when you wake up?

I used to get a few hours (8 or so) when i was at school. same times carried over to my first job, then i was on the dole for a while, and i got lots more sleep than im used to. I also Queued up for wrestling tickets on occassions (equaling a night with no sleep) and the following night i'd do the 'sleep from 8pm to 2pm the following day' thing.

Then I started back at work and because i was dole'd for so long, the physical work has me tired at night, but i try to do something with my day when im finished work, so i am back to the school days of getting about 8 or 9 hours of sleep and wallah! all the headaches, groggy days, etc. are gone again.

I really, really think its a case of sleeping too much at one time (i never take naps during the day or anything).

Although thats just my experience, i could be totally wrong about you.

Whatever it turns out to be though, best of luck with sorting it all out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emermc

I wonder would you have ME? I know someone who had it and all they wanted to was sleep.
    http://www.imet.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

It may be possible that during your sleep you are actually using up large amounts of energy by doing things like kicking your legs while you sleep.

Or shallow breathing which affects the quality of your sleep.

Strangly enough having a certain amount of caffine can be good for you. It can aide the recovery process of your muscles and help ease the strain on your bodie's recovery efforts while sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Do you snore?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Some people need more sleep than others. I think its that simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Do you snore?

Yep,not as loudly as I used to though since I have lost a stone and a half in the past few months, weightloss was one suggestion for the tiredness, I wasn't dramacticly overweight to start with and it hasn't made much of a difference at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Check this out.

www.isat.ie

See if this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Nah - OP, take a berocca during the day, boost your body with an immediate vitamin B, do this a few days in a row and you'll feel the difference.

You need a tonic!

Are you a smoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I have a similar "over sleeping" problem ... it can be [and in my case is] a symptom of Depression (as is the constantly feeling tired), i also get Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A,D.) which has the same sleeping/tired effect which is worse in winter.

No cure for it that I know of.

I do know that there have been times when my Depression has lifted and I felt much better, got by on 6 hours of sleep and was wide awake all day.

And before anyone says it, I've been on anti-d's and they didn't help. At all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

im the exact same. exept i dont worry about it as much as you do. i can sleep for an entire 24 hours if i want to and yet even after that im still really tired. every1 says its due to too much sleep. and i believe them.
    try to regulate your hours and sleep at regular time and get yourself up in the morning at the same time every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DMO

You may have a condition called sleep apnea by which your sleep is interrupted constantly by what most people would describe as snoring, to be more accurate someone with SA is actually choking and resusitating constantly over the course of the night - as the REM sleep is never achieved constant daytime tiredness results.

Symtoms which may indicate SA;-
    constant daytime tiredness
    waking up sweating, with dry mouth/headaches,
    waking up feeling as if you had been choking

If you suspect SA speak with your doctor, it is very treatable - and gives you a new lease on life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I would second the check to see if it could be sleep apnea. I had it for a year or so, and I used to feel so sleepy all the time. If I stayed sitting in one place and wasn't talking to someone I'd start to nod off. But no matter how much sleep I got I never felt fully rested. As well as the daytime tiredness like DMO said, I would also wake up in the middle of the night, seemingly for no reason.

I got a really bad muscle pain in my leg during the time that meant I couldn't lie sleeping down (had to sleep in an almost sitting up position. Because it stopped me snoring it was literally an instant cure - I felt like I'd woken up from a really bad dream. Obviously it wasn't a practical nor permanent solution, and in the end up it was losing weight that got rid of it for me. However, you don't have to be overweight to get sleep apnea - there's lots of info on it out there from all sorts of people.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon - I really understand how nasty it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi, did your doctor do any blood tests? a thyroid inbalance can cause tiredness, as can a low haemoglobin. Both can be treated with simple medications (in case of low haemoglobin, just iron tablets or maybe a monthly iron injection for a while). Neither are anything to fret about at all.

Other than that, depression/low mood/boredom/anxiety can definitely cause sleep disturbance (anxiety probably more likely to cause sleep deprivation).

Advertisement