Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance calls at work

Options
  • 13-10-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Is it just me or is everyone being absolutely inundated with nuisance phone calls at work?

I work in a small office and it's normally me who answers the phone. I'd say these days at least 50% of the calls are one of the following:

1. Call begins with "Hello can I speak to the person in charge of phone bills / advertising / IT (or whatever)?", they then proceed to start a scripted sales pitch re above.
    2. phoning to conduct a survey (and if you say you are too busy they will ring back another time).
    3. Call to find out email adress, then send an email, then make follow up call re email - won't take no for an answer when you tell them you're not interested in whatever they are selling.

Or something equally irritating. I know that everyone needs to advertise in business etc but seriously, it's come to the stage where I just dread answering the phone because I'm constantly trying to get rid of these telemarketers and cold callers - would they ever F**K off!!!!!

Plus I've just hung up on someone who asked for me by name, then told me they were phoning from someplace I've never heard of and to thank me for taking part in their research (which I didn't) they were sending me out and MP3 player and wanted my home address to send it to - yeah like I'm going to fall for that.

It's such a headwreck!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Tupins wrote: »
    Is it just me or is everyone being absolutely inundated with nuisance phone calls at work?

I work in a small office and it's normally me who answers the phone. I'd say these days at least 50% of the calls are one of the following:

1. Call begins with "Hello can I speak to the person in charge of phone bills / advertising / IT (or whatever)?", they then proceed to start a scripted sales pitch re above.
    2. phoning to conduct a survey (and if you say you are too busy they will ring back another time).
    3. Call to find out email adress, then send an email, then make follow up call re email - won't take no for an answer when you tell them you're not interested in whatever they are selling.

Or something equally irritating. I know that everyone needs to advertise in business etc but seriously, it's come to the stage where I just dread answering the phone because I'm constantly trying to get rid of these telemarketers and cold callers - would they ever F**K off!!!!!

Plus I've just hung up on someone who asked for me by name, then told me they were phoning from someplace I've never heard of and to thank me for taking part in their research (which I didn't) they were sending me out and MP3 player and wanted my home address to send it to - yeah like I'm going to fall for that.

It's such a headwreck!!!!!!

What's more baffling is that you can just hang up.....that's right. Put the phone down. Say "ccccccccccccccccccch sorry.......chhhhhhhhhh the line..........<click>". Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

every call is a nuisance call at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Well much as I'd love to do that alright, I need to filter out the genuine calls from the telemarketers. Sometimes they will ask for people by name, and you can't always tell from the start who is who.

Obviously I hung up on the one today who wanted my home address. I've had that call before!

I have started to become a lot more direct (ie rude) to people alright and I will just cut across them and say "Sorry I'm not interested" but some people will claim that they are phoning with requested information and I don't want to take the chance of hanging up on someone that my boss was actually looking for!

What I'm trying to figure out though is - are there more of these calls now than ever before? I've worked in offices most of my adult life and I never remember them being this frequent. It's literally at least 3/4 a day at this stage! Just wondering if others have noticed this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Next time they call and ask "Hello can I speak to the person in charge of phone bills / advertising / IT (or whatever)?" just answer with
    "Actually he is doin yore ma at the moment, can I take a message?"

If they ring back say the same thing but finnish with "can I take a massage?" then pause and start to cry. Just freak them out as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

....or you could go "one sec, I'll get x for you now". Have a foghorn handy (of course) and let rip. Doubt they'll be calling back anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

What I'm trying to figure out though is - are there more of these calls now than ever before? I've worked in offices most of my adult life and I never remember them being this frequent. It's literally at least 3/4 a day at this stage! Just wondering if others have noticed this.
    VOIP flat rate calls plus international telesales companies? Have most of these guys got an Indian or Polish accent?

VOIP flat rate calls plus international telesales companies? Have most of these guys got an Indian or Polish accent?

Some but not all, they also are american, english, australian and a few Irish thrown in for good measure.

What annoys me though is where do they get my name from??

I think the old foghorn will have to be purchased alright :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd sign up to a difference service provider.
    I'm with BT and they have a call screening service.
    You can opt out of recieving such calls - if someone wants to call you, they are supposed to check a legal listing to see if you have previously requested NOT to be contacted.
    - If they still call you, you can sue them for nuisence call and harrassment.

See here: http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=380&p_created=1085492819&p_sid=OZo6Megj&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTIyNCwyMjksMjUxJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9My4yNTEmcF9wYWdlPTI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
    BT is pleased to announce industry improvements that enable our ex-directory customers to prevent unwanted calls from marketing companies in Ireland. This service is already available to our directory customers.

Backgound to this service

In July 2005 the Data Protection Commissioner and the Commission for Communications Regulation launched the Opt-Out register for cold calling. This allowed telephone customers, through their telephone operator, to record a preference not to receive unwanted marketing calls. A listing of the numbers is now made available on a regular basis to marketing companies so that they can take steps to ensure that they do not call.

The details are held in a central database called the National Directory Database, which, to date, contains only numbers in public phone books or available through directory enquiries. As an ex-directory customer, your number is not listed here, so you have been unable to register a preference.

As an ex-directory customer, your telephone number is not disclosed by us to any third party, unless you have given us permission. Some companies engaged in direct sales call every number in a range of numbers and will inevitably call some ex-directory numbers.

We, along with the rest of the telephone industry, the Data Protection Commissioner and ComReg have been trying to resolve this issue, as we believe that all customers should have the same protection from unwanted marketing calls if they wish.

Are ex-directory customers included?

Yes, your telephone number will be automatically opted-out of receiving marketing calls. With the inclusion of your telephone number in the opt-out register there will be no change to your current ex-directory status.

Your telephone number will not appear in the public phone book. It will continue to be unavailable from directory enquiries. The only change is that your telephone number (no name or address) will be part of the listing of all telephone numbers made available to direct marketers that they may not contact.

What do you need to do as an ex-directory customer?

If you wish to have your number protected from direct marketing calls, you need to do nothing - BT will arrange this for you.

Useless Eircom don't do this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

chin_grin wrote: »
    ....or you could go "one sec, I'll get x for you now". Have a foghorn handy (of course) and let rip. Doubt they'll be calling back anytime soon.
    In work we have an internal extension that plays Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, then hangs up.

"Hi, I'm calling from <REcruitment Company X>, I was wondering...",
    "Hang on, i'll put you through to rick..."
    *transfer* R-I-C-K *transfer*.
    No more call.

If they call back the response is 'Oh, he hung up on you? He's never let Me down.... *transfer*

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I think that opt out option is only for residential customers not business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I also find these calls annoying, really annoying. Now what can you do to stop it, well for the one time only price of €19.99 we can stop those irritating cold callers by screening your inbound calls. For this once in a life time opportunity please send me your e-mail address and a cheque made out to Call busters. Thanks you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Haha one of the lads in my office got that same offer, they ended up sending some sh!te mp3 player along with 3 boxes of toner with an invoice for 500 euro... What a fool lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The only work call I don't consider a nuisance call is when I ring looking for myself to deliver some made up bad news that requires me to go home.....Granny number 6 is going to die next time I have a bad hangover.

The provider we're with is Clarity. I've just phoned them and they also offer this service. ( I'd say all providers do at this stage). They told me to send an email saying that we want our number on the NDD register and it will come into effect within a month. Then if anyone phones after that, they can be reported to ComReg.

Thanks for the advice Biggins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Haha one of the lads in my office got that same offer, they ended up sending some sh!te mp3 player along with 3 boxes of toner with an invoice for 500 euro... What a fool lol...

I do hope he didn't pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ask them if they have Battletoads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I got a call the other week like this.

Me: "Hello, Dr. Bollocko affiliated. Dr. Bollocko speaking."
    'er:Hello. I would like to book an STI check please."

Now at this point we already have a problem.
    I ain't actually no doctor. Lets face it. All these years on boards have been spent living a lie.
    Furthermore, I am wondering how she got through the receptionist or whoever in the hell answered the phone in the first place and why I am now having to deal with this woman.

"Emm, this is not a GP's office you have rang madam."
    "Look, I just want to book an STI check, Could you PLEASE help me."
    The emphasis on the please was a cranky one as opposed to a flirty one. Presumably her she-scrot was itchy.
    "Well I'm no expert, but I could have a look if you want..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

no no, fool but not special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

who wanted my home address.

Not quite the same but it's still a good'un!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sunset V wrote: »
    Not quite the same but it's still a good'un!

Whats sad, is that some actually fall for that con!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

AHHHHH
    I hate these guys, let me tell you what to do
    we have a fictional managing director called barney buckley whenever someone calls looking for the guy in charge`s name we give them that.
    then when they call back looking for mr buckley we know its one of those cowardly companies, so we say hold on leave them on hold for ages (I think one guy was on for over half an hour then say he isnt here he is flying on concorde to new york for a colonoscopy. by the way that guy went crazy in his best nigerian accent "why you leave me on hold so long that is not how to do business" over time they stop calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Toe-Rag UTD

Working in IT I have every b astard wanting to sell me their mother an kitchen.

Being the easy going kind of guy that I am, I can get a laught out of them and have a laugh and wind them up BUT this morning being Monday morning and my head was hurting like someone midget was trying to escape from my brain, the phone rang, I am up to my proverbial and I let it go to my voicemail. The bollix rings back, again goes to my voicemail.

I said to meself, if this plank calls back again he/she is going to get it. Without a doubt the b astard called back, I lifted up the phone and said in a tone, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Bollix on phone :Can i ask you some questions about your computers and printers?

Me: I dont know can you?

Bollix : Small Laugh.

Me: Its 7:30am Monday morning, im up to my tits and alls you can do for me is ****ing off rining me. You got my voicemail twice use it to go **** yourself.

Phone hangs up, result. It must be a horrible job alls I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

if they're doing research, just tell them that you are 14 years old, and it's just a student transfer job from the other side of the country. The research would be then wrong on two counts.

if they're selling something, beat them down on price for about an hour, then just hang up. Not only will they not ring you back, again, ever...you can then actually pretend you are doing something for your boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SpookyWriter

I don't work in customer service for a reason.

Advertisement