Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to stop smoking, anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You quit 3 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes & 6 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 67 cigs, saved EUR 27 and added 5.58 hours to your life.

Hey All, so far so good here with me. Day 4 is def much easier;) Played a game of footie last night and up early this am for a one hour work out, gonna keep that up mon-fri anyway as well as 1-2 hours after work each evening (easy know I have no kids) this week I'm eating what ever i want but trying to keep it practical, had a big toasted cheese sandwich on sunday night before i went to bed... wont be doing that again... so next week gonna change a few things cos the last time i quit i put on over 2 stone in a few weeks:eek: Now in saying that it was 100% my own fault, i was eating 3 FULL meals a day (loads of deep fryed food, mayo, butter etc) and choc, sweets etc any time i felt like it. My food input easly doubled over night, this time no such trouble, if I'm hungry I have fruit and I'm ensuring my meals are balanced so that wards off running out of fuel before meal time. This was my main trigger for chain smoking, smoke instead of eating, which with a bit of preperation can easily be knocked on the head.

Anyway this is turing into a rant so I'll finish up, good to see all yer posts its a great source of encouragment:cool:

The Gall, glad your still fighting the good fight..... later guyzzz:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You quit 1 week, 1 day, 19 hours, 41 minutes & 3 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 220 cigs, saved EUR 89 and added 18.33 hours to your life

Hi all:cool:

So far so good here:)

Plenty of temptation over the weekend but worked my way through it and came out the other side smiling, doing well alround, back to 100% at work and running every evening. Not trying to plan to far ahead but hopeing to do a few events this summer...

Having the extra €€€ is nice too, how things with the rest of ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well done to all, just came across this thread while doing some surfing on Nicotine therephy, I found a product through a similar forum to this (askaboutmoney) a few weeks back which I have found brill -http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=95044
    I have tried the cold turkey route, hypno, gum etc but found these the best so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Ok im going to try with you....as of.....pufff..WAIT WAIT....puffff..COUGH...Uuugggg...pufff....NOW!!!...i'll let you know how long it last...but i will try for real!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Still off them, keep forgetting bout the patches, can't remember how long I'm off them now. Made a serious boo boo yesterday though. Told the OH that her dress wasn't nice, she just bought it for a wedding we're off to tomorrow. Woops, she's not happy. I was only being honest.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 22 hours, 25 minutes & 35 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 689 cigs, saved EUR 276 and added 2.39 days to your life.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Still off the smokes here too, and it's not been a struggle at all. Don't think I'd have been able to do it without the Champix. Finished taking the pills a week ago, and still have had no cravings whatsoever.

You quit 2 months, 1 week, 2 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes & 3 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,416 cigs, saved EUR 570 and added 4.92 days to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I'm going to join aswell. I'm 21 and been smoking since I was 14.

Gradually came to be smoking 20 a day. Tried to quit last night but just slipped 10 minutes ago. Quite annoying. Going to start again tomorrow.

doonothing wrote: »
    You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 22 hours, 25 minutes & 35 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 689 cigs, saved EUR 276 and added 2.39 days to your life.

:D

Dude, where did you get that timer thing from?

How is everyone doing? I'm still off them, sense of smell back. (The farts are terrible). Haven't gone near the patches, have a few 15mg ones left if anyone wants them. Might get a few 5/10mg ones for over xmas. Haven't been out with the guys at all, and that's gona be the real test. 2 many dj's on jan 2nd, can I stay off them that night and the state I may get myself into!!!

Tell us your stories so far guys, let us know how you're doing.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

stopsmoking.ie, thats the one I used anyway! Ha, I know how you feel, if we go to <snip> again this year.. I hope I remember that I don't smoke anymore :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

hey Whacker
    how's thing's going for ya?

Whacker your very quiet
    what's the story with ya?

I think he smoked, and can't face us here!

beertons wrote: »
    I think he smoked, and can't face us here!
    yea reckon
    Id say he,s won the lotto and fecked off to some fancy anti smokin clinic to chill out with the movie set
    Hope im right

Whacker dust yourself down and get back on track

Beertons how are you gettin on
    That smokin chart is on a thread I wrote It's on the first page I think

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Hi all,
    This Saturday I will be off them 2 months. I actually cannot believe I`ve lasted this long. To be honest, Im still terrified of having a moment of weakness and going back on them again.
    The cravings have all but gone. I rarely even think about smoking anymore. The odd time when Im stressed or having a drink I`ll want one but I honestly think if I gave in now I wouldn`t forgive myself.
    To keep myself on the right path, Im thinking of starting a non-smoking jar and putting the money I would spend per week on cigarettes in it. Then at the end of every month I haven`t smoked, I`ll empty it and use the money to take myself out to a nice restuarant and buy a small present with whatever is left.
    Well done everyone-hope we all stay strong :)

Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I gave up two days ago. Im on the gum but only when cravings are very bad. It does help. I know they say you will last longer going cold turkey but i gave in. Though i may as well give up before the xmas because i would smoke like a train during the festive period. These few days are head wrecking.

Good stuff girls, keep it up. Not sure how long I'm off them now. Not on patches or gum now, and starting to nibble a little to much now aswell. I'll be gone in feb when I start running again.

Any sign of Whacker?

yea where's Whacker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I'm not going to smoke anymore.

I tried to quit on the 1st of Jan but only lasted a few hours.

As of today I will never smoke again.

Last night I was having a smoke outside while chatting to a few mates. From the first puff I noticed a little tickle at the back of my throat. A few puffs in and I just erupted coughing and gagging. Looked like some fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Hi,

Just want to say well done so far and to everybody else.

I am off the cigarettes for about sixteen years now and while I know I'm only arms length away from lighting-up I have to say life is much better without the dreaded weed. Food tastes nicer, air smells sweeter and I have much more energy, not to mention saving money.

I remember I told my doctor during a visit I was off the ciggies, he went and got my file and changed a sticker on the folder indicating that I was now a non-smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

I`m off the cigs nearly 3 months now (hard to believe) and for the most part have been doing fine, cravings had all but vanished,.... until recently that is.
    A few of the old cravings have re-surfaced again recently for some unknown reason but Im determined not to slip up. This is a relativly new thing as up until last week I was absolutly grand. Im hoping it will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

I quit smoking new years eve with the help of the Allen Carr book. Cravings have gone since day 4.

I'm afraid to go out for a few drinks this weekend in case I slip after ive had a few drinks most my friends smoke and I will end up in the smoking areas. Anybody have advice on how long you should wait to go out and have a few drinks after quitting?

I kinda went out 2 weeks later. Didn't smoke. Are all your friends smokers? It'll probably be a cold weekend, so I'd say they won't be out there all night. You'll be grand, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

pingu_girl wrote: »
    I quit smoking new years eve with the help of the Allen Carr book. Cravings have gone since day 4.

I'm afraid to go out for a few drinks this weekend in case I slip after ive had a few drinks most my friends smoke and I will end up in the smoking areas. Anybody have advice on how long you should wait to go out and have a few drinks after quitting?

I didn't change anything about my social life when i quitted, but for the first few months i stuck close to my boyf (very anti smoking) and another friend who would have killed me if i did. eventually you just break the habit and notice that all your friends stink when they come back in! Good luck, keep up the will power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 st0ned z0mbie

I quit smoking on the 2nd of this month, the cravings are getting to me but i feel i can make it through it. just a quick question, im 16 is it legal for me to buy patches/gum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭epictetus2009

but taking it one day at a time....

off since dec 24th or so... went patches for a week which left me with f--ked up hiroshima lesions but fading now at last. Carry a patch just in case..i call it my methodone.

Take it one Day at a Time.

You quit 2 weeks, 4 days, 2 minutes & 9 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 180 cigs, saved EUR 68 and added 15.00 hours to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

I've been smoking since I was 16. Since I've started university I'm smoking more heavily now and I'm seriously considering giving up at this stage. Used to take a bit of a cavalier attitude to it but the cost of it is ridiculous. By the way are the nicotinepatches better than the gum? How long would you be on the patches or gum for? Should you talk to a doctor first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

Hi all,
    Congrats to everyone who are still off the cigs.
    I smoked my last cig last night and am on the patches today.
    I'm eating all around me, got a constant fuzzy feeling in my head, but hopefully this time I'll do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭McCABE1

I'm off the cigarettes since last Wednesday, not finding it too bad yet but I know its the calm before the storm. Planning on not drinking for the entire month of Jan, even then that wont be enough. I know the second that I get a little tanked up, my resolve will weaken !!
    I might go on the patches if I fail cold turkey, tried the gum before but found it horrible, it was like chewing an ash tray!! Discusting.
    I know nobody wants to hear this but aren't you depressed to be off them, I mean I love smoking, love it, love it, love it !! I love being a smoker, the cigarette after dinner, the one when you're just that little bit drunk on a night out, I could go on....I've been smoking though for ten years and am aware of the serious harm so am giving up cause I know I have to, not really cause I want to. It sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

I'm quitting next Saturday, again. Not sure how many times I've been off them for different lengths of time but it's a lot. I'm in my mid thirties, been smoking since my teens. I've used a lot of different things to kickstart the quitting, then haven't smoked for up to three months at a time. I think that posting to and reading this thread will be a positive step towards getting off them completely, for good.

My biggest problem has been forgetting over time all of the reasons that made me quit in the first (and second, third and so on) place. That, coupled with a few pints and the mistaken belief that I'll smoke tonight and have no problems has been nicotine quicksand for me, and for lots of others, I know.

So, yellow fingers crossed for Saturday. Going to smoke myself stupid till then to reinforce the hatred for the fags that I've managed to develop again; then quit. I hope that in six months time and from then on I will be a non-smoker. I would like to say ex-smoker but I think that's maybe pushing it a bit.

Anyway, fair play to all who have kicked the habit, good luck to all who are quitting or thinking of it and come on Munster.

Advertisement