Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to stop smoking, anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

phew..... those space ships in Roscommon, that was me returning. Kinda fell off the wagon a bit, and I was doing soooo well, but hell whata ya goen to do.... I'm very envious of ye who stayed clean but such is life, I'm off em again and its great to be able to breathe freely, the sports are going well again, some slow down while i was puffing the fags, so all good. well done every one....:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Good stuff whacker, glad you're back. Still off them myself. Had to start playing badminton and running to keep the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

hey all just seen this thread as i was scouring the net for help....decided to give up my 20 a day habit yesterday...cold turkey...last night was awful felt dizzy went to bed early just so i wouldnt jump in the car and go buy fags...today not so bad but the cravings are crap at 2 pm ill be a full day nicotine free...best of luck to all...ill keep ye updated

Good work man, welcome aboard. Be careful of those aliens, I thought they smoked whacker!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Hey guys great thread, I've decided I need to quit again too - I quit a couple of years ago (using Allen Carr's book) and lasted nearly a whole year before I fell into the stupid trap of "I can have one or two when I'm out and be grand" trap!! I still don't smoke in work at all and only smoke about 3 or 4 in the evenings, however, I also occasionnally partake in a little of the wacky-backy which doesn't help... :o

I also smoke like a chimney when drinking of course!

In a moment of madness a few weeks ago I signed up to do the Four Peaks Challenge (http://www.focusireland.ie/htm/fundraising/challenges/fourpeaks/index.htm) and have been going to the gym and walking more and more to start the training. This week I've really started to notice an ache in my lungs after exercising so I think it's time to just cut the cord altogether and get rid of the smoking once and for all. I always said I wanted to be fit and healthy by the time I'm 30 (:eek:), which is next year, so gotta just bite the bullet and do it!! Think I'll go for it once and for all next week, I had decided to do monthly resolutions instead of new year resolutions anyway, so this can be my March one.

Fair play to everyone who's lasted off them here, you're all an inspiration to the rest of us go for it and keep trying to escape the nicotine monster! :D

• Advertisement

That's class, best of luck with the peaks challange wobbles. I reckon that's a bit of a mighty step for me, although the exercise I'm doing at the moment has had some serious positive effects. Happy days. Let us know how you get on.

Whacker, you still about? No sign of UFO's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

hey lads just said id guve ye an update ,gave up cold turkey last monday week ...still havent had a fag....will be a fortnight next monday reading the alan carr book its helpful allright ...as for the social end went out last weekend with my friends most of whom smoke...was crappy enough at the time but i felt great the morning after that id been out and not smoked...the biggest thing i find is distracting myself when i get a longing ..after meals is the worst ..but hangin in there!!best of luck to everyone will keep ye posted :)

Hi T! You quit 1 week, 5 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes & 6 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 297 cigs, saved EUR 127 and added 1.03 days to your life

I feel great that i've added 1.03 dayz to my life but REALLY:mad::mad: pissed off that i:mad: didn't stay off them earlier:mad:. Thats the main reason I think I'll do it this time. When I get a craving I get angry that i 'want' to smoke. This is prob my 4th serious attempt at giving them up and I'm kinda used to the withdrawal symptoms at this stage. I'm used to the feeling and know that it'll go away and like someone annoying sitting beside you in the bus, soon they'll piss off and leave you in peace........ So if your new to stopping or have fallen off the wagon, fear not, dust yourself off and do it again (thats what I'm telling myself anyway)
    like they say 'Ones too many, a thousand arn't enough'

'Sup Beertons? How long you off them now?:cool:

Mid October man, and still going strong. How about you? No UFO's about, are there?

• Advertisement

aliens_for_peace.png

You wouldn't believe....

Oct eh, pretty impressive. I'm getting there slowly but I'm feeling good about it I must admit.
    I went off trak this time and even did some reading around people who are trying to give up drink and 'hard' drugs. Really amazing how close the experences are between giving up the cigs and other drugs. It really brings home that old Nic is a real drug, scary.
    Good to see so many people wanting to stop smoking, I reckon we should organise the ex-smoker olympics... hmm
    nobody_smokes_here.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22 miafitz

Keep it up..
    I've never felt so healthy and with so much more engery...it really is so worth it... I've tired before and failed because like most felt i can have just one with a drink... no such thing... I'll never allow myself to be under control of fags... I love how i feel now and feel free from them.. i'm always aware of the cravings.. but i just have to remind myself that a smoke won't change the way i feel or the surroundings i find myself !! like someone said to me before.. imagine 2 people one a smoker.. when out and found the tyres on their car flat... whats the first thing the smoker does ??? of course lights up... and what happens.... is the typre fixed.. no.. it really is gettn back control of your mind...

Good luck everyone x you can do it

YES WE CAN :):):)

Hi T! You quit 3 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes & 7 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 637 cigs, saved EUR 271 and added 2.21 days to your life
    Well said Mia, couldn't have put it better myself!!!
    ]
    REMEMBER NO SUCH THING AS JUST ONE CIG... SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

fag1.jpg31208_GCM_FEA_smoking2_120308.jpg

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 1 day, 7 hours, 26 minutes & 27 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 703 cigs, saved EUR 299 and added 2.44 days to your life.

Howdy everyone! Just thought I'd pass on the good news that I ran the Ballycotton 10 mile yesterday and did it sub 100 minutes:D

Its only cos I stopped smoking...

peyiy_delighted.jpg

Congrats, that's class. I'm going to start doing hill running, the leinster league. I thought I was mad, haven't done anything like 10 miles yet.

to be honest neither had I, goes to show how bad the smokes are for ya.....

x1prBCtpy9yqTpC2JhyrFL7je_8Un79HOprteEtuGI7cVCIYhI4xGe0mEq85Q4W7viEJg_Q5K3ik7H98ogr_3UJ9OBzPMSV4Cw2uUgJ3oKiOB6q-kOA2nJW4A

DO IT BEERTONS!!!!

I'm getting there. No doubt there'll be a few from here doing the hill running. I'll see about joining the Boards AC, don't want to drag down their finishing positions though.

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 5 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes & 8 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 999 cigs, saved EUR 425 and added 3.47 days to your life.

999 cigs unsmoked mad....

hey beer, I have my name in the pot for boards ac but I'm unsure if I'm gonna sign up...you know the way all talk etc.

I've been getting mad cravings of late, the deep empty chest feeling, V annoying:mad: I havnt done any excercise since last weekend so I'm blaming that. Life is a bit busy at the mo so perhaps joining Boards AC may be a good solution.... :confused::confused:

How are you getting on with the whole thing? still free from the weed?

'aight, still free of the weed, per say. The cravings will pass man, they always do. Don't give in, you were my wing man the end of last year, then bailed. If the running thing doesn't suit, there's probably a bike gang out your way. You surely have saved enough for a bike now you're off them again?

• Advertisement

I dont know if I have... allow me to check..

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 5 days, 11 hours, 53 minutes & 19 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,004 cigs, saved EUR 427 and added 3.49 days to your life.

Ohh, perhaps I have.

Only trouble is that I own a bike already......

cartoon_bike1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Good idea! It helped me a lot. Quitting smoking is one of the best things I did!

Well whacker, it's a start!

Hello happy09, what helped you give them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Hi All,

Had my last ciggie last Saturday evening and haven't smoked since. I'm using patches to take the edge of it and I'm doing reasonably well so far.
    Any words of support welcome!!!

Have been a smoker for over 20 years. The longest i have been off them was 6 months back in 2004 I think. Never been an extremely heavy smoker, 10 a day would normally do me.

I'll be 40 next month and as live starts at 40;) I would like to start it smoke free:D

Cheers all,

BL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

beertons wrote: »
    Well whacker, it's a start!

Hello happy09, what helped you give them up?

I just realised that enough is enough. Smelling bad all the time, teeth gums bleeding ...all my life revolved around smoking... Smoke straight away after waking up,smoke on job breaks, smoke before going to sleep....

As well the main thing which helped me give up - is to give up for my partner (he hates smokes...I can't believe he was so patient with me).

Wishing you good luck! My sister gave up smoking after reading Alan Carr's book "How to stop smoking".

Hey biglad, welcome and well done, wanna be smoke free for 40? only one person can do it, you have known him all your life and he is the only one you can coun t on... yes its jesus, wait no its not, its you:D

these are two good sites, use them and all will be easier...

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

http://whyquit.com/

keep in touch and let us know how your getting on!!

Beer thanks for that, LOL stuff... all the way this time, smoke free thats me
    no-smoking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Hello all,

Stopped the fags on Monday 2nd March. Was on 20 a day for over 25 years. So far, so good, but after falling off the wagon one or twice before, I'll go "one day at a time, sweet jebus" :)

Al.

Couple of newbies, welcome. Good luck with the first step. Use this as a diary thingy and let us know how you're doing. We know how hard it is, all been there, and tried giving up loads of times. I'm 5 months off them, but still tell people I'm trying to give them up. I'll always be trying. Some people have actually said to me that they couldn't imagine me holding a ciggy anymore. And they're smokers!

Best of luck lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I'd given up since october and smoked tonight :( **** I feel terrible :(

• Advertisement

I feel for you, had a bad weekend of cravings, didn’t smoke but must admit came close. When you get up this morning your back in the saddle, do something positive today that you wouldn’t do otherwise, big breakfast, long walk, ring your mum/dad. Mark the event and move on. It only really matters if you do it again!!! Sneaking in an evening of smoking happens, what makes it a relapse is if you continue to smoke. You will probably get fresh cravings again so take’m on the chin for what they are, the nicotine addiction dying. Today is the same as yesterday, you are still an ex smoker. If it means going off the booze for a bit until your strady on your feet again so be it Its worth it!

Advertisement