Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to stop smoking, anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

me too

I said I was giving up after the thieving fu budget so on Wednesday morning I bought 60 smokes to finish the work week. I just stubbed my last one (burned my lip trying to get that last drag) and that's it, I'm off
    No patches, no gum, nothing apart from will power and some cold blooded murder of innocents who say hello to me.

The sad part is I know, from previous attempts, my coffee levels will drop as well. It aint the same without a fag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Morning anyoneawake & willing to answer me!Decided Thursday to give up the fags..I do want to give them up completely but find myself in a panic when I think of giving up altogether....anyway Thursday I had 7(cut down from 20+) yesterday I had 4 & 4 puffs of other peoples....so far today....Ive had a puff(Im up since 6.30am)but Im soooo tempted to just buy some & smoke about 10 one after the other.....NEED A FAG....Help.

Maddison wrote: »
    Morning anyoneawake & willing to answer me!Decided Thursday to give up the fags..I do want to give them up completely but find myself in a panic when I think of giving up altogether....anyway Thursday I had 7(cut down from 20+) yesterday I had 4 & 4 puffs of other peoples....so far today....Ive had a puff(Im up since 6.30am)but Im soooo tempted to just buy some & smoke about 10 one after the other.....NEED A FAG....Help.

No you don't, you just think you do, if you buy and smoke them, first you'll feel relief, the guilt, then sick, followed by more guilt

It will pass, I'm on day one of cold turkey, I just keep telling myself, it will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Stay stronger Brothers and Sisters :)

I quit on Tuesday morning so am on day 5. I did need a hand in the form of NiQuitin CQ lozenge, the 4 mg ones, I can highly recommend them, they certainly take the edge of it you can stomach them. I am also in the right mental place so I feel good.

I find I am thinking about smoking less and less, another ten days and the worst should be over.

Keep the faith guys.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

To the last two posters.....I had a drag or two so ive more or less had 1 fag since 6.30am....normally I would probably have had about 10 by now but the ex smokers around me are ear bashing saying whats the point in me trying to give up if Im going to feed the habit.Grrrrr cant win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Stopped smoking last Thurs, at 9.30 am smoked the last one and had no probs till I'd had a few drinks on Mon night. Smoked 3 and nothing again since....fingers crossed I can keep it up. Hope everybody here is doing well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Giddy Girl

Off the cigs One Week today. I'm still taking it one day at a time I used the patch for the first 5 days as I hoped this might give me a fighting chance to stay off the cigs during the first few days and it did, I have now been off the patch since Monday. Had one really bad craving yesterday but I had bought the Nicotine gum and used it and it did help and it made me happier mentally to think I only used one piece of gum all day instead of a patch for 24 hrs. I have to say I found having a few drinks over the long weekend my biggest challenge and I had a couple of good mental arguments with myself to remind me why I didn't want to smoke anymore.
    May we all keep us the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Am using a combination of sublingual tablets and whyquit.com.
    Off them a week with no desire to kill anyone. The whyquit website is of particualr significance as I am the father of two young kids, and I am the same age as the construction worker mentioned in the website.
    I am not scared of dying, but dying before my kids are of an age to fend for themselves, not seeing my son pass his milestones, or walking my daughter down the aisle fills me with dread - biggest reason for me to quit, and so far so good.
    Meeting your maker by way of a car crash or accident is one thing, but lying on your deathbed watching your kids/wife/parents crying over your diseased body, while knowing the illness was self induced, knowing that you could have done something about it, but didn`t, is not the way I want to go...I reckon I will have have enough emotions going thru me at that particular time without having to deal with guilt as well.
    Whenever I feel like succumbing to temptation I just think of the above scenario.
    Works every time.

daveco23 wrote: »
    The whyquit website is of particualr significance as I am the father of two young kids, and I am the same age as the construction worker mentioned in the website.

Very scary site, esp Bryan, I'm 34 and it is scary to realise that the "effects" are not years in the future, they could be today.
    But, I'm off them a week tomorrow using the turkey method. It isn't so bad, and now if I get a desire, I need only think of that picture of Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

WOW... I really think ye are all fantastic!!!

I have had MAD cravings for the last few days but reading the posts above brings it home to me that I'm really not... Its great to be off them for so long and to realise that what I thought were bad cravings really arnt at all!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it getts easier, its easier every day and more rewarding!

To those just starting; get over the hump of the first three days to those a little longer high 5's all round!

Also thanks to all posters, this thread is helping me a lot, I hope its helping you too!

There is mention of web sites, check this too it calc money and health savings.

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

• Advertisement

Hello fellow quitters,:)

I quit on budget day and am still going. I find now when I wake up in the morning it may be an hour or so before I even think of fags, the first few days I woke up thinking about them.

Lets stay strong :D

I quit on budget day and am still going. I find now when I wake up in the morning it may be an hour or so before I even think of fags, the first few days I woke up thinking about them.

I haven't really had any cravings :confused: I seldom think of smokes. I'm 6 days off but so far beyond a few 5 minute craves I've been fine.
    I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far this has been easy.

note: I'm using the cold turkey method so was expecting hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Giddy Girl

Well the one thing about having two budgets is it made my mind up that the government were not getting any more of my hard earned money so the cigarettes had to go so I'm another eve of budget day no smoker. Its great to see all the support on the boards and well done to everyone.

So may the force be with you and us all

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

im off them now since january, smoked pretty heavy for 13 years, i just went cold turkey. Its all in your head, with the price of the buggers now im glad im off em, never felt better, no coughing, no bad smell, more money,more energy,better sleep, at the end of the day your just blowing smoke out your mouth its retarded. the cravings have gone for me after three months, im off them 4 months now. never thought id be able to say that,:D

Well, I feel I need to congratulate myself, I didn't smoke!

I was out last night to the ACDC concert (fecking billiant by the way) and didn't smoke all night. We started with a couple of pints in OReilly's, in the smoking garden, No smokey for me (tempted but whyquit.com told me no) then went on to the concert, no smoking followed by to messers (SP?) on the quays, again no smoking!

I would just like the world to know, I am fecking great:D:D:D:D

:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would just like the world to know, I am fecking great

Yes you are and well done!
    I spent yesterday in my back garden drinking wine.
    I also did not smoke.

I to am great! :D
    Today is day number 7 without a ciggie.
    I've notice that hangovers aren't quite as bad when you're smoke free. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I would just like the world to know, I am fecking great:D:D:D:D

:P

Yes you are!

/pats your back

I'd say it was a tough weekend for everyone. The good weather bring people out to the beer gardens, and it's kinda putting people back outside with the smokers.I didn't go near the pubs this weekend, trying to get the garden and bbq ready for the supposed summer, (please don't come early this year). And I'm doing my first hill run on wednesday, Bray Head. Aaaaagh

Hello to all the newbies, and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

You guys rock. I've set Wednesday 29th April as my date. I'm back from a trip to Everest, and bloody hell did I feel the effects of smoking.

If anyone else wants to start around Wed let me know and we'll see how we get on.

Smoking for 7 years (since i was 20, idiotic).... Stopped for 1 year just cold turkey (no Alan Carr) and a few times with Alan Carr, whyquit etc... but very patchy and a LOT of cheating.

So fingers crossed, and thanks guys for lighting a fire under me again!

R

Hello fellow quitters:pac:

I am on day 1. I am thinking about ciggies every frigging second but I feel strong about it. I know I am in for a hard couple of weeks after that it will be smooth sailing.

If the fags hit a tenner a pack later today, that will encourage me no end.

Best of luck everyone:D

This was my first post on day one. Tomorrow is three weeks and things are much easier. The time does fly.

To all those starting, take one day at a time and you will be a successful quitter.

Stay strong. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Two weeks today.
    Am still going strong. :D

• Advertisement

I'm sitting on Day 16.9

its gotten a lot easier, I'm definitely off them for good

I now swear by whyQuit. That more than anything else has made me re-program my brain permanently.

Best of luck to all quitters:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger77

No cigs are nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

its gotten a lot easier, I'm definitely off them for good

D

remember
    N.A.P.E.

Agree about whyquit.com
    If you would like to stop smoking, its a good place to start.

Pal wrote: »
    remember
    N.A.P.E.

Wassa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Wassa?

I think it's a typo - it should be N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff, Ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well, I haven't posted here for a bit, its great to see so many people taking the plunge...

Confession, I smoked 4 cigs last fri:mad:

Not a disaster though, stayed away since, its certainly a set back though.
    I had a bad chest and 'head' infection up to last week, had to go to the gp, she said its a great sign etc etc clearing out etc etc, and then I went off and smoked:mad::mad:

God Damn Itcartman.jpg

ANYWAY... just thought I'd share witht he group...

I'm cross now again:mad::mad:

I'm off to give out to myself

Well, I haven't posted here for a bit, its great to see so many people taking the plunge...

Confession, I smoked 4 cigs last fri:mad:

Not a disaster though, stayed away since, its certainly a set back though.
    I had a bad chest and 'head' infection up to last week, had to go to the gp, she said its a great sign etc etc clearing out etc etc, and then I went off and smoked:mad::mad:

you were on the wagon, you stumbled, get back on and don't worry about it. Just don't do it again:(

:):)

Good stuff whacker, at least you owned up. Back on the cart now. If you kick it before the god weather starts, you can enjoy the beer gardens without feeling the urge to smoke. I was in Antwerp at the weeknd, and the bars were very smokey. Nearly died in the Irish Bar, man there were that many smoking, I thought they were giving them away free.

Still off them though, lungs feel great. I need them now for the hill runs. How's everyone else doing? Welcome to the newbie quitters, and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Hi there everyone,
    Just a quick update: I am off them 7 months now and most of the time I don`t even think about it anymore. There`s still the odd craving here and there but to be honest, it`s more like fleeting though: it doesn`t linger.

Good luck to the newbies and take my word, it DOES get easier. Anyhow, herè`s a question to the guys who quit around the same time as me-- are you planning to do anything to mark one year off them? Ì`ve been thinking I`m going to have some kind of small celebration like taking myself out to a top notch restuarant and buying a new outfit- that sort of thing. I think it`s important for quitters to recognise the huge achievement that stopping smoking is.

:) Ruthie

• Advertisement

Anyhow, herè`s a question to the guys who quit around the same time as me-- are you planning to do anything to mark one year off them? Ì`ve been thinking I`m going to have some kind of small celebration like taking myself out to a top notch restuarant and buying a new outfit- that sort of thing. I think it`s important for quitters to recognise the huge achievement that stopping smoking is.

I'm heading off to Malaysia for 3 weeks in October, so that might be classed as my treat. On the other hand, that was paid for before I gave up. Trying to save for a house/wedding at the same time, so doubt I would be allowed!

Advertisement