Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to stop smoking, anyone want to join me?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

beertons wrote: »
    Still off them though, lungs feel great. I need them now for the hill runs.

Hey Beertons, I'm guilty of a bit of lurking I'm afraid... congrats on the running, your inspirational:pac:
    I have been spotting on the forum and its great to see your doing it and doing so well.
    Fighting for fitness myself with the bike. I'm signed up for a few cycles and gael force so might get some uphill tips off you over the next while. Be sure to let me know if your down south for some real climbs!!!:D

Congrats to all that have stopped smoking:cool:
    Keep it up. The GF quit yesterday so that will make my life easier now that I have a team mate... now to get her on her bike.

Later all,
    Beer, I'll be watching:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oh jesus, don't ask me bout the uphills, I'm terrible at them. Enduro and Co would be much better to advise. Caherconree might be on the cards this year, a warm up for Carantouhill!

are you planning to do anything to mark one year off them? I think it`s important for quitters to recognise the huge achievement that stopping smoking is.
    :) Ruthie

Thats the idea:D

You should have a good old think about it, wile a restaurant would be nice perhaps something that will last may be better, depending on what your into... but something that every time you see it, you will be reminded what hard work you have put in and how well you have done. Work out how much you will have saved and that will justify your spend (if your looking to really splash put in the cost of buying a lung or two as well)
    Going on that logic you could really have a good time or buy your self something nice
    beertons wrote: »
    Oh jesus, don't ask me bout the uphills, I'm terrible at them. !

phha, I wont be listening to your excuses after all you have achived!!
    (no pressure:pac:)
    You should start a thread, 'from puffer to pounder' or I see the book deal for 'I climbed my mountain then ran up one' or the movie 'from smoking illness to altitude sickness'... it just keeps on giving:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pbody1985

hey all my quit date is monday .. !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

im actually having panic attacks thinking about it now ... ive tryed so many times to stop ! but always my will power backs down and end up running to a shop! .. i know is all in the head aswell ! and have to to keep ur mind occupied but i i simply can not afford it anymore and also my health too my skin is horrible always really dry .. so always lapping on face cream but next day same thing ! .. im really going to try this time .. when i think about this thought i not having a smoke in my hand i get butterflys on ma tummy :pac::pac::pac:

Yeah... you and everyone else who quits:D:D:D

I reckon you would benifit from read such books as Alan Carr, pick up a copy today, read it over the weekend and HAPPY DAYS MONDAY:pac::pac:

Also check out these

You get a counter with this that will keep you going.... http://www.stopsmoking.ie/index.php

This is full of good reading http://whyquit.com/

read through this thread, it always helps me as there are some fantistic posters here!

Best of luck:pac:

(we expect a post monday morning from you):cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

Hi all,
    Tomorrow is quit day for me. I was off for 2 years before but started again 6 months ago. I keep trying and last about a week every time. Now its for real! I want to get back to the gym but I don't have the energy when I smoke. I've been diagnosed with high blood pressure so have to go on medication for that. I just have to be strong this time and not give in to buying a pack when I get bored. Wish me luck!
    A.

Good luck to the newbies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Andy_R wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Tomorrow is quit day for me. I was off for 2 years before but started again 6 months ago. I keep trying and last about a week every time. Now its for real! I want to get back to the gym but I don't have the energy when I smoke. I've been diagnosed with high blood pressure so have to go on medication for that. I just have to be strong this time and not give in to buying a pack when I get bored. Wish me luck!
    A.

Tomorrow is now today. Let us know how you get on.
    You should feel great by Saturday.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

Day 2, first time trying cold turkey. I was grand until this evening, would have loved a beer and a cigarette in the sunshine but I didn't give in! I can't wait until my mouth doesn't taste of cigarettes in the mornings, only a few more days for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I gave up on monday, been smoking for nearly 20 years and im only 32. Its now or never. I'm very fit and can really feel them. I'm serious this time, i've even given up smoking joints which was my downfall before. Cant smoke joints and not cigs. I've been using the gum to great affect so far. The girlfriend has given up as well, gives me added incentive as i'm not gonna have her outdo me :D
    Wish me luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

off them 11 days now, haven't had so much as a puff and not using gum or anything. Also gave up the joints as that was my downfall before. I'm off them about a month. Ha ha, last time i gave up i started smoking joints in the morning.... stupid. 12 years of smoking hopefully have come to end for good. I went 4 days last week without spending 1 cent. Brought my lunch to work and didn't need smokes so didn't have to spend anything. It's great.

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

11 months off t'day...

My 'top' 'tip':
    run a minimum of 5km, 3 times a week, running up & down any hill you 'happen upon'... learn to love the wheeze-y pain... after about 6 months of this, your addiction to running will (possibly 'roundly') beat your cigarette-addiction to death one night, most likely using a rock in a sock...

K

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

hey whacker
    I see your still there and fair play to you, and all the others who have taken the plunge
    the Gall

Advertisement