Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpark

Options
  • 13-10-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a cheap car park I can use in the city centre I parked in one the other day and they charged me a ridiculas amount.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

No such thing tbh, they are all a rip off.
    If you live close to town then get the bus or cycle/walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

The carpark on the Dyke Road ( Beside the Omniplex ) charg I think €4 per day.Tis the best value if your parking for a few hours.

The one beside the Catheral is the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

neosmaster wrote: »
    The carpark on the Dyke Road ( Beside the Omniplex ) charg I think €4 per day.Tis the best value if your parking for a few hours.

The one beside the Catheral is the same price.

WOW, I stand corrected, €4 per day is pretty good.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Thanks.

I believe you need to get there very early to get a spot though, obviously a lot of people also consider €4/day good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think the one up by the dog track is also four yo-yo per day.

Personally, I catch the bus or a taxi. A lot less hassle looking for a park that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    I believe you need to get there very early to get a spot though, obviously a lot of people also consider €4/day good value!

All the spaces here are gone way before 9am!!! You used to be able to park very reasonably in the actual cathedral grounds; but then the 'charitable' priests put the prices up!!!

The cost of parking in Galway really irritates me; but thats a rant for another day!! I spend so much on it, I think I would be better off actually renting a space somewhere!!

On a Saturday or in the summer months the bish car park is good value. Also the supervalu on FR griffin rd is a euro an hr with the first hr free; tho that is a wee bit out!! Close to the city centre the docks is marginally cheaper; but don't run overtime on your ticket as they are RIDICULOUSLY quick to clamp!!! Also Roches/Jurys/hynes yard are now all cheaper(by 40c an hour) to park in than on the street!

There is one spot where one can still park for free; but I won't be posting that here for obvious reasons!!! PM me if you wanna know where;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well i passed the Dyke Road carpark yesterday morning at approx 9.25am and there were plenty of parking spaces left on the Black Box side. Was a bit surprised to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well i passed the Dyke Road carpark yesterday morning at approx 9.25am and there were plenty of parking spaces left on the Black Box side. Was a bit surprised to be honest....
    I've parked there a few times and it seems to be weather-dependent e.g. if it's pouring rain then it'll be full but if it's a reasonable day then it won't be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This year Galway City Council is eager to attract daily commuters, particularly those who work in the City Centre. In order to encourage workers to leave their car at Galway Racecourse and Park and Ride to the City Centre, Galway City Council highlights that it is offering a highly attractive package to commuters including:

* (i) an all-day parking fare of just €2 which includes bus travel to the City Centre for the car driver and all his/her passengers i.e. passengers travel free
    * (ii) bus frequency every 15 minutes to Galway Coach Station at Eyre Square commencing every morning at 07:30 until 21:30 (Monday to Saturday)
    * (iii) City Centre stop at Galway Coach Station, which offers state of the art facilities for our customers and
    * (iv) as usual buses on the route provide first class comfort.

Commenting on the service one City Centre worker stated: “I give full marks to the Park and Ride service, the staff are lovely…I got onto a warm, comfortable bus and arrived in the City Centre all for just €2 return…I couldn’t believe it!”

There you go, all-day parking for €2 and a comfy bus!
    Has anyone used this service in the morning, does the bus get stuck in traffic for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

There is one spot where one can still park for free; but I won't be posting that here for obvious reasons!!! PM me if you wanna know where;)

shhhh... shudddup!

Don't be giving away such secrets :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The Park and Ride definetly is a good option for anyone coming in from that side of town. Although not sure how fast the bus would get into town in heavy early morning traffic - probably wouldn't take any longer than in a car to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's all well and good if you live on the east side of the city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If it's the one I'm thinking of it does seem bizarre the way it is. Like a Japanese soldier still fighting WW2, it holds out despite the jig being long up.
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Soon to become €6 per day and €2.80 per hour for on street parking. Bear in mind that this rate is only 10c less per hour than the on street parking in central Dublin.

I hope to god that this coupled with the massively disproportionate hike in commercial rates backfires completely and they end up with a net loss on the whole affair. It would serve them right for seemingly resting most of the budget on development levies from the building acre by acre of ****box car-dependent duplexes, designed with all the finesse of Helen Keller's less talented younger sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Any cheap/free parking near the Crescent?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Has anyone used this service in the morning, does the bus get stuck in traffic for long?

If your shopping though its always nice to be able to drop stuff back to the car every now and again rather than carrying it around all day you cant beat the car*.

As said above op the dyke road and cathedral are the best value at 4 euro for the day.

*I hate all forms of public transport.

Well get over it. The planet cannot afford attitudes like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

JustMary wrote: »
    Personally, I catch the bus or a taxi.

Solar powered taxis, is it?:confused:

I will drive what I like and when I like thank you.

Dont get me started on that myth about humans causing climate change bandwagon! Have a good look into it there are a lot of very respected scientists that are against all the rubbish we listen to everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dont get me started on that myth about humans causing climate change bandwagon! Have a good look into it there are a lot of very respected scientists that are against all the rubbish we listen to everyday.

:eek:
    Name me one respected scientist that is not backed by a vested interest lobby think-tank that is against this climate change hypothesis

I agree with you to a point, everyone over 18 must by law have a car that can only have one person in it when in use and cause round-the-clock traffic mayhem in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Of course you can drive what you like when you like its a democracy after all, just a shame you have to be a self centered ..... (am sure people on the board will insert their own word here :-))

And stop trolling about climate change

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    Of course you can drive what you like when you like its a democracy after all, just a shame you have to be a self centered ..... (am sure people on the board will insert their own word here :-))

And stop trolling about climate change

I am not trolling I am just stating my opinion. Leaving the debate on climate change aside, the co2 emissions from cars is very small compared to the co2 emitted from industry and power generation. So until all fossil fuel power generation has been replaced with nuclear power I will have very little time for anybody who is trying to argue about cars being evil. I am very interested in cars so im afraid I will not be changing my interests anytime soon.

There is no reason why you cant have an interest in cars and still realise and appreciate that there is an issue caused by Co2 car emissions and our dependence on oil.
    Small changes in lifestyle made by people in the western world would make a huge difference.
    If you think about it, say if people in the UK and Ireland made just one less car journey a week that would amount to approx 1.3 billion car journeys a year -that is a hell of a lot of pollutants and Co2.
    Now I agree that there are a lot of other areas change can be made that are more headline grabbing such as nuclear power but from acorns, oak trees grow

I am very interested in cars so im afraid I will not be changing my interests anytime soon.

In that case, you should be very interested in making sure that our scarce oil supplies last longer than they're currently projected to. Unless you want to start driving a gutless electric car ;-)

In that case, you should be very interested in making sure that our scarce oil supplies last longer than they're currently projected to. Unless you want to start driving a gutless electric car ;-)

This is why I would like to see all power generation to be nuclear! In any case cars can run on E85(85% bio ethanol) with a simple remap but it is very hard to get only a few stations have it in the country. If it was more wide spread I have no doubt it would be used especially by performance car owners as cars running an E85 map are more powerful than the petrol equivalent and will pass the NCT with the catalytic converter removed rather than having to put in the cat for the nct and then take it out again after.

This is why I would like to see all power generation to be nuclear! In any case cars can run on E85(85% bio ethanol) with a simple remap but it is very hard to get only a few stations have it in the country. If it was more wide spread I have no doubt it would be used especially by performance car owners as cars running an E85 map are more powerful than the petrol equivalent and will pass the NCT with the catalytic converter removed rather than having to put in the cat for the nct and then take it out again after.

The jury is very much out on whether biofuels will be a viable replacement due to the amount of land that will have to be turned over from agriculture or further destruction of forest etc.
    If people want to stick their head in the sand then thats fine but they will be in for a rude awakening. Nox if you have a 'performance' car then you will most likely be one of those first affected by being priced off the road unless attitudes change.
    Changing to Nuclear will also just scrape the surface of the changes that are needed so dont be expecting that to be your salvation to drive your car!

In any case cars can run on E85(85% bio ethanol) with a simple remap but it is very hard to get only a few stations have it in the country.

And sure, no one needs the food supplies that the bio source was providing before.

... cars running an E85 map are more powerful than the petrol equivalent and will pass the NCT with the catalytic converter removed rather than having to put in the cat for the nct and then take it out again after.

So you're telling us that your car is running illegally? Even more of a reason for you to get to like public transport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And sure, no one needs the food supplies that the bio source was providing before.
    All bio-ethanol produced in Ireland (like the Maxol E85 the poster is using) is produced using by products of food production. I believe it comes from whey discarded by a cheese making concern.

If he can pass an NCT running on E85 without a catalytic convertor, he is compliant with the law.

Some people are very hard to please. I mentioned an alternative to petrol and its shot down. Really I dont care to be honest.

So you're telling us that your car is running illegally? Even more of a reason for you to get to like public transport.

No the car I have at the moment has a cat, well at the moment anyway(Im not using E85 as the closest to Galway that sells it is in Clare). The fact is whether or not I like public transport it would not be possible for me to use it anyway as it does not exist once you get outside the city although if I had the choice of getting a bus and having to leave for my destination when the bus goes rather than when I want to go I know which I would choose. I lived in London for a year and I still drove to most places rather than packed hot tubes or buses that stop every 10 seconds.

This is very far off topic for this thread tbh so I have said all im going to say.

Advertisement