Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House with Basement and Fire (Regs).

• 13-10-2008 4:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am working on a two storey house atm that will have a (non-habitable) basement.

The only practical way to organise the staircase is a continuous staircase from basemnet - through ground floor - to first floor and ideally for aesthetic and other reasons there should be no seperating wall/doors to seperate the main staircase from the basemnet staircase.

Building Regs (Part B) would suggest that 'the stairway serving the upper storey should not extend down to the basement'

I know this is a bit of technical/specific question but has anybody come across this before and possible alternative measures to comply with Regs? As I said abovem the basement will be non-habitable.

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Firstly, i'd point of that is more than a "suggestion", in TGD B regard basements.

And try doing a search (button at the top of the forum page). Th issue came up before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

As the building owner you are legally required to build in full compliance with the Building Regulations. Thats the law.

The issue of the basement being "non-habital" isn't an improvement or exception to the law, as this basement could be used to store paint, oil, petrol in a strimmer etc. Such hazardous materials could combust and travel to the ground & first floor, via an open staircase.

If we assume you sleep on the first floor, and an electrical fault causes a fire to start in the basement, the ground floor is engulfed quickly, via the open staircase - How do you get out?
    As the Borg might say "Non-compliance is futile".

Discuss same with your Mortgage Certifier / seek proper Professional advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'd love to suggest to the Fire Officers around here that the guidance in TGD B is only suggestive, they'd burn me at the stake for being a heritic!! Seriously the stairs to the basement must be seperated from the rest of the stairs by fire resisting construction and you may also need fire doors on all the ope off the stair well too as the house is over two stories!!

Advertisement