Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Prunty Testemonial

• 13-10-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just saw something on the back of the Kevin Hunt testemonial. Apparently there's one being planned for Sean Prunty now down in Longford. Hopefully it'll raise a lot of money for him, was proper bad the way he got done in Drogheda, but I guess they're all in a bad way now. But hopefully Prunty gets a bit out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Looking forward to this and I do hope there is a large turn out. Planned for 21 November, here's the details so far
    link
    Put it in your diary now, Friday November 21st, Flancare Park. That's the date for the Sean Prunty Testimonial which will be an event not to be missed.
    Everyone associated with sport in Longford and a fair few who know nothing , all know of Sean Prunty. Without any doubt, Sean was the most talented soccer player to have lived and worked in Longford for decades. He has the medals to prove his success on the pitch. Off the pitch, you couldn't meet a nicer, more friendly person. If any charity wanted a well known happy smiley face,Sean was your man. After the games the youngsters all flocked to Sean for photographs and autographs. Having Sean Prunty on a Longford Town team simply meant more people paid in to see a match.
    At the end of last season, it was no surprise that Sean was snapped up by (the then) cash rich Drogheda Utd. It was a measure of his incredible popularity locally that everyone wished him well as he headed Boyneside to pursue his career. Tragically while in Spain on pre-season training, Sean got the awful news that there was a problem with his heart, which straight away ended his dream of full time soccer.
    Hence the Testimonial for Sean on November 21st. Plans are coming together now nicely and it's encouraging to see how many former players, managers and even sports writers are helping out for the occasion.
    The game itself will be a Town Legends selection managed by Stephen Kenny and Alan Mathews taking on a Town Selection managed by Vinny Perth and Pat Walker, who played for Gillingham and Bohs and is now involved in management in Scandanavia. The complete list of players will be announced later but already those who want to play at Flancare are top class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

kerash wrote: »
    Looking forward to this and I do hope there is a large turn out. Planned for 21 November, here's the details so far
    link

Thanks a mil!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was going to post a thread on this, glad to see it going ahead and it promises to be a great night up in Flansiro. Just a shame what happened to Prunty. A gentleman and great player for us. Planning something a bit special for the night. All will be revealed on the night of the game.

I hope the people of Longford get out and support this event. It might help restore the little bit of faith I have left in the Longford supporting public.

The club is going down a very horibble road, the club lotto siutation is just the latest in a long line of faux-pas, Gints Fermanis is a standout one too.

Like you Ronan I just want everyone to get in behind this, he deserved professional football.

Ah look there's bebo too....

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7927501133

Sunset V wrote: »
    The club is going down a very horibble road, the club lotto siutation is just the latest in a long line of faux-pas, Gints Fermanis is a standout one too.

Like you Ronan I just want everyone to get in behind this, he deserved professional football.

Ah look there's bebo too....

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7927501133

Aye the missing out on signing Gints in time was a joke...

• Advertisement

Just to let everyone know tickets can be got from ticketmaster or if you would like to contribute to the match but will not be able to make it, virtual tickets are now on sale from http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140275849217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Hope the testimonial goes well. It's never nice to see a genuine player end his career because of health problems. Best of luck to him in the future.
    Aye the missing out on signing Gints in time was a joke...
    Hopefully he'll be back in Cork next season :)

Well by the looks of it, full time football is a no no in Cork anymore so maybe Gints might settle for the princely sum of €135 p/w he was promised at the town.... :D

Great job on the sig Ronan, ticketmaster have got the real tickets up and going too!

Also playing on the night, but for the Longford Town select, will be World Cup winner Marco Tardelli, current co-manager of the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Great addition to what will be a great night in Longford.

Ah Marco! Legend! He has to score.....

Jeez there's serious pick up in a few of the papers today following on from the launch yesterday. Great to see the likes of the Indo giving him such a plug!

Full steam ahead for Nov 21 now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Fair play to Tardelli

Aye, fair play indeed. Should hopefully encourage a few more people to come along..

Following from Sunset V's comment above - Just spotted this interview with Sean, an excellent piece and an insight into why this testimonal is needed.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/seething-prunty-still-cant-forgive-drogheda-1511988.html

I see Celtic Legend JOHAN MJALBY has been added to the Longford Town select team with Tardelli!

I see Celtic Legend JOHAN MJALBY has been added to the Longford Town select team with Tardelli!

Excellent the more the merrier!:D

Here's that news taken from
    http://www.seanpruntytestimonial.com/news_23177.html
    Johan Mjallby confirmed for Sean's game (November 04, 2008)
    JOHAN MJALLBY has confirmed that he will play for Longford Town in the forthcoming Sean Prunty Testimonial.

The former Celtic and Sweden star has agreed to visit Flancare Park and play alongside Marco Tardelli in the Black and Red stripes.

Mjallby was at Parkhead for six seasons between 1998 and 2004 and played at the 2002 World Cup Finals for his native Sweden.

At Celtic, he was part of the treble winning side of 2001 and starred in the 2003 run to the UEFA Cup Final in Seville.

Throughout his six years at Celtic Park he picked up three Scottish Premier League Winner's medals, two League Cup Winner's medals, two Scottish Cup Winner's medals, two Scottish Cup Runners Up medals, one League Cup Runners Up medal and a UEFA Cup Runners Up medal as well as featuring in the Champions League in 2001/02 and 2002/03.

During his time at Celtic, Mjallby captained the team on several occasions. He is regarded as the best defender to have player for the club in recent decades but is also highly regarded as a midfielder. He is now 37.

Mjallby will be joined by former Sweden colleague Pontus Kamark in the Longford side managed by Carlow native Pat Walker. Kamark won a bronze medal at the 1994 World Cup finals in the USA alongside Henrik Larsson.

Looks to be shaping up nicely. Heres hoping for a good turnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Should be a good night with all the Longford boys from the Kenny and Matthews era returning for the night, Gucci, Macker, Digger and Weso etc back in the Red n Black!

Just bumping this up, Friday night, 6:45 in Flancare Park.

Just bumping this up, Friday night, 6:45 in Flancare Park.

And that would be tomorrow.
    Banners at the ready!!!
    Really looking forward to this.
    :)

Yup, hope it is a great night for on of the greatest players we ever had in Longford. Hoping a decent crowd turns out for this.

• Advertisement

If the rain stays away, there'll be a crowd! Us Longford folk don't like a good soaking. Only problem is the time, it is very early but hey jsut an excuse to get out of work early I guess!

There's pics with Tardelli, Sean and Johan in every paper this mornnig. I think Tardelli said something like: "The mind is willing even if the legs aren't!" I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea. REALLY want to see THAT celebration! :D

If the rain stays away, there'll be a crowd! Us Longford folk don't like a good soaking. Only problem is the time, it is very early but hey jsut an excuse to get out of work early I guess!

There's pics with Tardelli, Sean and Johan in every paper this mornnig. I think Tardelli said something like: "The mind is willing even if the legs aren't!" I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea. REALLY want to see THAT celebration! :D

I don't care if there is a force 10 gale, it will be a disgrace if the people in the locality do not turn out for the game.

A really enjoyable night in Flancare, tinged with some sadness of course, but great to see a good crowd turning out to support Sean. Hopefully a good amount was raised out of it.
    If anyone is interested, click my sig for pics of the night (courtesy of Ray Donlon photography.) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Great night!

I am in one of those pics how would I go about getting a copy!

Great night!

I am in one of those pics how would I go about getting a copy!

Cool, I presume it best to contact http://www.raydonlon.com/order.html
    I dont know anything about them, just found those pics and thought they were good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Many at it?

Around 1700 I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Around 1700 I would say.

That's a great attendence.

There's a nice piece on LTFC.ie http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=6ec026b5-21e5-436c-be15-cc660442b422
    on the nights events, if anyone might be interested:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement