Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair of faulty plasma screen

Options
  • 13-10-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

HI all

Hope I am posting in right place-did a lot of reading so fingers crossed!!
    Bought a 50 inch Samsung form Harvey Norman on Nov 17 07. It stopped working last Friday. Called Harvey Norman who advised I could come and collected a loan replacement (after a bit of presuading).
    They gave us a 37 inch which had no remote and no facility to hook up play station/computer which is one of the main reaosns we got the original product. Today after the whole day on the phone I finally got them to report the problem to Samsung (they were relucatant to let me do it myself).
    I finally have the fault reported and am now waiting on a call from a courier company who will take the set to a company called BAVS for repair. I have not been given a time of collection yet and BAVS are telling me 7-10 working days before I even have a diagnosis!!
    In the meantime I called Harvey Norman back and a very rude guy would not listen to my request for an upgrade of the replacement they gave me. Said they are under no obligaiton to give me a replacement whilst waiting for repairs and I am basically luck with what I have.
    Is he correct?
    It is hardly fair that I can be without the tc I paid 1500 for less than a year ago for possibly 2 weeK. Anyone any advice for me and sorry for rambling..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The temporary replacement is totally at the discretion of the retailer, and this is the first time I've ever heard of it for a purchased (as opposed to hire) TV. As such, they do not have to give you an upgrade on this, as they don't have to give you anything at all.

The fact that they won't let you talk to Samsung is strange though. You could probably ring Samsung yourself and see what's happening. There may be a contact number, if you don't have it, in the user manual/warranty that came with the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

jor el wrote: »
    The fact that they won't let you talk to Samsung is strange though. You could probably ring Samsung yourself and see what's happening. There may be a contact number, if you don't have it, in the user manual/warranty that came with the TV.
    The agents who looked after Samsung service in Ireland (crowd called Dimpco) stopped doing so a good number of months back. Samsung UK don't look after ROI at all so there will be no benefit to ringing them. It's pretty much up to the retailer now whom they choose to forward the faulty item onto.

OP if you wish to chase up on it in the meantime, your best bet would be to ring HN's service agent whom you say is Bennett Audio/Visual (BAVS) themselves on (01) 4018103 (number coming up for them in the phonebook). Really though, HN should be looking after it promptly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Kensington wrote: »
    The agents who looked after Samsung service in Ireland (crowd called Dimpco) stopped doing so a good number of months back. Samsung UK don't look after ROI at all so there will be no benefit to ringing them. It's pretty much up to the retailer now whom they choose to forward the faulty item onto.

Surely if you've got a Samsung TV under manufacturer's warranty they can't just wash their hands of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As has been said, you've no entitlement of any sort of replacement from Harvey Normans, you're lucky you got one in fact. We had an issue with a Philips T.V. bought from there and had no problems dealing Philips directly in getting the issue corrected, in fact I think Harveys were happy that they weren't invovled in the loop at all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

MOH wrote: »
    Surely if you've got a Samsung TV under manufacturer's warranty they can't just wash their hands of you?
    How exactly are they washing their hands of you? If you have a Samsung TV which is faulty, you take it back to the shop who will advise how it's taken from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

they won't give you a TV of equal spec because,say in two weeks samsung ring them and say, "yup there was half a litre of coke spilled in this,were not fixing it due to liquid damage the warranty is void"
    then whats to stop you refusing to pay for the repair,and just keeping the replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Maybe a little late posting here - but I too have to return a Samsung item for repair under warranty with BAVS (DVD recorder).

1. Samsung UK are responsible for warranty repairs in Ireland - they just choose to outsource the repair to save transporting goods to the UK.

2. As consumers your contract is with the retail store - you have the right to return goods to them directly - letting them send the goods for repair under warranty - or they can replace them. Mostly it will depend on how old the product is (less than 28 days is probably a replacement).

3. You also have the right to go directly to the manufacturer. Many stores will suggest you do this as it is less hassle for them.

4. I fairly sure a store is NOT obliged to offer a replacement while you wait for repair. I think you should consider it good customer service that you got a temp TV at all. Certainly they don't have to give you one of the same spec you bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

griff07 wrote: »
    HI all

Hope I am posting in right place-did a lot of reading so fingers crossed!!
    Bought a 50 inch Samsung form Harvey Norman on Nov 17 07. It stopped working last Friday. Called Harvey Norman who advised I could come and collected a loan replacement (after a bit of presuading).
    They gave us a 37 inch which had no remote and no facility to hook up play station/computer which is one of the main reaosns we got the original product. Today after the whole day on the phone I finally got them to report the problem to Samsung (they were relucatant to let me do it myself).
    I finally have the fault reported and am now waiting on a call from a courier company who will take the set to a company called BAVS for repair. I have not been given a time of collection yet and BAVS are telling me 7-10 working days before I even have a diagnosis!!
    In the meantime I called Harvey Norman back and a very rude guy would not listen to my request for an upgrade of the replacement they gave me. Said they are under no obligaiton to give me a replacement whilst waiting for repairs and I am basically luck with what I have.
    Is he correct?
    It is hardly fair that I can be without the tc I paid 1500 for less than a year ago for possibly 2 weeK. Anyone any advice for me and sorry for rambling..

Use the two weeks to go walk the dog or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Martin_F wrote: »
    3. You also have the right to go directly to the manufacturer. Many stores will suggest you do this as it is less hassle for them.

I would disagree here. Any store that suggests such a thing is fobbing you off. Let them deal with Samsung (who are notoriously difficult in the first place). If you deal with them, you don't have the same clout as a store, and you'll probably do something wrong in the process, setting the timeframe for repair back.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

that was my point -you have the right to deal with either the retailer or the manufacturer - the choice is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I would disagree here. Any store that suggests such a thing is fobbing you off. Let them deal with Samsung (who are notoriously difficult in the first place). If you deal with them, you don't have the same clout as a store, and you'll probably do something wrong in the process, setting the timeframe for repair back.

it depends. a few companies, apple for example, have a very efficient returns process that's a lot easier for all concerned. they tell retailers that they shouldn't deal with returns and should send people to them.

it doesn't follow the letter of the law but it's a good system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pannoowau

its a good conversation....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

griff07 wrote: »
    They gave us a 37 inch which had no remote and no facility to hook up play station/computer which is one of the main reaosns we got the original product. Is he correct?

All tvs made in the past 15 years have a SCART socket in the back or side of the tv so saying you cant use a playstation or computer is wrong. You just need to look round back and use the cable/scart adapter that came with the playstation lead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

A crowd called ASD deal with Samsung in Ireland. There phone no is 01 822 1350. try giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, please note that the original thread is a year old and was dragged up by a spammer. Please leave it die.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement