Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Dublin on an November Evening

Options
  • 13-10-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hope you can help me with this. I will be looking after a group of 7 visitors to Dublin for a few days in November and am a bit of a loss as to how to entertain them in the evening. They're not big drinkers (and its a business thing) so I want to limit the whole Dublin Pub experience to one night if possible.

Other than a trip to the theatre, can anyone suggest anything a bit touristy? Most things seem to close early in November - Guinness storehouse etc. Any bright ideas? I want to limit the activities to the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Into football? Saturday 15th November Shelbourne FC play Limerick in Tolka Park, Drumcondra in what could be a league winning match and Shels back into the Premier Division after a 2 year absence after our demotion.

There's also 2 bars in the ground (I know what you said), but incase you get there early or want a pint at half-time or what to celebrate with us after the match (hopefully).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Into football? Saturday 15th November Shelbourne FC play Limerick in Tolka Park, Drumcondra in what could be a league winning match and Shels back into the Premier Division after a 2 year absence after our demotion.

That could be an idea! I'll even dig out my old Shels jersey (which dates from the days when Eamonn Gregg was manager). It might even fit me **crosses fingers**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

take them somewhere they play traditional Irish music. they can sit and cuddle the same pint of guinness all night and watch the band. A visitor to Dublin can't go home without seeing a trad band play.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Or you could even go the slightly cheesey route and head for the Arlington Hotel and get the full on "Irish" experience. They yanks in particular eat that stuff up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Trinity College (Book of Kells etc), St Stephens Green, the different museums and stuff too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

take em on the Ghost Bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

christmas on ice RDS?....or Mosney.

That could be an idea! I'll even dig out my old Shels jersey (which dates from the days when Eamonn Gregg was manager). It might even fit me **crosses fingers**

Showing your age there, 14 odd years ago he managed us.:D I hope the "That could be an idea" remark is being sarcastic.;) Only 3 more home games this season and we need all the support we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bring 'em for a meal in the dog track - You get a bite to eat, and have a bet, which can be good fun.

See if there's any comedy gigs on. You don't need to drink at them, OJ or water will do just fine

If you're going down the Trad music route, pop up to the Long Stone in Smithfield (iirc). Much better than the cheese you'll be getting in Temple Bar.

As said above, the tour bus, and Degsy's suggestion of the ghost tour are great, and could take up the best part of the evening if you throw in a bite to eat after the tour bus and before jumping on the ghost tour.

A wander around some of the museums is always a good way to soak up a few hours - IMMA (Luas to Hueston & walk) is usually worth a wander, as is Collins Barracks (Luas to the front door), and if you've time to spare on Saturday, there's a market on in Meeting House Square in Temple Bar, after which, you can pop into two photographic galleries, before getting a coffee or popping into the Porterhouse for a pint/bite to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you're going down the Trad music route, pop up to the Long Stone in Smithfield (iirc). Much better than the cheese you'll be getting in Temple Bar.

Your mixing up The Cobblestone pub (Smithfield) with The Long Stone pub in Townsend street.

Here's my suggestion if the OP wants do the Irish rebellion route.

ie, Kilmainham goal then head over to Collins Barracks then hit The Cobble Stone for a trad session & a bite to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Ghost tour is a good laugh, and keep your eye open for quiz nights etc

Ghost tour is a good laugh, and keep your eye open for quiz nights etc

There's a quiz on every Saturday night in The Lower Deck, Portebello. Winner gets a round of drinks for the team. Good laugh I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

League of Ireland on a November night ? I presume you want to stay friends with these people ! :-)

If you want touristy, why not go to the Arlington hotel on the quays where they have Irish dancing and live music. I've never been there, but know a few foreigners who went and enjoyed it.

League of Ireland on a November night ? I presume you want to stay friends with these people ! :-)

Better than sitting in a pub with Oirish jersey goons.;)

Advertisement