Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phones with Dect?

• 13-10-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anybody know of any GSM mobile phones that you can use with a landline Dect base station?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drednawt

It's not a stupid question... The GAP standard allows DECT landline mobile phones to work with base stations from different manufacturers. It would take just a little bit of extra circuitry built into the phone.

If no such phones were available I'd guess that the mobile operators would shun them because any phone that doesn't allow them to continually screw their customers would be a major no-no. Remember the recent European Directive on roaming charges.

On a related topic, did anyone try out fring.com. My understanding of it is that it uses the data capability of your phone to route your calls, something like Skype on mobile internet. Anyone can feel to correct me if I'm worng here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

drednawt wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any GSM mobile phones that you can use with a landline Dect base station?
    I'm interested in that. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds like you are talking about unlicensed mobile access or UMA. BT developed something around this in the UK but it never really took off. shame because it is a good product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Fusion

it doesn't actually use DECT, is uses either bluetooth or WiFi but can seemlessly transfer over the GSM when you get out of range. There is also a business version which is quite handy as you can also use BT Openzones to make a call, so if you are in an airport in Paris you can make a call using only the standard "home" charges.

Advertisement