Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whatever else you do tomorrow, dont forget to fill her up

Options
  • 13-10-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Remember its a Tuesday budget and its bound to go up.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

but when do the increases take effect? its not straight away is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I would if only my car wasnt in AC car sales with the front end getting stripped!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

projectgtr wrote: »

Beware of the profiteers who will push up the price immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

projectgtr wrote: »

It should be from midnight tomorrow.

I'd say 7.5 cent a litre extra myself, that's in addition to the 10% I'm thinking will go on road tax across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Heroditas wrote: »
    Beware of the profiteers who will push up the price immediately.

lol

its a bit late for that mate, the wholesale price has dropped over 7 cents since last wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hammertime wrote: »
    lol

its a bit late for that mate, the wholesale price has dropped over 7 cents since last wednesday.

It has? That's bloody fantastic! We should be looking at what .... less than 115.9 a litre soon enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The excise usually goes up at midnight, though I suppose there is nothing to stop Lennihan saying 6 pm or somesuch. Anyway you'll have time during the day I'm sure :)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

It has? That's bloody fantastic! We should be looking at what .... less than 115.9 a litre soon enough?

Seen 116.9 in newbridge, Kildare this evening

at least mate, I'm at 119.9 for the past 3 weeks.

The stations all sat on the price drops in anticpation of the budget hike so that we would be able to not increase prices.

i.e. fuel has dropped 7 cents, budget hike of 7.5 cent, fuel stays the same price.

At least thats the unspoken plan from what I can see

So the distributors will reduce thier price to retailers at the same moment the government hike it?

Mike

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    So the distributors will reduce thier price to retailers at the same moment the government hike it?

Mike

they reduced the price already mike, 2 cents last Wednesday, another 2 on Sat and 3 more today, hence my comment on profiteering earlier, at lot of places are filling every pot, cup and bucket they have full of fuel today to get it cheaper before the budget hike so they don't have to whack the increase on to the consumer.

It remains to be seen what actually happens in practice though !

Ah, I see.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'll bet ya they won't increase excise duty on fuel, no they won't

They'll call it a "carbon tax" instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

at least mate, I'm at 119.9 for the past 3 weeks.

The stations all sat on the price drops in anticipation of the budget hike so that we would be able to not increase prices. <SNIP>

So they bought petrol cheap as chips from their suppliers but then continued to sell it for just as much as when a barrel of crude was at a history-breaking, sky-high ceiling just so they wouldn't give us a big shock with some new little plastic numbers on the roadside price display signs ? ?? ???

- Sorry, don't mean to be cynical, I know ya were hinting at some thoughtful gesture for the consumer in there.........I just can't find it anywhere :p
    Whatever else you do tomorrow, don't forget to fill her up

But afterwards get dressed and tell her you're just going to nip down to the local petrol station and fill up yer tank ahead of the increase in petrol prices ;)

Raiser wrote: »
    So they bought petrol cheap as chips from their suppliers but then continued to sell it for just as much as when a barrel of crude was at a history-breaking, sky-high ceiling just so they wouldn't give us a big shock with some new little plastic numbers on the roadside price display signs ? ?? ???

- Sorry, don't mean to be cynical, I know ya were hinting at some thoughtful gesture for the consumer in there.........I just can't find it anywhere :p

Except I don't sell or buy crude oil, either does any forecourt in this country, we deal in refined product which has a duty of close to 70% on it which is the real reason fuel price is so high.

But I'm not even getting into this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Diesel is 119.9 in Kilcullen this evening, 126.9 all along the N7 - that's the 7 cent reduction in one out of maybe six petrol stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

€1.15.1 in Dundalk yesterday morning (1.19.5 for diesel in the same place)...I almost crashed the car doing a double take. Bear in mind that we suffer artificially high prices because of cross border business....average Dundalk price this evening was about 1.17.

All this plays right into the government's hands...they can tack 5 or 6 c a litre duty on to the price and people won't bat an eyelid...until the wholesale prices go up again a la summer 08 and by then it'll be too late.
    I'm also expecting petrol to get hit a lot harder than diesel...juts a hunch though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Pissing off every motorist in the country is NOT going to get us out of a recession...

HANDS OFF THE PETROL YOU BASTARDS!!!!

245 wrote: »
    Diesel is 119.9 in Kilcullen this evening, 126.9 all along the N7 - that's the 7 cent reduction in one out of maybe six petrol stations

Nope, they should all be 119.9 since about 3 weeks ago when it dropped over 7cent a liter on a thursday evening wholesale

if the budget does nothing on fuel then unl should be 115.9 by sunday and derv should be down about 4 cents too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The excise usually goes up at midnight, though I suppose there is nothing to stop Lennihan saying 6 pm or somesuch. Anyway you'll have time during the day I'm sure :)

Mike
    Not possible even if he wanted to. The Daíl and Seannad sit until almost midnight so that the excise increase meaures are passed in time and the bill is rushed to the park for the presidents signature to give the increases legal effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

115.9 in newcastle west, anything over 121 is now expensive at the current prices over ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Unleaded was 113.9 last night in Dungarvan :). This country makes me cringe, they've just put 16c per litre on to aviation fuel. I want out dammit !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maxol, Richmond Road in Drumcondra 126.9c yesterday. "Robbin' baxtards" I thought as I drove past.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Maxol, Richmond Road in Drumcondra 126.9c yesterday. "Robbin' baxtards" I thought as I drove past.

Its Maxol, what do you expect ?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its Maxol, what do you expect ?

:rolleyes:

Another hint as to what brand you are, its not Maxol and its not Esso :p

MYOB wrote: »
    Another hint as to what brand you are, its not Maxol and its not Esso :p

lol, no my friend, I am a robbing bastard so i could be Maxol

;)

but Esso???? huck spit, I hate them putas

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lol, no my friend, I am a robbing bastard so i could be Maxol

;)

but Esso???? huck spit, I hate them putas

:p

If you let us know where you are I'll ensure to drop in and buy and apple (and not burden you with getting any fuel :p) next time I'm in the area ;)

MYOB wrote: »
    If you let us know where you are I'll ensure to drop in and buy and apple (and not burden you with getting any fuel :p) next time I'm in the area ;)

*hammertime rushes off to increase the prices of apples......

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

A good analysis of what yer likely to get on the Budget today…
    The Minister for Hardship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

I heard the 'carbon tax' will be on coal? Saying that i'm expecting rises across the board on fuel, road tax etc.I wonder will they raise the rates for the new co2 based tax system though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement