Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI rejects British Army version of 1988 shooting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Ooh, lets all join in with McArmalites cheap wise cracks. Who'd have guessed it, the sheep all following each other.

Thought you were better than that Erin :rolleyes:

Sorry couldn't resist. It must be said you do have quite the talent for fiction though! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sorry couldn't resist. It must be said you do have quite the talent for fiction though! :P

I don't have an ounce of respect for McArmalite so I couldn't give a monkey's chuff if he believes me or not tbh, I don't have to justify what I say to him or anyone. I do take exception to the piss taking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't have an ounce of respect for McArmalite so I couldn't give a monkey's chuff if he believes me or not tbh, I don't have to justify what I say to him or anyone. I do take exception to the piss taking though.
    Calm down Fred, that's getting into the realm of attacking the poster. We don't want to go there. There's no point get all worked up about these things. I'm sure you repeated in good faith the stories that were told to you. That doesn't make them true however and it shouldn't cause a riot if someone challenges them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Saw it with my own two eyes at a GAA match in Boston in the summer of 1998.

I'm sure you could still buy one on the web, I'll look around

Well, when you get the link please post it and prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I think it's gas that Fred thinks we're wrong to expect higher standards from the forces of law and order than from a bunch of terrorists.

What part of "Don't shoot innocent civilians and cover it up" are crown forces missing from their instruction manual?

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »
    I think it's gas that Fred thinks we're wrong to expect higher standards from the forces of law and order than from a bunch of terrorists.

What part of "Don't shoot innocent civilians and cover it up" are crown forces missing from their instruction manual?

I don't :confused:

I don't :confused:

So you don't think we should expect higher standards from the forces of law and order. Targetting and murdering civilians is ok. Just once their Paddies and Brazilians.

Perfidious Albion indeed.

So you don't think we should expect higher standards from the forces of law and order. Targetting and murdering civilians is ok. Just once their Paddies and Brazilians.

Perfidious Albion indeed.

I would rather you didn't use the term "Paddies", it implies that it is a word i would use and it is not.

now, your post there is typical and where I find this whole thing amazing. The people on here who are showing this shock/horror and are full of remorse for Aiden Mcanespie's death, in reality are more interested in scoring points off the British than they are in any form of closure for the McAnespie family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would the IRA define themselves as terrorists?

Part of the major problem in the North has been that the British responded to the vacuum of civil policing with the deployment of troops in what was a domestic conflict. It was a very successful tactic throughout the troubles for insurgents to commit utterly illegal, often heinous, acts, but to hold the British legally accountable when they did the same.

Obviously the argument that the army have to be more accountable than the insurgents that they are fighting is correct and just, but I can't see it ever happening.

If the settlement is about sacrifice on both sides, it's a brutally honest fact that a sizable section of the protestant community will not see army, UDR or Loaylist actions as the 'other side' do. Likewise, many in the catholic community will not see the actions of the IRA as the 'other other side' do.

Moving forward is not gainsaying the fact that people were murdered; that the army acted intolerably. The parity of loss is a dead dodo. Nobody will allow 'their' heroes to be recast as murderers, and until this is acknowledged and the tribunal/inquiry trail comes to a dead end, there will never be lasting peace in NI. Sad, but true.

Ah closure.

That's where they feck off and stop hassling other people with their problems. Especially the organisation that killed their son/brother, covered it up and keeps linking his death to the IRA (or was that you only?)

• Advertisement

Ah closure.

That's where they feck off and stop hassling other people with their problems. Especially the organisation that killed their son/brother, covered it up and keeps linking his death to the IRA (or was that you only?)

wtf are you on about?

Ah closure.

See, this is the problem about these threads. It's not a discussion. You just want to bellyache about the Brits with no rationale. If you really want a forum where you can do it without unwanted comment from others, why not set up a hosted forum?

Similarly, there are probably fora right now where unionists want to 'discuss' Enniskillen and Le Mon in perpetuity, and are telling their 'dissenters' to stfu.

stovelid wrote: »
    why not set up a hosted forum?
    That's not a bad idea, but not exactly for the reasons you state. I would suggest a Private Hosted Politics Forum. It would take this type of argument away from the main Politics forum if nothing else.

[Edit] Anybody interested in participating in such a forum please PM me. [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

See, this is the problem about these threads. It's not a discussion. You just want to bellyache about the Brits with no rationale. If you really want a forum where you can do it without unwanted comment from others, why not set up a hosted forum?

Similarly, there are probably fora right now where unionists want to 'discuss' Enniskillen and Le Mon in perpetuity, and are telling their 'dissenters' to stfu.

Oh - So addressing the murder and coverup of a civilian by a mandated army is "bellyaching" now is it? I see. It might not possibly be an actual practical discussion, now would it? I mean - Shame on us for wanting to expose the British forces for murder and deceit. You're just going to have to get used to the fact that this is a public forum, and sometimes - we may have an opinion or two to share of a topic or two. If you don't like us discussing British army atrocities - just close your eyes and pretend it never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madden1

I would rather you didn't use the term "Paddies", it implies that it is a word i would use and it is not.
    now, your post there is typical and where I find this whole thing amazing. The people on here who are showing this shock/horror and are full of remorse for Aiden Mcanespie's death, in reality are more interested in scoring points off the British than they are in any form of closure for the McAnespie family.
    I know you are very neutral Fred :D
    but some others who posters here see (post 2) in this threads by Sand

Move on Dlop, move on.

would just like to dismiss it as if it was an unfortunate accidend and never really happened
    that is amazing looks like it works both ways

dlofnep wrote: »
    You're just going to have to get used to the fact that this is a public forum, and sometimes - we may have an opinion or two to share of a topic or two.

I am used to it, and we all have an opinion or two to share of a topic or two.

The opinions don't necessarily concur, so people are not off-topic just because they don't concur with the OP in a public thread on a public forum.

Sorted.

I am used to it, and we all have an opinion or two to share of a topic or two.

The opinions don't necessarily concur, so people are not off-topic just because they don't concur with the OP in a public thread on a public forum.

Sorted.

I was under the impression that you agreed with the primary point - A British soldier murdered a civilian and then covered it up.

That is opinion. What you added afterwards was just an attempt to take the focus off the murder and attempt to turn it into a discussion about the IRA. That is not opinion. Just a ruse. But it didn't succeed, as the thread is now 10 pages in length and the facts remain the same, this is another chapter of a British soldier murdering a civilian and getting away with it scot-free.

Hagar wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea, but not exactly for the reasons you state. I would suggest a Private Hosted Politics Forum. It would take this type of argument away from the main Politics forum if nothing else.

[Edit] Anybody interested in participating in such a forum please PM me. [/edit]

You have my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

same old story a british soldier murdered a civilian-first of all it is a alleged murder-- but what else would you except from a republic web site?---i am sure if it was a british web site they would have a differant opinion---if bombs had gone off in dublin or cork killing children you would not be nit picking

I was under the impression that you agreed with the primary point - A British soldier murdered a civilian and then covered it up.

That is opinion. What you added afterwards was just an attempt to take the focus off the murder and attempt to turn it into a discussion about the IRA. That is not opinion. Just a ruse. But it didn't succeed, as the thread is now 10 pages in length and the facts remain the same, this is another chapter of a British soldier murdering a civilian and getting away with it scot-free.

Tbh :D

Seriously, dlofnep, if you consider the relatively neutral points (at least the non-reactive ones) I was making re: parity and the GFA as a ruse to cover up Army wrongdoings and primarily discuss the IRA.... /shakes head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Old war stories? Since when was the slaying of a civilian a war?
    Ah, so now it wasn't a war? Here and here you claimed it was.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Ah, so now it wasn't a war? Here and here you claimed it was.

Nice attempt to try and take my posts out of context. Where exactly in either of those posts did I claim that the slaughter of civilians was apart of a war? I categorically stated that any civilian deaths at the hands of the IRA would be on their conscience and that I had an immense amount of sympathy for - Or did you miss that part?

So no - I don't constitute the murder of civilians and then covering it up as part of a "war". I hope that clears it up for you before you start attaching anymore strings.

So djpbarry - Do you think that this soldier should be brought to justice for the murder of a civilian?

this is another chapter of a British soldier murdering a civilian and getting away with it scot-free.
    I categorically stated that any civilian deaths at the hands of the IRA would be on their conscience and that I had an immense amount of sympathy for - Or did you miss that part?

Instructive - and wholly depressing - gradation of civilian deaths.

Hagar wrote: »

good idea, good of you to offer to Mod it as well :D

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

but some others who posters here see (post 2) in this threads by Sand

Move on Dlop, move on.

would just like to dismiss it as if it was an unfortunate accidend and never really happened
    that is amazing looks like it works both ways

Ive noted the case should be investigated, the soldier charged and prosecuted if theres enough evidence to convict. I only noted the possibility of electing him to Stormont as an alternative, but I believe that option is only open for the Provos.

Dlop, you just got owned.

You view any atrocity other than IRA atrocities as being monstrous acts for which the criminals responsible must be brought to justice and public inquiries held.

You view IRA atrocites as being....well you dont even view them as atrocities firstly. You support the Provos who carried them out, and the election of those same Provos to the highest offices in Northern Ireland.

And the hilarious part is your so indoctrinated you cant even note the way you, and all provos, rank victims of the troubles. Victims of the Provos need to suck it up when they see the killers of their familes smiling out on TV, victims of every other group involved in the Troubles need justice! Now!

The underlying logic is that victims of the Provos got what was coming to them, and dont deserve the same justice as others.

Sand wrote: »
    Dlop, you just got owned.

Whoever Dlop is, I'm sure he's not bothered.
    You view any atrocity other than IRA atrocities as being monstrous acts for which the criminals responsible must be brought to justice and public inquiries held.

Incorrect. If any member of the IRA killed a civilian in cold blood, in a manner with which this soldier shot a civilian in cold blood and then lied about it - I assure you, I'd like to see him also brought to justice. Give me one instance where a member of any Republican group shot a civilian in a cold and calculated manner, without cause and who were not members of the British defense forces and I will have no qualms whatsoever condemning them.
    You view IRA atrocites as being....well you dont even view them as atrocities firstly.

I commend their attacks of British military. I condemn any attacks that resulted in civilian death. But well, apparently - you've already decided my opinion for me. How generous of you. Should I not just let you debate with yourself? You can quote yourself back and forth, and tell each persona what they really think.

So Sand - Now that we have that nonsense out of the way. When are you going to stop jumping around the hoop and admit that the British army on numerous occasions has breached basic human rights and slaughtered innocent civilians on the streets of Ireland, and abroad. Because if you haven't gathered by now - That is what this said thread is the topic of discussion of. I can appreciate it hurts for you to see criticism of your beloved British army, but unfortunately - you're going to have to swallow this one and start facing up the realities of their cold reign in Ireland.

So - Any chance of you getting back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Where exactly in either of those posts did I claim that the slaughter of civilians was apart of a war?
    In both those posts (and others) you claimed that the IRA was at war. The IRA slaughtered civilians. Logical extension: you claimed the slaughter of civilians was part of a war.

I now await your inevitable claim that “bombing a pub full of civilians does not constitute slaughter, but an attack on a viable, economic target; civilian casualties are inevitable in any war.”
    So djpbarry - Do you think that this soldier should be brought to justice for the murder of a civilian?
    I've already stated that I believe he should be punished, if he is found guilty, but the GFA may well get in the way of that. In fact, I don't think a single poster on this thread has condoned his actions, yet you still tar everyone who doesn't agree with your every point as apologists for their "beloved" British army.

If there is sufficient evidence to convict the soldier in court it should be done. Then he should be sentenced for the crime. Then he should be pardoned under the terms of the GFA just the same as all the other people convicted of crimes. It is important that justice be done but sending the guy to gaol now won't bring back the victim or any other victim either. Naturally if he is not convicted we must accept his innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Incorrect. If any member of the IRA killed a civilian in cold blood, in a manner with which this soldier shot a civilian in cold blood and then lied about it - I assure you, I'd like to see him also brought to justice.

Youd vote for them more likely I think. Have you ever considered what Gerry Adams was doing in the 70s and 80s? To earn such command over the Provos? In a movement that positively despised and rejected anything other than militant struggle? He wasnt a peace activist, thats for sure. Has he been any more honest than the soldier?

Would you think it despicable if the British Army captured a Provo, and having subdued and taken him prisoner then executed them in cold blood? Or would you think, fair enough, the Brits probably couldnt be arsed with the paperwork which is understandable?
    I condemn any attacks that resulted in civilian death.

But you support the organisation that planned, carried out and celebrated countless deliberate attacks on civillian targets through bombing pubs, shops, resteraunts, commemorations and other public, completely non military targets. Right?
    Any chance of you getting back on topic?

You get to start the topic, others get to discuss it. If you dont like where the discussion is going [ the double standards Provos apply to victims of the troubles] then....too bad to be honest.

Advertisement