Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology in America

• 13-10-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

Does anybody know anything about doing a masters in any area of psychology over in America?

A friend of mine was telling me about a programme where psychology graduates could go to America for 18 months (I think) and work in various different psychological settings to gain experience. I'm not sure if it was a paid programme or not. He didn't know the exact ins and outs of it...any ideas anyone?

I'm hoping to head to America :) And with this new visa thing coming in it'd be great to go and do some work experience or a masters or something so that I'd feel like it was a business and leisure activity! Any ideas, experiences, thought?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

That new visa won't cover you to study in the USA, it's a 1 year working visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Thanks for clarifying that. I presume it's easier to get into America via the study route than the working route though (separate to this new visa)? Thanks for the quick response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Before you even think about visas...have you seen how much it costs to attend university in the states? It is...a LOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

what you could do is a internship in psychology. i'm going for 18 months next week. its paid and we're at different levels, some just out of BAs others with MAs and further hdips and all different levels of volunteer and paid experience. its a residental center for kids with mental and emotional disorders and we'll carry out treatments the unit psychologist advises. we'll each have a class of 3-4 but we won't be helping with education it'll be social development it seems. i can't wait! full training and we can volunteer to help out with research. i don't know if they're still interviewing people or if you'd be interested but i'm so god damn excited i had to post!

Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for! Who organised the internship?

• Advertisement

pm sent

Thanks a million spinandscribble for all your help. I hope everything is going well for you.

Does anybody else have any information about psychology (related) internships in the USA? Thanks a million!

I'm doing the OU psychology course...I think I read somewhere that you were doing it too ethO_ I am awaiting my cog psychology results with baited breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seventhwave

Hi Guys,
    Could I get that information also in regards to internship in psychology in america? It could be another option to look at. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionaec1

pm sent

Any chance I could get details about that internship? I would be really interested in an experience such as this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

lol, i'd likewise stick my neck in and ask for details on that/similar types of programs, would really suit my needs and experiences thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 fionaec1

what you could do is a internship in psychology. i'm going for 18 months next week. its paid and we're at different levels, some just out of BAs others with MAs and further hdips and all different levels of volunteer and paid experience. its a residental center for kids with mental and emotional disorders and we'll carry out treatments the unit psychologist advises. we'll each have a class of 3-4 but we won't be helping with education it'll be social development it seems. i can't wait! full training and we can volunteer to help out with research. i don't know if they're still interviewing people or if you'd be interested but i'm so god damn excited i had to post!

any chance of info on that internship. I am a psychology graduate and I have been looking into a program such as this for some time.any ideas would br gratly appreciated.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Check accreditation. Lots of diploma mills in America.

its not a diploma course, its work experience. if anyones wants info, you can pm.

Advertisement