Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using FM09 legally without a CD?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've got a new Dell mini laptop and it hasnt got a CD drive. I'd love to be able to play FM09 on it (when I upgrade the RAM).

What are the chances that developers will start to release games in a way that is legal without a CD? Maybe SDHC card or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

You can download it from Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

is it legal to use a mini image with something like daemon tools if you own a copy? or is that still in breach of them ridiculous digital laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

AFAIK, that's in breach of those digital laws. unless you contact Sports Interactive and ask can you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Was listening to one of the SI podcasts and they said that FM09 would not require a CD in the drive to be played as it will use a different (as yet unannounced) method of copyright protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I hope it isn't the old, look up a sheet full of old soccer scores :)

• Advertisement

Showing your age now...that has to be mid-90's or earlier :p

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Daemonic wrote: »
    Was listening to one of the SI podcasts and they said that FM09 would not require a CD in the drive to be played as it will use a different (as yet unannounced) method of copyright protection.

probably just registry entry or else need to be online to play...(like spore which sux!)

weird that its not gonna require disk to play! but very handy all the same i guess!

Here's the official SI reply on authentication. Full post is here .
    I am therefore happy to be able to announce today that, for the first time in the Football Manager series since we started making the game, you will not require the disc to be in the drive each time you start the game if you are playing on the PC! Instead, you will need to authenticate your game.

This can be done in 3 different ways.

The first is via STEAM, as mentioned above. By authenticating through STEAM, you will automatically receive patches as soon as they become available. The second is a simple online transaction, which will take less than 30 seconds. The third, for people who are not online, is via telephone registration, with local call numbers in each country where we release the game, and this will take about 5 minutes to complete from our experience in testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its great that they've dealt with the problem. How many machines will I be allowed to the run the game on?

Edit.. Question Answered!
    Despite the license agreement that comes with the game stating that you can only install on one machine, we are well aware that many people like to play the game on personal laptops, as well as desktops, and our licenses for Football Manager 2009 will work in a very similar way to ITunes.

This means that you will get 5 licenses for personal use, so you can play the game on up to 5 computers as long as you own them, and the owner of the game is the person playing on said machines. If you uninstall the game on one of the PC's you have the game installed on, you get that "seat" back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was just thinking.
    Does this mean that we're going to have to log into steam every time we want to play?
    Ala CS etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

this is an god send. my laptop dvd drive won't work and i was considering spendning the 300 € I was qouted to fix it. Now I won't have too! Sweet.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was just thinking.
    Does this mean that we're going to have to log into steam every time we want to play?
    Ala CS etc?
    SI have said you can play the game with Steam in offline mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

statss wrote: »
    this is an god send. my laptop dvd drive won't work and i was considering spendning the 300 € I was qouted to fix it. Now I won't have too! Sweet.
    lol @ 300 euro for a dvd drive

Buy one on ebay.

Advertisement