Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a Tv to Dunnes with no receipt?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,
    my father got an LG 42inch tv from Dunnes a few months back and it has developed loads of blue lines on it, rendering it unwatchable. Unfortunatly, he has lost the receipt. Phoned Dunnes Head Office, who said there is no record of it on the clubcard as the clubcard doesn't recognise items which are on offer. Sounds a bit odd to me, I've studied commerce and I reckon that clubcards record EVRY item bought so as to target certain products at certain customers.

Is there anything he can do via Dunnes?
    Or, through LG themselves without a receipt?

Help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

How did he pay for it? If he paid for it with laser or credit card, they should accept a bank statement as proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in Dunnes. No refund without a receipt (exchange is possible though) and that's strictly adhered to. Except it's faulty, so you/he should be able to argue your way into a refund. Or replacement. There are no credit notes btw, in some cases you might get a refund onto a gift card instead of cash/credit card etc refund. No I think it would only be through Dunnes and not LG.

Did he pay by debit/credit card? The clubcard is extremely primitive, I don't think it has significantly changed since it was introduced. It's just swiped through the till and the till will say 'Card approved' and nothing else, points will print on the receipt but points can't be added on afterward or anything like that. The clubcard recognises how much you spend and little else, I think Head Office are right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

Unfortunatly, he paid by cash. Tried calling Dunnes but they said they wouldn't do anything without a receipt, which I understand perfectly. Its really frustrating though! Would accept an exchange/gift voucher/repair on the spot if offered, but hasn't been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He could try contacting the manufacturer directly, they might be able to arrange a repair. They may also look for a receipt though, as otherwise, they wouldn't know that he actually bought the TV (could have stolen it!).

I vaguely recall learning something in school years back (many many years!) to say that if it's faulty then you don't need proof as the manafacturer can still fix it? ring consumer rights people just to confirm, you might be lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You/he really need to go to the Dunnes in question, and ask to talk to a manager. You are entitled to something if it's faulty, it's only if you changed your mind that the no receipt- too bad thing comes into play. Pity about paying in cash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The manufacture... if the TV is not too old, maybe. By too old, I mean if the one he got was the last one in the store, it may have been sitting there for a few months. If the TV was made over X amount of months, they may not repair it. On the other hand, what have you to loose by asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I vaguely recall learning something in school years back (many many years!) to say that if it's faulty then you don't need proof as the manafacturer can still fix it? ring consumer rights people just to confirm, you might be lucky?

i'm afraid you heard wrong

I did say vaguely many years ago so there was always gonna be a chance I was completely wrong!

sorreee

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jesterhead wrote: »
    Hi all,
    my father got an LG 42inch tv from Dunnes a few months back and it has developed loads of blue lines on it, rendering it unwatchable. Unfortunatly, he has lost the receipt. Phoned Dunnes Head Office, who said there is no record of it on the clubcard as the clubcard doesn't recognise items which are on offer. Sounds a bit odd to me, I've studied commerce and I reckon that clubcards record EVRY item bought so as to target certain products at certain customers.

Is there anything he can do via Dunnes?
    Or, through LG themselves without a receipt?

Help appreciated!

Was the TV sold anywhere else, check the exact model number? If only Dunnes sold it you should be able to get them to send it for repair with some polite talking to the manager of the store you bought it in as there was no where else to buy it. I overheard a Argos person saying this to someone who'd lost their reciept.

If not contact LG, they will arrange a return for you. But you'll more then likely have to pay for collection. They should be able to tell how old it is from the serial number and a TV should last a bit more then a few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement