Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash Converters

Options
  • 13-10-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Anyone know anything about cash converters on maccurtain street? I'm thinking of selling my laptop. Do they do that? Anyone used them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've never used them but i've heard they have a habit of offering **** all for something and then putting a hefty price tag on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Pc services off washington street said it would be worth about €100 to them for parts. Mitent be a bad offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Me thinks an add in free ads or adverts.ie (top right hand corner of this screen... over a bit, there it is :D) would be your best bet. Cash Converters is GREAT but its is all about fast cash rather than a considered evaluation of the worth of your goods... (don't want to get sued for slander now do I)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

they sold me a broken computer...:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

From what I've heard they are to be avoided at all cost.
    Friend bought a computer in there and it had no sound and was full of viruses and said when he went back to complain they made out he didn't know what he was talking about and it was supposed to be like that!!

Thanx for all the replys. Iv never sold anything so i dont know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What's wrong with it? Might be able to sort it for you if you have an idea of the problem, PM me if you would like me to take a quick look at it for you.

MC

PS Agree with what was said about CC being ripoff merchants, avoid, Some of the staff are muppets.

What's wrong with it? Might be able to sort it for you if you have an idea of the problem, PM me if you would like me to take a quick look at it for you.

MC

PS Agree with what was said about CC being ripoff merchants, avoid, Some of the staff are muppets.

It just was never a great laptop. Its slow and stuff. I got more memory in it last year and that helped a bit. It's not too bad though. I Mite end up keeping it with the whole recession situation!

Offer still open to have a look at it for you. Do repairs in my spare time.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

they sold me a broken computer...:mad::mad::mad:
    In fairness, what were you expecting. Not the kind of place that has great quality control or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

By the way, has anyone noticed that they have changed their name from Cash Converters to Cash Connectors? They only needed to change 3 letters on their sign too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cork Local

there loads of online options to sell for your price, the price you want as opposed to what they'll give you.

try:
    www.gumtree.ie
    www.buyandsell.ie
    www.citylocal.ie/cities/Cork/freeadvert_0.html
    www.adverts.ie

Good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

very very rough rule of thumb

they pay you 1/3 of what a new one costs
    they sell it for 2/3

they make as much as you do
    also remember computer gear depreciates by roughly 1% a week

post make and model here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853497

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've used 'em for bits and pieces (old console games and the like) but wouldn't use them to either buy computer parts (no guarantee the part will work, and you'll usually only get shop credit rather than a full refund) or sell computers (they pay far too little to make it worth your while).

That being said, the above is just a general rule of second hand shops, not specific to Cash Converters/Connectors/whatever.

For computers in particular, you'd probably be better off putting some time in with a friend who knows their way around these things to get it running as well as possible and then deciding whether to sell it or not. You'll get a better price selling direct via personal ad/adverts.ie/whatever than via a pawnshop though.

The connectors change was made years ago, probably gets them out of paying a sub to cash convertors.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I'm taking a load of junk in there next week, well to me its junk, stuff I know I wouldn't get anything for if i sold it privately,

A load of movies on VHS, a load of ex rental dvds from the local video shop, and bunch of books.

All kinda crappy movies i know i wont watch again. and they have no resale value privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Twinksno1flan

They are people without integrity and by using them for either buying or selling you are endangering you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

lol i was in there today, they gave me some of my dvds to take home, they weren't up to there standards LMAO, for my other 8 dvds they did take..i got €1 a pop, lol considering by the time they were seeing them, they were ex rentals, i had bought, so there like.....100th hand LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

They're actually pretty ok for power tools, got a Dewalt hammer drill there for E110 (haggled from E150), and the thing's worth about E400 new. as for computers though, id rather try and build my own from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Out of interest, what spec's are the laptop in question?

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what spec's are the laptop in question?

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v2030
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Inter Celeron processor 1.50GHz
    512 MB RAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

phi3 wrote: »
    Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v2030
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Inter Celeron processor 1.50GHz
    512 MB RAM
    I reckon theyd give you about 150 and sell for 400+, really newspaper classifieds and adverts.ie and others in that mould would be your best bet...

Advertisement