Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I'm not going to go to two sets, just whatever I need to. The problem is that I don't know which ones, and we were all told specifically not to turn up at more than one of each lab/tutorial. Attendance sheets are taken at nearly all of them. Will they know if I'm at the "wrong" ones, or does it matter if I'm following my old timetable? - (which was working fine until they dropped a new one on me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm not going to go to two sets, just whatever I need to. The problem is that I don't know which ones, and we were all told specifically not to turn up at more than one of each lab/tutorial. Attendance sheets are taken at nearly all of them. Will they know if I'm at the "wrong" ones, or does it matter if I'm following my old timetable? - (which was working fine until they dropped a new one on me)

Go to the original ones and ignore the ones on the timetable. If there is a problem with you doing that I'm sure you'll hear about it. SAA generate class lists and assign people to tutorials but in reality many many people change around or those lists are not used at all for various reasons.

Thanks, unless you're wrong....

I'll ask the lecturer who set me up with the old timetable, apparently I picked the right slots for her labs, not the overpopulated ones. Trying to stay on my easy schedule here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm an old hand at UL's antics :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Was this really necessary?

Look, nobody is really that strict with timetables. The reason they have a sign in sheet is so you have marks for attendance, not so they can check if you're at a different lab than what's timetables. They say to go to your assigned one for both numbers and so people aren't jumping around with labs. It's also for safety.
    Just talk to all your lecturers concerning labs and tutorials. They're changable with a genuine reason. It should be mentioned though, just because you're on later, doesn't mean you're doing more work than others in your class. You all have the same hours unless someone picks up an extra module. Also, college is timetabled from nine til six, so the lecturer has a right to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

sup_dude wrote: »
    Was this really necessary?

Look, nobody is really that strict with timetables. The reason they have a sign in sheet is so you have marks for attendance, not so they can check if you're at a different lab than what's timetables. They say to go to your assigned one for both numbers and so people aren't jumping around with labs. It's also for safety.
    Just talk to all your lecturers concerning labs and tutorials. They're changable with a genuine reason. It should be mentioned though, just because you're on later, doesn't mean you're doing more work than others in your class. You all have the same hours unless someone picks up an extra module. Also, college is timetabled from nine til six, so the lecturer has a right to say no.

I'd add that if you feel that going to college until 5/6 every day is too much for you, you might want to have a think about your situation. Being in college until that time every day is by no means uncommon; It is also the minimum expectation for pretty much every full-time job you'll apply for in the future.

Alright, before things escalate, I didn't mean anything by "unless you're wrong." It's just that you've probably had a different set up, been on a different course, etc. Nothing's been nailed down yet, and I only asked for a bit of info.
    I'd add that if you feel that going to college until 5/6 every day is too much for you, you might want to have a think about your situation. Being in college until that time every day is by no means uncommon; It is also the minimum expectation for pretty much every full-time job you'll apply for in the future.

I knew I would get one of these replies. I have no illusions about any future career I might have, but I'm going through some health problems at the moment,and I'd prefer not to be under any strain that isn't necessary.

I think it's time to end the conversation now. There's nothing I can really do until tomorrow,and all of this is a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Anybody have any clue when the County Council grant comes through? Waiting for the e-mail, hoping it is soon! ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aragneer wrote: »
    Anybody have any clue when the County Council grant comes through? Waiting for the e-mail, hoping it is soon! ^^

Just had a look at my account there. I got my first installment from Cork CoCo on the 3rd of October last year.

Oh awesome, did you get a confirmation e-mail/letter?

Sometimes I get a confirmation letter and I didn't get one yet this year... I know Mayo can be quite late but I worry!

Also, on your si.ul.ie, if you view your financial statement does it say you have a balance and outstanding fees of 1,375 ?

I am trying to find out if anyone else has this that has the grant. Thanks so much for the help, sorry for the heap of questions :P I don't want to have to defer my 4th year if I don't get the grant :'(

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've the outstanding balance too. I wouldn't worry about that though, think we've got 60 days from the start of term (so pretty much mid-November) for it to be sorted, and even if the grant isn't through by then, the worst that'll happen is you can't get your results at Christmas I think.

I don't get confirmation letters because mine has "non-reviewable" status. So basically I get a letter in July asking if my situation has changed, and if it has they'll review it, otherwise it's automatic. Usually I get a letter at the start of term that I have to get stamped, but that hasn't come this year.

I'd say just hold tough until mid/late-October. If you haven't heard either way by then, then I'd start following up with the CoCo.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've the outstanding balance too. I wouldn't worry about that though, think we've got 60 days from the start of term (so pretty much mid-November) for it to be sorted, and even if the grant isn't through by then, the worst that'll happen is you can't get your results at Christmas I think.

I don't get confirmation letters because mine has "non-reviewable" status. So basically I get a letter in July asking if my situation has changed, and if it has they'll review it, otherwise it's automatic. Usually I get a letter at the start of term that I have to get stamped, but that hasn't come this year.

I'd say just hold tough until mid/late-October. If you haven't heard either way by then, then I'd start following up with the CoCo.

I know ul also does payment schemes if we don't get the grant too so I shall wait till mid/late October and maybe even call them this week to ask how it is going basically! :p

Thanks very much for that, it helped my panicking there for a while!

:)

Also thought I'd say, I also often get the letter that I need to get stamped by the uni but I didn't get that this year so maybe they just cancelled them. I will call tomorrow about that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Well, that timetable says I'm in until at least 5 every day, and I'm already signed up specifically for other tutorials and tests next week. I was told to follow another completely different timetable in the beginning, (which seemed a lot more reasonable) and that's the real problem. If my lecturers are all fine with what I WAS doing, and they probably would be, there's still the matter of my official timetable and attendance in those classes.

Staying in until that late every day is going to destroy me. My health is ruined already, and all I've done is work. Everyone else seems to have their share of early classes so far, going home at 1PM and the like, so I don't know how I ended up with this thing. I'd put up a "Bad luck Brian" pic, but I don't have the posts. I just need to get things changed officially!

Make sure you check the weeks those classes are timetabled. I finish at 5/6 on Mon and Tues. Wed, I finish at 1 which is nice in the middle of the week. Thurs and Fri I start at 9 and finish at 4. Tuesday looked horrible to me initially but I realised that I don't actually have full Tuesday every week, just for the even weeks, 4/6/8/10/12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

I'll ask the lecturer who set me up with the old timetable, apparently I picked the right slots for her labs, not the overpopulated ones. Trying to stay on my easy schedule here!

I've never heard more whining about a few college hours.

Jaysus the ones in the library are terrible. In here for the FYP tour. No idea what they're talking about because the one talking is super quiet and flying along at a million miles an hour, and when you try and figure it out with other people, she gets all grumpy and shouts at you. I'm just sitting here thinking "oh now you shout because the only thing I've heard so far is 'if you don't want to be here, get out'". No idea what she's talking about otherwise and apparently, it's important...

Edit: and all the DIE tickets are gone. I should have stayed in bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

What's the story with the gym? Is it ever not wedged in the weights area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So, who was in Dolans last night? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Midkemia wrote: »

I was there today at around 3 and it was practically empty. But then again its Friday, and every other time I'm in there the weights are packed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does anyone find the steps on the staircase to the right and left inside the main entrance of the main building really narrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Midkemia wrote: »

Usually calms down a bit after the first 4-5 weeks, best to go between 9am and 4pm.

Does UL have any sort of air conditioning in their buildings? Always so warm :(

Whatever about using my butter without asking, that I don't mind. It's a fairly big tub so a sandwich or two wouldn't make a big difference and whatever about leaving it out on the table instead of putting it back in the fridge but to whichever one of my housemates who used it, did you really have to make a big crater in the middle of it?! I mean, I know you don't know me (which actually makes you using my butter even weirder) but I have a slight touch of OCD and it's actually quite upsetting and stressful and I will most likely have to dump that and get a new one...

I'm going to assume it's whoever is putting their food in my cupboard too, despite having an entire spare cupboard in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Whatever about using my butter without asking, that I don't mind. It's a fairly big tub so a sandwich or two wouldn't make a big difference and whatever about leaving it out on the table instead of putting it back in the fridge but to whichever one of my housemates who used it, did you really have to make a big crater in the middle of it?! I mean, I know you don't know me (which actually makes you using my butter even weirder) but I have a slight touch of OCD and it's actually quite upsetting and stressful and I will most likely have to dump that and get a new one...

I'm going to assume it's whoever is putting their food in my cupboard too, despite having an entire spare cupboard in the kitchen.

That is absolutely hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's a library not a cafe, the feck is wrong with people. Just because you whisper doesn't make it less annoying. If ye want to have a chat, feck off to somewhere else. Between that and hearing other peoples music through their headphones. Do people have any manners? Argh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

It's a library not a cafe, the feck is wrong with people. Just because you whisper doesn't make it less annoying. If ye want to have a chat, feck off to somewhere else. Between that and hearing other peoples music through their headphones. Do people have any manners? Argh!

Can't understand these people, I get super stressed out if I think my music is audible to others in the library.

Their parents didn't hit them hard enough I reckon.

Subutai wrote: »
    Can't understand these people, I get super stressed out if I think my music is audible to others in the library.

Their parents didn't hit them hard enough I reckon.

I'm the kinda person who'll put on music and then take out the headphones and hold them away to see if anyone else can hear the noise. I get a few strange looks, but its better than having half the library hearing my music

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Is anyone else not able to log into the coop noticeboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Is anyone else not able to log into the coop noticeboard?
    Thought it was just me, started to get a little worried! Still the same now though

EDIT: They appear to be sending out emails now instead if you're checking for interviews. Presume they'll do it til it's up again

iLaura wrote: »
    I'm the kinda person who'll put on music and then take out the headphones and hold them away to see if anyone else can hear the noise. I get a few strange looks, but its better than having half the library hearing my music

:pac::pac: I do that all the time!! Every time I even change the volume I'll take them out to check that it's not too loud. The library seems to have gotten worse for people talking or else just every time I go up there's someone nearby nattering for a half an hour.

Suppose it's my own fault, I'm too much of a coward to tell them to shut up so I tend to give them annoy looks, not that they notice. What really annoyed me was seeing the security guards walk past these people and say nothing to them. In all the four years I've been here I don't think I've ever seen security tell people off. But seriously, it's a library you're not meant to talk. That fact that they have to put 'zones' around the library just goes to show how ignorant some people are.

• Advertisement

:pac::pac: I do that all the time!! Every time I even change the volume I'll take them out to check that it's not too loud. The library seems to have gotten worse for people talking or else just every time I go up there's someone nearby nattering for a half an hour.

Suppose it's my own fault, I'm too much of a coward to tell them to shut up so I tend to give them annoy looks, not that they notice. What really annoyed me was seeing the security guards walk past these people and say nothing to them. In all the four years I've been here I don't think I've ever seen security tell people off. But seriously, it's a library you're not meant to talk. That fact that they have to put 'zones' around the library just goes to show how ignorant some people are.

My boyfriend used to work in the library last year putting books on shelves a couple hours a week. He loved telling people to shut up or get out. And then he reminded a 'student' or two that its a UL library and only registered students of the university are allowed in. Gob****es had their Castletroy homework journals out on the desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I see that the open days are the 16th and 17th of october so I can count them days as days off i presume?

I see that the open days are the 16th and 17th of october so I can count them days as days off i presume?

Yup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I think on Thursday, class resumes as normal from 3pm onward because I'm scheduled to give a presentation that day and the lecturer is definitely holding the lecture.

Everything cancelled till 3, depends on the lecturer after that.

Most will cancel, but the odd evil one (like one of mine :mad:) continue to run lectures etc after 3.

I think on Thursday, class resumes as normal from 3pm onward because I'm scheduled to give a presentation that day and the lecturer is definitely holding the lecture.
    Some lecturers like to watch the world burn...

Rumour has it our FYP presentations are going to be slotted into the Open Days.

Bastards. :mad: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Id imagine so. We were told we would have no lectures or tutorials them days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rumour has it our FYP presentations are going to be slotted into the Open Days.

Bastards. :mad: :P

That's always the way it is. FYP presentations are bull**** anyway. I remember the people in mine weren't impressed with my presentation, yet the project got an A1A1 and won the IBM Open Source competition on demo day! :D

Got my co-op sorted today :D...

..in mallow. What the feck is there to do in mallow?! :pac:

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Got my co-op sorted today :D...

..in mallow. What the feck is there to do in mallow?! :pac:

Mallow has some excellent eateries in fairness....

Mallow has some excellent eateries in fairness....
    Would those eateries be in the marshes of mallow?

Ya know, marshmallow? Geddit? No? Okays...

I'm sure they supply good quantity of mallow. You just to go to marsh to get the full package of marshmallow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I'm from Mallow!!! :D
    Except I'm in Seville now..
    Coop...
    Shame :P
    Where are you working?? :P

So many unimportant emails that just clog up my inbox and drive me crazy on a regular basis!!

Also question: How do tutors decide who to give tutorial participation 10% mark to if the class is big and they don't know who each individual is? Do they just look at attendance (though that is usually done when the 10% goes for attendance rather than active participation).

We have one tutorial for another module that has no 10% this years but I go anyway because the tutor keeps her own attendance list so I feel that when it comes to marking essays tutorial attendance may be taken in to account.

I'm from Mallow!!! :D
    Except I'm in Seville now..
    Coop...
    Shame :P
    Where are you working?? :P

Kostal :P

Tell me more about its vibrant nightlife I hear so much of...:P

Can anyone tell me what's the story with taking people's clothes out of the dryers? There's a massive pile of clothes now in Kilmurry Laundrette and my (still damp) clothes were thrown on top of it, so some of them ended up on the floor and I don't even know if I have them all with me! I know my dryer was opened before it was finished too, because I had it timed. Seriously lads, can ye not wait five f***ing minutes til it's done and collected?! Could ye not feel that they were still damp? :mad:

Oops :o

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Oops :o

Are you guilty of this or was that you who took out mine? Either way, whoever it was put me in an awful bad mood :P

• Advertisement

Are you guilty of this or was that you who took out mine? Either way, whoever it was put me in an awful bad mood :P

Maybe.

I want to play a game

:pac:

Advertisement