Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Why do receptions close whenever it pleases them to do so.. I have accommodation fees due today and I'm getting the train at 2:45 and they don't reopen till 2... I have to get the bus as well so what can I do? Can I pay it on Monday as I won't have the time to do it today?

These accommodation fees aren't for on campus, I hope, right??

I got the invoice for Plassey but I think the due date is 1st of December (well the closing date).

Sorry if I'm being a nitwit, just confused..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Aragneer wrote: »
    These accommodation fees aren't for on campus, I hope, right??

I got the invoice for Plassey but I think the due date is 1st of December (well the closing date).

Sorry if I'm being a nitwit, just confused..

Yeah their for on campus. I only paid 980 in September and I was told that I can pay the other 980 on 31st of October which is today. Next payment is due in December unfortunately which will make a hole in my wallet seeing that my birthday is the following week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

dral6.jpg

Anybody know they are doing at the Flagpoles? Looks like a new road or a path?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Anybody know they are doing at the Flagpoles? Looks like a new road or a path?

New path, I think we got an email about it

This was the email:
    Pedestrian path closure

As part of the “Limerick Smarter Travel Programme” construction work will commence from 10.00am tomorrow (Wednesday 29th October 2014) on the pedestrian path which runs behind the Scully wall at the Main entrance (Flag mast entrance), see map below.

This work will involve the closure of the pedestrian path (running behind the Scully wall) up to the Pedestrian crossing, including the pedestrian crossing and the closure of the existing Bus Stop opposite the flag masts. Pedestrians will be required to cross the main campus road at the traffic lights at the main entrance. The bus stop on the main avenue near the roundabout will still be in operation as normal.

We thank you for your co-operation

Building and Estates Department
    www.ul.ie/buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

What about the fountains at Kemmy, anyone know what's going on there?

ScummyMan wrote: »
    What about the fountains at Kemmy, anyone know what's going on there?

Looks like a footpath alongside the road, maybe a cyclist lane? It's either one of those as they've completely revamped the footpaths from the Kemmy bus stop up to the fountains beside KBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Is coop placement information sent out randomly or is there a set time? I asked for info from the coop office a few weeks ago and they said it could be awhile but I'm starting to wonder if I should ask again.

Sorry for cluelessness :o:D

Does UL give me free money for my printing? I have E22 in my account and there's no record of that transaction or any transaction from my bank account. I've used it once to top up a tenner at the beginning of the semester but that was it..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Does UL give me free money for my printing? I have E22 in my account and there's no record of that transaction or any transaction from my bank account. I've used it once to top up a tenner at the beginning of the semester but that was it..?

Before you could pass on your printing credit to others. It was stopped as people's credit was stolen when they left their logged on PC unattended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Are they getting rid of the fountain/pond down at Schuman and Kemmy? I liked that fountain :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I apologise in advance for my sneezing to those on the second floor of the library above the postgrad room. I haven't stopped all day.

On another note, I forgot to bring my goddamn laptop charger with me -.-

iLaura wrote: »
    I apologise in advance for my sneezing to those on the second floor of the library above the postgrad room. I haven't stopped all day.

On another note, I forgot to bring my goddamn laptop charger with me -.-

What type of laptop have you got? I'm on the second floor too and my laptop is fully charged and will stay charged for hours if you have the same type

sup_dude wrote: »
    What type of laptop have you got? I'm on the second floor too and my laptop is fully charged and will stay charged for hours if you have the same type

Mine's an Acer, surely I wouldnt be so lucky that yours is too :-P

Mine's an Acer, surely I wouldnt be so lucky that yours is too :-P

Ah darn, mine isn't! :(

Ah darn, mine isn't! :(

I got some exam questions written down before it died so its not too bad.

Thanks anyways :D

That's not too bad, at least!

Ugh my supervisor is useless!! 10 page proposal due last week, and the ethics form due in two days and I haven't had any help with either. Spent the last few hours waiting on a reply as to whether I can do the tests I plan on doing and still haven't had a reply. The only email I got sent today was asking whether a piece of equipment is in UL, which was in responce to an email I sent asking her if the equipment was in UL... Also asked her whether I need to fill out the small ethics form, or the full one, no reply. Also need to know what a profile is, and what it is I need to include in it... no reply to that either! I wouldn't mind, everyone else has weekly meetings with their supervisor. I get 10 mins if I run around trying to find her. She also hasn't a clue about what she's meant to be doing, and kept trying to get me to talk to various people that I'm not allowed to talk to. :rolleyes: I've already missed the proposal deadline because I can't do a literature review or a full materials and methods until she gets back to me and now I'll probably miss the ethics deadline. This is going to be a long year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Are they getting rid of the fountain/pond down at Schuman and Kemmy? I liked that fountain :p

The fountains are staying. They are just building a cycle lane along one side as part of the Smarter Travel

• Advertisement

Is an over due 3 hour loan book going to keep charging me 1 euro every hour its overdue? :eek:

I don't get the logic behind having a book that is only available to rent out for 3hrs...? :confused:

I don't get the logic behind having a book that is only available to rent out for 3hrs...? :confused:

They're apparently the 'high demand' books, or some of the more valuable ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

They're apparently the 'high demand' books, or some of the more valuable ones

Yeah there are loads of these, some books cost hundreds of euros to buy, I had a book today that had 1 hour loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Is an over due 3 hour loan book going to keep charging me 1 euro every hour its overdue? :eek:

Yeah, it will! It happened to me last semester :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

If you take these sort of books out at the end of the day the loan carries over to the next morning if thats any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Is it possible to reschedule an end of semester exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

At this point no. The deadline to apply for it was 3pm on Thursday past.

Is it possible to reschedule an end of semester exam?

For everybody else? Because of friends wedding? No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

To be honest I think it's good because then you don't have people hoarding books for weeks when you need it to get an essay done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The idea behind a 3 hour loan is that you can make notes from it or photocopy the bits you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

While I was queuing to leave the library today, I noticed how weirdly awful a lot of people are at using the entry/exit card readers. People do the strangest stuff, like insisting on swiping the card from side to side (instead of just holding it above the reader) while the machine says ''please wait'' and then get confused when it doesn't register their card. Oh and also, if you don't have your card out, don't block the gate. And stop congregating in big groups at the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor. And stay out of my seat.

• Company Representative Posts: 5 Verified rep ULlibrary

We know we get 'some' things right e.g postgrad reading room, zoning, swipe access and other improvements put in place in recent years but without your feedback we won't know exactly what things are most important to you. For example would you prioritise ebooks over more copies of printed books, is earlier opening more useful than later? Have your say about the UL Library services in our satisfaction survey running until Nov. 21st

NOT ALLOWED ENTER URL HERE SO PLEASE VISIT UL LIBRARY SITE TO GET THE SURVEY LINK

We have prizes for completing the survey!

ULlibrary wrote: »
    We know we get 'some' things right e.g postgrad reading room, zoning, swipe access and other improvements put in place in recent years but without your feedback we won't know exactly what things are most important to you. For example would you prioritise ebooks over more copies of printed books, is earlier opening more useful than later? Have your say about the UL Library services in our satisfaction survey running until Nov. 21st

NOT ALLOWED ENTER URL HERE SO PLEASE VISIT UL LIBRARY SITE TO GET THE SURVEY LINK

Opening at 7:30am would be nice :)

ULlibrary wrote: »

Is it possible to send out reminder emails about books being due the day before they're due or the day they are due rather than the day after?

Is it possible to send out reminder emails about books being due the day before they're due or the day they are due rather than the day after?

I have a book out for over a year. Got no warning of the book overdue so hoping that will stand to me.

What's the chances of you letting my fine from a year ago slide? I need some books but don't have 20 euro :)

YFlyer wrote: »
    I have a book out for over a year. Got no warning of the book overdue so hoping that will stand to me.

You had a book out for a year? And you had no idea it was late?
    Honestly there's no excuse really, libraries are simple to understand.

You had a book out for a year? And you had no idea it was late?
    Honestly there's no excuse really, libraries are simple to understand.

Realised that I had the book recently.

A year or a year and a day will not make a difference.

What's the chances of you letting my fine from a year ago slide? I need some books but don't have 20 euro :)

You had a fine for a year? And you haven't paid it?
    Honestly, there's no excuse really. Libraries are simple to understand.

Shhh :p

• Advertisement

Can't imagine what the fine would be for not returning a book for a year :P

Especially a short loan book :eek:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Especially a short loan book :eek:
    I hear Ulster Bank are being kind with their mortgages, you may wanna go in and see about one for that book loan...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Speaking of Ulster Bank, does the bank on campus do foreign exchange?

Speaking of Ulster Bank, does the bank on campus do foreign exchange?

Yes, but it'll fairly limited as to what you can get iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

They'd have sterling though?

House inspection tomorrow, spent all day cleaning my room, the two bathrooms, sweeping all the floors and scrubbing the cooker to get all the black stuff off it. The kitchen/sitting room is still a mess and I'm not going to be there for the evening. I've an awful feeling that that's the way it's going to stay...

House inspection tomorrow, spent all day cleaning my room, the two bathrooms, sweeping all the floors and scrubbing the cooker to get all the black stuff off it. The kitchen/sitting room is still a mess and I'm not going to be there for the evening. I've an awful feeling that that's the way it's going to stay...

They don't care about mess do they as long as nothing's broken? Our place is a tip but nothings broken :P it's organized mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

They don't care about mess do they as long as nothing's broken? Our place is a tip but nothings broken :P it's organized mess.

They care.

Like, clutter is fine, but dirty dishes, dirty worktops, dirty cooker, general rubbish in places, they'll bitch about that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

A tip, if you want to be a bit of a shhneak...you can pay €1 off your fine at the desk and voila you can take out books again as long as its under the 20!. I've done it once or twice ;)

Advertisement