Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Am i able to bring a jacket with me? I've a 25 min walk and its cold enough with a jacket on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Am i able to bring a jacket with me? I've a 25 min walk and its cold enough with a jacket on..

From what I've seen and heard, most of the exam centres have somewhere to leave your coat or jacket outside. Just means that if it's robbed it's not their problem. I think it's worth the risk in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What if I get below 2.0 in my Christmas exams?

Then you are wasting your time at college..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Bit harsh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

If I'm struggling it quite hard, would I be wasting my time in college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ok, I was attempting to let the coat thing go, but now I can't even wear a cardigan in to the exam hall? What the hell is that about? I left my coat with my bag in the boot of the car but was wearing this cardigan. Got insanely warm and I was told your one would have to take it off me so I put it back on :mad: I get that they don't want coats on the floor for health and safety reasons, but this cardigan was bunched on my chair :mad: A tall, bulky lad on a seat would have taken up more space than me and my cardigan there. Christ, these people are intolerable.

I'm invigilating in EG0010. Personally it doesn't matter to me if somebody takes off their jumper or cardigan during the exam. Its the old biddies that get into a fluster when they see any clothes items that are not worn.

If I'm struggling it quite hard, would I be wasting my time in college?

There are legitimate cases where people find it really difficult and are struggling, but the harsh reality is, is that most people do nothing in relatively alright courses and are upset when they have low grades.

I would be open to the idea of the college following the American system of having a much higher probation grade average, around 2.6 is common.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm invigilating in EG0010. Personally it doesn't matter to me if somebody takes off their jumper or cardigan during the exam. Its the old biddies that get into a fluster when they see any clothes items that are not worn.

Always is. It was no problem at all in PESS. Getting so sick of these stupid rules now.

There are legitimate cases where people find it really difficult and are struggling, but the harsh reality is, is that most people do nothing in relatively alright courses and are upset when they have low grades.

I would be open to the idea of the college following the American system of having a much higher probation grade average, around 2.6 is common.

One bad semester doesn't mean that they're wasting their time at college... If they pass college, they pass college whether it's by the skin of their teeth or not. Most jobs require you to have a degree now and although someone could be practical, they mightn't be very academic. You could have the best coder in the world and they mightn't be very good at remembering stuff written in slides. You can have someone who's brilliant at teaching but they aren't great at remembering exact official procedures. There's a whole host of reasons someone might do badly one semester, or why they barely get by college. It doesn't mean they're any less deservant of a degree, or the subsequent job.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    One bad semester doesn't mean that they're wasting their time at college... If they pass college, they pass college whether it's by the skin of their teeth or not. Most jobs require you to have a degree now and although someone could be practical, they mightn't be very academic. You could have the best coder in the world and they mightn't be very good at remembering stuff written in slides. You can have someone who's brilliant at teaching but they aren't great at remembering exact official procedures. There's a whole host of reasons someone might do badly one semester, or why they barely get by college. It doesn't mean they're any less deservant of a degree, or the subsequent job.

I understand all kinds of situations that can make the experience difficult but in reality the vast majority of people I know, and am friends with, are doing terrible because they haven't done anything.

If people let them believe that a 2.0 is even reasonable, that's actually doing them a disservice.

I understand all kinds of situations that can make the experience difficult but in reality the vast majority of people I know, and am friends with, are doing terrible because they haven't done anything.

If people let them believe that a 2.0 is even reasonable, that's actually doing them a disservice.

I think most people aim to get over 2.6 to get a degree anyway.

Also, will someone please tell the ones in Red Raisins to f*ck off. I learned that song in first class in primary school and they're just playing it over and over. Study is not going well... EDIT: Nevermind, they're gone. Bit ridiculous considering there's exams going on on either side of them...

Frat boys in CSIS :mad: There is one lab on the entire campus where we can do our work and these morons just have to be up here being loud and obnoxious, even though they can probably do their stuff anywhere else in the building. It's the coldest lab here too so they're not here for the comfort. Shut up or piss off, assholes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Frat boys in CSIS :mad: There is one lab on the entire campus where we can do our work and these morons just have to be up here being loud and obnoxious, even though they can probably do their stuff anywhere else in the building. It's the coldest lab here too so they're not here for the comfort. Shut up or piss off, assholes :mad:

Those 3rd floor labs are f*cking baltic this year for some reason. I can't remember them being as bad previously...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Those 3rd floor labs are f*cking baltic this year for some reason. I can't remember them being as bad previously...

They're actually the worst. It was so bad in here recently that we didn't even feel a difference when they took the window out to replace it.

This one was tolerable for the last while because it was so quiet but these assholes are in here now being loud and stupid. We can't go anywhere else :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

You just have to love UL's part time facilities for full time students. There is absolutely **** all study space outside of the small library, which I am seriously reluctant to call a study space because at this time of year it's just buzzing with a noisy atmosphere of stress and procrastination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

You just have to love UL's part time facilities for full time students. There is absolutely **** all study space outside of the small library, which I am seriously reluctant to call a study space because at this time of year it's just buzzing with a noisy atmosphere of stress and procrastination.

I can't wait to go in next Wednesday/Thursday when most people will be done by then and have some sort of semblance of peace

Not really a bitch, but as I was walking between the main gate and the East gate I passed one dude cycling on the footpath and another jogging in the cycle lane. :confused:

Bitch: 1.25 for a Twix in the vending machine in CSIS now? FFS, in my day it used to be 80c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

YFlyer wrote: »

Thats because they have been instructed as such by the Senior Invigilator who has been instructed by SAA. An invigilator is there to enforce the rules, they dont set them and their opinion of said rules is irrelevant. And some of these "old biddies" are invigilating a long time. They also are familiar with boards.ie ;)
    Always is. It was no problem at all in PESS. Getting so sick of these stupid rules now.

All the rules are set out in the Student Handbook, have been circulated by email and mentioned in lectures.Since last year a drop off point has been made available in the students union for valuables.

This is the consequence of repeated violations in previous exams. Any students who have a problem with the procedures should contact the students union about it. Invigilators are only doing their job as instructed. They dont have the authorisation to set or change rules, only enforce them.

I do agree that something needs to be done about making locker space available for students. Again this should be taken up by the students union.

And lest anyone think it, nobody likes to make things awkward for students doing exams. The current situation regarding rules is as a direct result of previous incidents. These cannot be ignored by SAA.

All the rules are set out in the Student Handbook, have been circulated by email and mentioned in lectures.Since last year a drop off point has been made available in the students union for valuables.

Which doesn't help when you have all of your exams at either 4pm or on Saturdays. Again, I understand most of the rules but it's the jacket one... It isn't an outright ban on them so the only thing i can see being an issues is health and safety. But if my cardigan, which is lighter than a jacket, fits on my chair with me without getting in the way of anyone else then I don't understand it. That just seems excessive to me.

Which doesn't help when you have all of your exams at either 4pm or on Saturdays. Again, I understand most of the rules but it's the jacket one... It isn't an outright ban on them so the only thing i can see being an issues is health and safety. But if my cardigan, which is lighter than a jacket, fits on my chair with me without getting in the way of anyone else then I don't understand it. That just seems excessive to me.

I know. I'd suggest saying it to your class rep and seeing if the students union can give feedback to SAA and see if a compromise can be reached.Otherwise the rules will stay the same.

In the meantime maybe I'd say try to wear something thats comfortable in the exam hall and have a jacket that you can leave somewhere for your walk home (some exam venues have places outside where you can leave stuff, I saw security sitting beside a load of coats and bags outside an exam venue today)

• Advertisement

I know. I'd suggest saying it to your class rep and seeing if the students union can give feedback to SAA and see if a compromise can be reached.Otherwise the rules will stay the same.

In the meantime maybe I'd say try to wear something thats comfortable in the exam hall and have a jacket that you can leave somewhere for your walk home (some exam venues have places outside where you can leave stuff, I saw security sitting beside a load of coats and bags outside an exam venue today)

That's why I was wearing a light cardigan :( Had my coat in my friend's car. I just didn't think it would get that warm in the room (been a while since I was in EGO10 so forgot what the temperature was like). To be fair, they're a bit better than they were last year since it was madness then. It's just irritating at times. Especially since your one interrupted me when I was in the middle of writing out an answer. I come here to vent so I don't argue with them when I'm in the exam :D

Some of the exam halls are sweltering. It's mad that they have the heating on full whack and the windows open. :rolleyes:

Pro tip - tie your cardigan around your waist, then its technically on you ;)

I really don't know why they're making an extra path in Kilmurry and I don't know why they think it's a good idea to do so during exam week. Between Jackhammers and lorries reversing and general building site noises. They're right outside my bedroom window. :( And they're cutting down the little horde of trees to make way for this pointless path...

Also, to my housemate, everyone else can hear your alarm, I don't know how you can't. It's just one long continuous beep for the last ten minutes, it would drive a person insane. They're even sleeping through the building works! I don't know why they set an alarm because this has happened every day this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Wait :eek: Is the SU drop off point not available after 4pm??? I have a history exam on from 4-6! Crap I need to bring stuff in as I have to meet my supervisor at 2 and also I'd like to be able to revise before the exam! Also, I have to get a fecking bus in which means I've to walk to the bus stop which is a 20 minute walk as well as walking to the Schuman building for the exam....:eek::(
    Where the feck am I supposed to leave my stuff!?

Wait :eek: Is the SU drop off point not available after 4pm??? I have a history exam on from 4-6! Crap I need to bring stuff in as I have to meet my supervisor at 2 and also I'd like to be able to revise before the exam! Also, I have to get a fecking bus in which means I've to walk to the bus stop which is a 20 minute walk as well as walking to the Schuman building for the exam....:eek::(

I don't remember when it stops but I think it stops at 5. Which means it's useless if you have 4 o'clock exams.

The bag drop off is from 8:30-5pm Mon-Fri unfortunately. But you can leave your stuff in the little foyer section of the Schuman anyways.

iLaura wrote: »
    The bag drop off is from 8:30-5pm Mon-Fri unfortunately. But you can leave your stuff in the little foyer section of the Schuman anyways.
    That seems so silly. Wouldn't it make better sense to just leave the SU open until 6 until the exams are finished. It's hardly that much extra strain. Yeah hopefully no one will tell me I can't leave my stuff there!!

I saw a member of security sitting beside all the bags and jackets in the ground floor reception of Schuman during the week

What time is the library closed at? I have a book that's due today and I certainly don't fancy walking in that weather for a book :o

What time is the library closed at? I have a book that's due today and I certainly don't fancy walking in that weather for a book :o

Midnight. Though many's the time that I've brought a book back to the library the morning after its due and have never gotten a fine for it

• Advertisement

Midnight. Though many's the time that I've brought a book back to the library the morning after its due and have never gotten a fine for it

Well I'll probably leave it till tomorrow morning as I've an exam tomorrow. How much would you get fined for not returning your book on time?

Well I'll probably leave it till tomorrow morning as I've an exam tomorrow. How much would you get fined for not returning your book on time?

Something like 50c a day I think? I've never had to pay one so I don't know :P

On another note, the young lad that sat down beside me like half an hour ago must have decided to take a bath in Vicks vapour rub and I'm allergic to it. He also decided to spray about half a can of some shocking deodorant to cover the smell and it's not working. Doesn't help that he's literally just been on facebook since he sat down

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Heavy traffic going into limerick so I missed my bus by 5 minutes, stuck in limerick until 17:25 >.>

Midkemia wrote: »
    Heavy traffic going into limerick so I missed my bus by 5 minutes, stuck in limerick until 17:25 >.>

Think of all the more study you can do! :D All A1's

Think of all the more study you can do! :D All A1's

No this is the worst part the bus only goes from Colbert so I'm stuck in Colbert station because of the weather with only pigeons to cheer me up :P

Midkemia wrote: »
    No this is the worst part the bus only goes from Colbert so I'm stuck in Colbert station because of the weather with only pigeons to cheer me up :P

Did you know that if you feed a pigeon that it will always remember you? You could make new friends :D

Did you know that if you feed a pigeon that it will always remember you? You could make new friends :D

And then train them to attack your lecturers if you get bad grades...

Think of it, you could have your very own flying rat army!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And then train them to attack your lecturers if you get bad grades...

Think of it, you could have your very own flying rat army!

This is a kind of an out there idea, but I reckon that the time you'd spend training pigeons would be better spent studying. :P

Subutai wrote: »
    This is a kind of an out there idea, but I reckon that the time you'd spend training pigeons would be better spent studying. :P

Already been stated that it can't be done :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Already been stated that it can't be done :p

Oh, well in that case a terrifying pigeon army is clearly the best way to go.

3 pigeons have gathered around me, I think they now understand the benefits of working for me.

God, this is why I love Ireland. Everyone had brought bags and jackets and we just dumped them in the Schuman foyer. :pac: I just feel that's such an Irish thing to be told to do something and then be like "Meh, I'll just bring all my stuff. Sure everyone will do the same." :pac: Never good at following rules. Reminded me of this (skip to 7.45) :pac:

This confused me so much today. I haven't been in the library since they made that returns slot so there was me standing at the machine for checking out books getting horribly confused about why I couln't find the return button. I don't know hoe many time I checked those books out in those few minutes trying to return them. I got so frustrated! :pac: I was completely lost until I saw a girl go up to the machine beside me with books, look confused and then turn around to see the return slots. That's when I realised what was going on!:pac: I'm such a dope!

PLEASE let it stop raining soon! Have an exam later and I'm going to get absolutely drenched walking in :(

PLEASE let it stop raining soon! Have an exam later and I'm going to get absolutely drenched walking in :(
    I wish it was snowing... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It'd be better than rain I suppose :P

Wish it would stop snowing in the rest of the country. I wanna get home for christmas and if the snow keeps up, that's gonna get dangerous...

Wish it would stop snowing in the rest of the country. I wanna get home for christmas and if the snow keeps up, that's gonna get dangerous...
    Relax, you have less than 2 weeks to get home for Christmas.. Loads of time really :P

Sure I live near the border up in Louth and it takes 5 hours for me to get home by train but thankfully, my dad's coming down to collect me on Tuesday so I can take my PC home for the holidays so it'll take me 3 hours to get home :D

Relax, you have less than 2 weeks to get home for Christmas.. Loads of time really :P

Sure I live near the border up in Louth and it takes 5 hours for me to get home by train but thankfully, my dad's coming down to collect me on Tuesday so I can take my PC home for the holidays so it'll take me 3 hours to get home :D

By the time I finish my exams, I'll have a week :P That's a full week of snow. I live in Donegal, in the mountains, there's already quite a lot of snow. The 8 hours to Donegal won't be too bad, they'll keep the roads gritted. The road from the bus stop to my house though...

By the time I finish my exams, I'll have a week :P That's a full week of snow. I live in Donegal, in the mountains, there's already quite a lot of snow. The 8 hours to Donegal won't be too bad, they'll keep the roads gritted. The road from the bus stop to my house though...

:eek: fúck that's a long journey!

• Advertisement
Advertisement