Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Pg. 33 of this:

You're only allowed repeat 4 modules from the entire year. It's open to interpretation whether there's a limit of 2 per semester or not. This has been the subject of much discussion in the past and the handbook is not very clear on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Chimaera wrote: »
    Pg. 33 of this:

You're only allowed repeat 4 modules from the entire year. It's open to interpretation whether there's a limit of 2 per semester or not. This has been the subject of much discussion in the past and the handbook is not very clear on the matter.

It says in the handbook that you can repeat a maximum of two modules from the Autumn Semester? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It says in the handbook that you can repeat a maximum of two modules from the Autumn Semester? :confused:

My interpretation of that is that you can't progress to the next part of the programme if you've failed more than two modules. The "next part of the programme" would be Co-Op, clinical practice or TP.

So, if you're on Co-op next semester and fail 3 exams, you've only done the Autumn Semester and can't progress to the next part of the programme because you've failed more than two.

However, if you don't have Co-Op next semester you will get to do Spring semester, and as long as you don't fail two modules you'll be able to do the Annual Repeats (which you can do a maximum of 4 of in an academic year).

TBH, my advice to you would be to not worry about it until the results come out. There's no sense worrying about it now because there's nothing you can do about it. Once the results are you'll get an immediate answer specific to your situation.

You could also contact the SU education officer, who might have experience/know who to put you in contact with who can give you a definite anser.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    My interpretation of that is that you can't progress to the next part of the programme if you've failed more than two modules. The "next part of the programme" would be Co-Op, clinical practice or TP.

So, if you're on Co-op next semester and fail 3 exams, you've only done the Autumn Semester and can't progress to the next part of the programme because you've failed more than two.

However, if you don't have Co-Op next semester you will get to do Spring semester, and as long as you don't fail two modules you'll be able to do the Annual Repeats (which you can do a maximum of 4 of in an academic year).

TBH, my advice to you would be to not worry about it until the results come out. There's no sense worrying about it now because there's nothing you can do about it. Once the results are you'll get an immediate answer specific to your situation.

You could also contact the SU education officer, who might have experience/know who to put you in contact with who can give you a definite anser.

I know there's no point in getting myself worked up but 6 weeks is kinda a long wait and considering that my exams went awry, I just wanted to know a couple of things that could ease that worries I'll get in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My housemate has spent the last hour in the hallway, shaking a bag, clicking his fingers, going in and out slamming the doors, scrapping on something, before leaving and slamming the front door too... I have no idea what he's doing but it's absolutely ridiculous time in the morning to wake the entire house. One of the other housemates went out to talk to him but it didn't stop... I just wanna sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Burn the house down. That'll teach him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Yesterday morning at 4am I was woke up by my house mate bringing about 6 people back. They went into the kitchen and kept me awake all night. I was up at 4am and had a test that evening. Now their all in the kitchen again so I'm stuck in my room :( Didn't even get an apology for waking me up at that time :p

Woo a few of them have left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

20 days after I first started my exams and an extremely horrible exam today, I am finally finished :D

CSIS is eerily quiet today.

I've been in a lab since 8:30 and no-one else has come in.

This would be in the Woo-Hoo thread, but OH DEAR JESUS IT'S COLD!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I'm so dumb...Gave myself and my FYP supervisor a deadline for Chapter two of the 21st of December. It is now the 22nd and I barely have 500 words done...Oops!

Hopefully my good-natured e-mail to my supervisor to change that deadline and grant holiday wishes goes down well :P

I was reading through old posts and saw something about getting a letter before the results come out if you've failed something? Does this still happen?

I was reading through old posts and saw something about getting a letter before the results come out if you've failed something? Does this still happen?

AFAIK, no. I've never failed so I don't have any first hand experience, but I don't think so

Anyone know if the print room will be open before the start of the semester? Ideally before the 6th of Jan

Anyone know if the print room will be open before the start of the semester? Ideally before the 6th of Jan

Is it for college? If so, slow yourself down! No rush :p

Is it for college? If so, slow yourself down! No rush :p

Nope :P I just have a few sheets to print but I've no credit. Have about 28c worth to print and the minimum online top up is 10euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Nope :P I just have a few sheets to print but I've no credit. Have about 28c worth to print and the minimum online top up is 10euro

I don't know you but write to me that Monday if you are stuck, I've to head back up and can print them for ya.

Is anyone else's Sulis not working? I can't log in.

Is anyone else's Sulis not working? I can't log in.

SULIS and student email are down till 9pm tomorrow

ITD wishes to advise that pursuant to the interruption to the electricity supply to the campus from midnight tonight (as advised by Buildings & Estates) a full IT shutdown will commence today Monday 5-Jan at 3pm. All IT Systems and services will be unavailable from this time. Student email services will also be affected. Restoration of systems and services will commence from 9pm Tue 6-Jan with the expectation that some services may take longer to restore than others.

ITD recognises the inconvenience experienced by our customers as a result of this service interruption. Thank you for your patience.

I'm glad I didn't go back to Limerick last night like I was planning to now. Don't fancy a night with no electricity in Dromroe if I'm honest. :P

I've stuff in the freezer :(

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    I've stuff in the freezer :(

It'll be fine. The power's only meant to be off until tomorrow morning so the residual temperature in the freezer should keep things frozen. The time of the massive storm last year we'd no electricity for about 4 days and stuff in the deep freeze was still frozen solid, so tbh I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hope so, I left chicken in there just before I left so I dunno how frozen it got.

Hope so, I left chicken in there just before I left so I dunno how frozen it got.

If you left it in two weeks ago, it'll be well frozen now :rolleyes:

If you left it in two weeks ago, it'll be well frozen now :rolleyes:

Or, ya know, I've been back since to do FYP work? I do hate this :rolleyes: crap unless someone actually says something stupid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

iLaura wrote: »
    SULIS and student email are down till 9pm tomorrow

ITD wishes to advise that pursuant to the interruption to the electricity supply to the campus from midnight tonight (as advised by Buildings & Estates) a full IT shutdown will commence today Monday 5-Jan at 3pm. All IT Systems and services will be unavailable from this time. Student email services will also be affected. Restoration of systems and services will commence from 9pm Tue 6-Jan with the expectation that some services may take longer to restore than others.

ITD recognises the inconvenience experienced by our customers as a result of this service interruption. Thank you for your patience.

Should that be 9 am?

Email service is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have a graduation coming up in a few weeks. Anyone know the story with the caps and gowns etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

When do ye reckon the timetables for next semester will be out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

shano_88 wrote: »
    When do ye reckon the timetables for next semester will be out?

I'd say sometime next week. They came out on the 10th last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

TIMETABLES ARE UP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Wow, 9am start every single day, and the earliest I finish any day is 3pm..

• Advertisement

8 til 6 Monday, 9 to 6 Tuesday (majority of this is the same two lectures from Monday who for some reason, despite being the more simple modules are demanding the most of our time). The rest of the week isn't too bad and Friday leaves me free to get the bus home on occasion. As nice as the rest of the week is, I still don't have enough non-lecture time...

Great timetable everyday except Tuesday! :p:)

Only thing on a Friday is a tutorial from 11-12 :D The rest of it is only alright.

What a shít timetable I got.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, in at 9, finish at 5/6. Wednesday, in at 9, finished at 12.

Why couldn't I have the Wednesday's timetable swapped over with Friday..? Makes more sense seeing that I have to be home at weekends for work and it's a really long commute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

What a shít timetable I got.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, in at 9, finish at 5/6. Wednesday, in at 9, finished at 12.

Why couldn't I have the Wednesday's timetable swapped over with Friday..? Makes more sense seeing that I have to be home at weekends for work and it's a really long commute :(

That's rough, what course?

ScummyMan wrote: »
    That's rough, what course?

Aero Eng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Mine is lovely this year. No 9ams (I'll have one, but that's from an extra module so that's my own fault) and finished by 4 every day. Also finished at 3 on Fridays so can catch my bus no bother!

Yeah, I have 9 contact hours for my final semester in UL. Gettin' all emotional here... :P

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are 9am starts, but realistically I'll be starting at earlier most days anyway, so can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Cheers for all the 9 o'clock starts! Here's hoping some of them inconvenience the lecturers like they did last semester and get changed around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Is the Students Union open? Want to get a student travel card from there. If it's not, any idea when it is?

TheGunns wrote: »
    Is the Students Union open? Want to get a student travel card from there. If it's not, any idea when it is?

Any particular reason you need the travel card? Student card works for buying bus/train tickets. That being said I"ve no idea if its open. Message them on facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

iLaura wrote: »
    Any particular reason you need the travel card? Student card works for buying bus/train tickets. That being said I"ve no idea if its open. Message them on facebook?
    I'm on coop so want to get a student leap card :o Will check now, thanks!

My bitching at home and to friends has not satisfied me so I'm here to have another moan about my timetable.
    Only one 9am (which is a nuisance for early risers like me) and finished at 6 Tuesday to Friday, made even more annoying by the fact I only have one hour on a Monday. Hopefully my Friday evening tutorials will be moved :(

I hate my supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I hate my supervisor.

Same here!

What's happened?

Mine won't help me AT ALL!!

• Advertisement

Aragneer wrote: »
    Same here!

What's happened?

Mine won't help me AT ALL!!

I've lost count of the number of times we've gone over the same things again and again and again. If I listed everything she's done to mess things up, I'd be writing for a very long time. I wouldn't mind if she gave me any control but she hasn't except at random times. She basically told me what FYP I'm doing (which of course, changed when it was questioned by other lecturers and she blamed me) and everything about it without letting me have a say. Now she's told me I need to find a hypothesis... yet I don't understand half the experiment because she keeps changing it! As well as that, I know fine rightly that she only wants me to do that (which under any other circumstances, I'd have no problem doing since it's meant to be my experiment) because then she can blame me if someone questions it. She keeps asking for consent forms, despite having sent them 3 times. I've sent her multiple emails about equipment and she ignores them (this was after refusing to allow me to use any equipment from UL). She emails me out of the blue looking for a new lit review when she was going to correct the old one and send it to me. Then she wanted the old lit review and the materials & methods which I sent to her before Christmas already. Before I left, we agreed I'd do some testing before I went back. There was no word on this and when I asked, she told me it wasn't until Feb. I asked her was it not before Feb and she goes "oh right, yeah it can be. You need to send me on consent forms though" I HAVE!! THREE TIMES!! What about equipment?! No mention of that still. And this was just in the last two weeks... Last semester was a nightmare.

I actually just want to crawl into a corner and forget about the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

"Notification for students on Portal:
    Due to on-going review of the Student Records System results will be issued on 5th FEB when on-line PROVISIONAL grades and QCA will be available to all students www.results.ul..ie Following ratification of results by the University’s Academic Council Grading Committee final results and progression decisions will be published on 12th FEBRUARY on-line. Please note the University will ONLY deal with queries on results AFTER the final results have been published."

Please tell me we don't have to wait until February for the results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Reminded me, I must get one of them now.. :P

"Notification for students on Portal:
    Due to on-going review of the Student Records System results will be issued on 5th FEB when on-line PROVISIONAL grades and QCA will be available to all students www.results.ul..ie Following ratification of results by the University’s Academic Council Grading Committee final results and progression decisions will be published on 12th FEBRUARY on-line. Please note the University will ONLY deal with queries on results AFTER the final results have been published."

Please tell me we don't have to wait until February for the results...

I thought the results were the 22nd? I've been counting down :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I thought the results were the 22nd? I've been counting down :O

I know! That's what it says on the academic calendar and I'm pretty sure that's what was on the signs around the exam centres too, but I'm not sure now after seeing that notice :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement