Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do they purposely try to sweat us out of the library
    WHAT IS WITH THE HEAT

Only when the windows aren't wide open and the place is freezing...

sup_dude wrote: »
    Only when the windows aren't wide open and the place is freezing...

I only lasted 30 minutes earlier because it was so hot.
    That and the fact that the whole table was free but a lad decided it was necessary to sit right across from me, open a copy and proceed to eat his lunchbox of spag bol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

In Venice they always do that.
    Everyone seems to bring preprepared meals and eat them between classes or in library.. The done thing I suppose. That said; there are vending machines everywhere for coffee and food and stuff.
    They kinda want you to eat at college to spend longer here. Only one canteen though.
    Image made me laugh though...
    I know you said eating but in my mind all I can picture is scoffing slurping and sucking, big red lips and cheeks, splatters of sauce everywhere... In UL I'd go to a cafe to each lunch, even preprepared and order a coffee or a drink so I'm technically a paying customer.. :P

Image made me laugh though...
    I know you said eating but in my mind all I can picture is scoffing slurping and sucking, big red lips and cheeks, splatters of sauce everywhere... In UL I'd go to a cafe to each lunch, even preprepared and order a coffee or a drink so I'm technically a paying customer.. :P

Oh, when I said eating I was being nice.
    There was scoffing, slurping, sucking, sauce everywhere. And some strange eye contact.
    It was awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

This bloody FYP :( finding it so hard to be motivated but I'm just sick of it at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

My only lecture today at 9 o'clock got cancelled and she only sent the email after eleven last night, I was in bed.:o :( If I've a nine o'clock lecture it means I'm up at six, so I'm fairly tired now! Can't go home either though because there's loud children and a screaming baby and I'll never get anything done. So I'm marooned in the library and I hate this library because I spend way too much time here.:( This day is not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hating these angled sockets in the library. Can't plug in my mac charger since it's fúcking massive :(

Never mind, a seat just opened up and I have a wall socket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

anyone know where I can get soup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

anyone know where I can get soup?

Spar have soup and bread for like 2.50 I think

• Advertisement

The cafe in the library have vegetable soup and roll for €3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

CSIS cafe has nice soup too. Not sure on price.

If there's one thing I hate more than early mornings its god damn group projects. Four members in the group, everyone had their work to do by Sunday for the project thats due this week. One person isnt bothering their arse, isnt available to meet up at all and hasnt done their work. FFS -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Was so tired this morning in the library, on my way out I swiped my card on the left instead of the right, meaning the wrong gate opened. By the time I realised it was too late and I was stuck inside :o
    My next amazing idea was to wait until someone else opened a gate and follow them out quickly.. Cue red lights and loud beeping, and me speed walking out of there...

Soooo ya I don't think I can ever enter the library again :pac:

So excited/terrified for my presentation tomorrow at the AICUR conference! ah, I really hope I don't screw it up/bore people to death. It is only ten minutes but I feel like my presentation is really "meh" as it's to do with English literature.:o

So excited/terrified for my presentation tomorrow at the AICUR conference! ah, I really hope I don't screw it up/bore people to death. It is only ten minutes but I feel like my presentation is really "meh" as it's to do with English literature.:o

Oooh! I'm doing that too.

And I'm thinking the exact same thoughts... :o

Good Luck!
    I'll be either on route back to Ireland whilst you're doing that...
    Wishing you well from the clouds :D

Actually chances are I'll be in a queue somewhere in Venice, late enough flight... But on the off chance it's late, I'll wish you well from the clouds, if not I'll send my wishes from the boring ground... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Oral exams...What cruel person thought they were a good idea..

Fail this and the module is failed...Wunderbar, danke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oooh! I'm doing that too.

And I'm thinking the exact same thoughts... :o

Did you have an FYP demo today by any chance?

• Advertisement

Ugh, finalised title has to be submitted tomorrow morning :( I still don't know what my FYP is!

Did you have an FYP demo today by any chance?

Yeah... :o

Which brings me nicely on to my bitch for today: Chose the exact moment the classes were getting their pictures taken to come out of AICUR for some air. Punctured the relatively contented feeling nicely.

But hey, no one to blame but myself, etc.

Also: Precious Flower, if your presentation was the one I thought it was, I genuinely really enjoyed it and found it a really interesting topic. :)

Used my deductive reasoning when handed one of the FYP booklets :pac: Your project sounds interesting! We were going to head down to that lab actually, the one that yours was in, but it looked too intimidating in that room so we went to a different room :D

My bitch of the day... One of the FYP students asked were we 2nd or 3rd years. I'm doing a post grad, dammit :P

Used my deductive reasoning when handed one of the FYP booklets :pac: Your project sounds interesting! We were going to head down to that lab actually, the one that yours was in, but it looked too intimidating in that room so we went to a different room :D

My bitch of the day... One of the FYP students asked were we 2nd or 3rd years. I'm doing a post grad, dammit :P

I'm actually relieved that you saw it in the booklet and there wasn't a full scale search in CSIS when I didn't show up. :o :P

Yeah, it was an interesting topic and something I was really passionate about, but just got a bit... I dunno.

And yeah, that room is intimidating at the best of times tbh.

I'm actually relieved that you saw it in the booklet and there wasn't a full scale search in CSIS when I didn't show up. :o :P

Yeah, it was an interesting topic and something I was really passionate about, but just got a bit... I dunno.

And yeah, that room is intimidating at the best of times tbh.

We call it castle black! So damn cold up there last semester and I lived there then. Only lab in the whole place where we can do COBOL... That's why we gave it that name. COBOL used to be very honourable and important, much like the night's watch. Over time, fewer and fewer people do it and it's still really important but there aren't enough people left defending it. And as I've mentioned, damn cold there during the winter.

Which brings me nicely on to my bitch for today: Chose the exact moment the classes were getting their pictures taken to come out of AICUR for some air. Punctured the relatively contented feeling nicely.

But hey, no one to blame but myself, etc.

Also: Precious Flower, if your presentation was the one I thought it was, I genuinely really enjoyed it and found it a really interesting topic. :)
    Ah, my identity has been revealed. I should have kept quiet!:p I must learn to channel my inner Ron Swanson. It can't be the one you're thinking of then! :o I was a mess up there every time I go to give a presentation I always think I'll get through it no problem, no nerves. Then I finally get up there and my voice shakes and I get all clumsy! Even though I practised all day yesterday. Though it was an awkward enough topic I chose to focus in on!:o Everyone's presentation was so good I almost felt kind of silly going up and doing mine on a novel while everyone else was on languages, science, maths, computers etc. But anyway I did it and got a bag that says ZAGG so I always think of Zigg and Zagg, a pen, certificate and earphones so I'm happy :) I wished I had gotten a prize though :/ but I wasn't expecting one seen by presentation was on literature and didn't really reveal anything or produce interesting findings. The winners got headphones and vouchers!:) I didn't see your presentation Wnolan. :) I'm sure it was brilliant!

Also, I'm wrecked! I didn't get home until nine (between the afters and waiting for the bus) and I've a history lecture/tutorial in the morning at 9 and I've no primary reading done for it :/

• Advertisement

Ah, my identity has been revealed. I should have kept quiet!:p I must learn to channel my inner Ron Swanson. It can't be the one you're thinking of then! :o I was a mess up there every time I go to give a presentation I always think I'll get through it no problem, no nerves. Then I finally get up there and my voice shakes and I get all clumsy! Even though I practised all day yesterday. Though it was an awkward enough topic I chose to focus in on!:o Everyone's presentation was so good I almost felt kind of silly going up and doing mine on a novel while everyone else was on languages, science, maths, computers etc. But anyway I did it and got a bag that says ZAGG so I always think of Zigg and Zagg, a pen, certificate and earphones so I'm happy :) I wished I had gotten a prize though :/ but I wasn't expecting one seen by presentation was on literature and didn't really reveal anything or produce interesting findings. The winners got headphones and vouchers!:) I didn't see your presentation Wnolan. :) I'm sure it was brilliant!

Also, I'm wrecked! I didn't get home until nine (between the afters and waiting for the bus) and I've a history lecture/tutorial in the morning at 9 and I've no primary reading done for it :/

The reason I actually really liked yours was because it was so different. I actually love when people analyse novels like that because I never do it myself when I'm reading, but as soon as it's mentioned it's like "OMG that's so cool!" in my head. :o

I missed the prizes at the end because my head exploded in pain at around 5 so I left, any idea off the top of your head who won stuff?
    How were the afters?

#AICURbantz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Is this event some sort of nerd convention :v

Midkemia wrote: »

Yeah.

:o

:P

The reason I actually really liked yours was because it was so different. I actually love when people analyse novels like that because I never do it myself when I'm reading, but as soon as it's mentioned it's like "OMG that's so cool!" in my head. :o

I missed the prizes at the end because my head exploded in pain at around 5 so I left, any idea off the top of your head who won stuff?
    How were the afters?

#AICURbantz :P
    A friend of mine, don't know if you saw his but he reported on this organisation who helped children from disadvantages areas realise their potential and try to spark their interest in third level and even leaving cert education.Him and another girl (I can recall what she did) won. I was well jel! The girl who did the five minute presentation about Tumblr won as well. And the guy who did the flipped classroom poster won the best poster! I think that was all the prizes! :) Afters were grand got a free drink and they gave us pretty decent finger food, though I should have no been eating sausages and wedges, the unfit mess that I am! But the wedges were amazing!
    Midkemia wrote: »
    HEY! I ain't no nerd.........I'm not smart enough. :o And I won a certificate, so there! I'm great! Can't wait to see the photos from that! Ah!

Also decided not to go to my nine o'clock lecture today since I'm too lazy and didn't have the material read but I'm in the library so hopefully I'll get some work done! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It was great to be at demo day this year, and see it from the point of view of those finished and working! I remember the panic last year. Some really good projects in the CSIS this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

What's going on around campus with everyone all dressed up? Is there graduations or something?

sibby wrote: »
    What's going on around campus with everyone all dressed up? Is there graduations or something?

FYP presentations maybe? I'm not sure though.

Turns out it's some kind of awards ceremony for economics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Does anyone know what was going on in the CSIS building yesterday? I had to leave at half five and there was an ice cream cart being set up. And I saw beer....

Does anyone know what was going on in the CSIS building yesterday? I had to leave at half five and there was an ice cream cart being set up. And I saw beer....

:eek:

I missed out a lot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

sibby wrote: »
    Turns out it's some kind of awards ceremony for economics!

My course had a presentation for our FYP too :)

Ciano35 wrote: »
    My course had a presentation for our FYP too :)

Hope they went well!! Best of luck to all the fyp presentations. I remember the relief when I finished mine, best feeling ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Is there anywhere in UL that has computers I can use after the library shuts at 7?

I love when the library is quite empty with plenty of spare seats about and yet some fecker decides to sit beside you. Wouldn't mind but there's plenty of other seats around that a) completely empty or b) easier to get to...

An admirer :P

• Advertisement

An admirer :P

I wasn't there when he sat down, went to print stuff off. On the contrary, he sat there because his girlfriend was at the windows seat across from it and they couldn't possibly sit more than two seats away from each other due to severe separation anxiety.

Well I was kind of right then... :P
    Kudos for splitting up awkward library couple as well :D
    They'd be exponentially more annoying together. :P

It wasn't me who split them up, it was the two people who sat beside the girl :P The guy just climbed over my seat to get the nearest possible seat to her. I really don't understand it...

Oh I know what you mean, across from each other..
    You've got to think some people just go to the library to meet up with the other half.
    Long gone are the days of cinemas and walks in the park.. :p

While this has absolutely nothing to do about bitching in UL, this is probably the most visited thread. There's a new link for Cite it Right, and it is so much more helpful than the pdf version. It can be found here; http://www3.ul.ie/referencing/miniSite/bookEdited.htm :)

Just coming back from the last day in Clonshire Equestrian. Been going every week for the last four years. It's weird that we'll never be there again...

Just me, or is the wired internet gone to sh*te lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I thought it had to do with the volume/number of users. Computer labs were packed today, and it took ages for anything to load. It might get better when the project panic is over.

Oh wait....

I know the person thats over the wired networks in UL and can mention it to them. Where were you that the internet was bad?

• Advertisement

iLaura wrote: »
    I know the person thats over the wired networks in UL and can mention it to them. Where were you that the internet was bad?

Dromroe. Browsing speed is fine, but downloading from iTunes is interminable the last week or so, and I was trying to get some audio clips from audioblocks for a project I'm working on and the bloody pages are taking like 40 seconds to load.

First world problems. :P

Advertisement