Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

To the person who can afford to laze outside the library in a hammock while I'm studying; fúck you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I wish the people beside me in the library would stop talking I cant remember stuff cos I can hear everyword of their conversation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

I mean hey everyone how are ye Week 12 is going great I'm not at all stressed nope.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Back to Venice after a trip that lasted a bit too long in Ireland.. wonder how lenient college will be for family related stuff because I have missed a colosal amount of stuff :$
    I'm going to start 7 day studying next week...
    I haven't failed a semester in UL yet, its not my intention to start abroad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

To the person eating spag bol in the library,

That smells really good. Now I'm hungry. Fudge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

The fire alarm went off in CSIS yesterday, was that a drill or what? Everyone in the lab just laughed it off and kept typing, but I had to leave after a few minutes, it got very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

The fire alarm went off in CSIS yesterday, was that a drill or what? Everyone in the lab just laughed it off and kept typing, but I had to leave after a few minutes, it got very annoying.

Apparently something set it off in one of the rooms and it was going off for so long because they needed a key or something. So no, it wasn't a drill, but it wasn't a real fire either. We also weren't going to leave :D

Apparently something set it off in one of the rooms and it was going off for so long because they needed a key or something. So no, it wasn't a drill, but it wasn't a real fire either. We also weren't going to leave :D

"It wasn't a real fire either."
    Fags? :P

"It wasn't a real fire either."
    Fags? :P

We just thought someone finally lost it over the software project a lot of people were preparing :D We were just happy to have an excuse to go outside for a few minutes.

• Advertisement

We just thought someone finally lost it over the software project a lot of people were preparing :D

One of my team went home without telling me. He just packed up and left yesterday because he couldn't handle the little thing I needed him to build.
    It did occur to me that he might have pulled an alarm to stop me finishing the project....

Made it myself in about ten minutes anyway, but we needed to write up the deliverables today and split work percentages between us.

He showed up just to argue with me, and walked out of the building without signing anything. The rest of the team were sort of looking forward to me hitting him.....

The rest of the team were sort of looking forward to me hitting him.....

If it's the same project I'm thinking of, a fight did break out with it last year so you might as well continue the tradition :pac: :D

If it's the same project I'm thinking of, a fight did break out with it last year so you might as well continue the tradition :pac: :D

I heard about the Gardai getting called! That lecturer isn't doing any more interviews for our projects as far as I know. I was really looking forward to them, but we only had an interview for the first out of four. :(

I was going to have so much fun. I still have all the popcorn I was going to bring, the wire I was going to wear.... I just wanted to see him get slaughtered! *sobs*

I heard about the Gardai getting called! That lecturer isn't doing any more interviews for our projects as far as I know. I was really looking forward to them, but we only had an interview for the first out of four. :(

I was going to have so much fun. I still have all the popcorn I was going to bring, the wire I was going to wear.... I just wanted to see him get slaughtered! *sobs*

Awh :( Must be a different module so because we still have demos for our one! I just couldn't believe the amount of people in all the labs today. It was almost impossible to get a pc.

What's worse than people in the library fecking off is people staying logged on to the CSIS computers when there are almost no seats and then don't come back at all. We were in a lab for 6 hours and the person who abandoned their pc while logged in never came back.

Well, we were supposed to have an interview eventually, I kept asking about it and getting told "it' s next week or the week after." Someone told me this morning that they've been called off altogether.

It might actually be a good thing. The rest of the people in this module were bricking themselves.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Whereabouts is EM009? I'm having a hard time picturing it and I have an oral exam (:() there later.

• Advertisement

Whereabouts is EM009? I'm having a hard time picturing it and I have an oral exam (:() there later.

Main building :) Around where Eden is

Does anyone know what time the computers in the Kemmy building close at today?

Distantly remember it being 7 O Clock..
    Don't hold me to that but the number 7 rings a bell...
    Remember I used to go there for the day when library was packed and switch to library then after 6 when majority were gone.. :)

Is there anywhere in UL open today that has computers apart from the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Is there anywhere in UL open today that has computers apart from the library?

Try AM061 in the main building.

• Advertisement

Or Venus labs I think it's called..
    Remember it taking me ages to find it..
    Best directions I can give would be start at courtyard. Go through arch past laundrettes and carry on straight forward across car park kinda place to doors of main building. Go straight through both sets of doors and once you're out again carry on walking forward. Should come to a double door to your right, I think there's a plaque with 'Kate O Brien' on it outside it. There's about 40/50 computers in first room there with a printer. Nice spot but it's often pretty packed. Worth a look in though as it's near Spar, O Mahoneys, ATM and bar should you need anything from any of them.. :P Oh and SU.. :P
    Computers there tend to be in demand though so I wouldn't leave seat unoccupied for too long. Was a fan of KBS computers personally. Out of the way, near cafe, water fountain and bathroom. All I need when studying. :D

Is there any free seats in the library?

Is there any free seats in the library?

There's a lot of desks with no one sitting at them, but with books and stuff, and its so obvious that no ones actually sitting there.

There's maybe 5-6 seats in the Reading Room, but I dunno what the availablity of plugs is like in there

iLaura wrote: »
    There's a lot of desks with no one sitting at them, but with books and stuff, and its so obvious that no ones actually sitting there.

There's maybe 5-6 seats in the Reading Room, but I dunno what the availablity of plugs is like in there

I'm about to go in and I hope I get a seat :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Anyone know why the fishtank is closed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

kerryked wrote: »
    Anyone know why the fishtank is closed? :confused:

My guess is that they're setting it up for exams next week for those that type their exams.

I wish that there was a rule if your gone from your desk longer than 10 minutes your stuff gets moved. Surely if people are going for dinner or whatever they could take their stuff and let someone else have their desk.

I wish that there was a rule if your gone from your desk longer than 10 minutes your stuff gets moved. Surely if people are going for dinner or whatever they could take their stuff and let someone else have their desk.

The 'rule' is 30 mins. 10 mins is a bit harsh. What if you went to the shop to buy water or whatever and the queue was long? Surely that doesn't mean your stuff should be moved. The library during study week is a waiting game. You need to be in early (like in the queue before 8 early) to get a seat. You might still get one at 9, but chances are the plug at the desk isn't working. It quietens down come 6ish too.

I do agree that people who are gone for 60+ should have their stuff moved. But then again, security are too afraid to move stuff. When I was in 1st year they used to go around and place little warning notes on peoples desks, but no one took any notice.

The 'rule' is 30 mins. 10 mins is a bit harsh. What if you went to the shop to buy water or whatever and the queue was long? Surely that doesn't mean your stuff should be moved. The library during study week is a waiting game. You need to be in early (like in the queue before 8 early) to get a seat. You might still get one at 9, but chances are the plug at the desk isn't working. It quietens down come 6ish too.

I do agree that people who are gone for 60+ should have their stuff moved. But then again, security are too afraid to move stuff. When I was in 1st year they used to go around and place little warning notes on peoples desks, but no one took any notice.

Maybe 20 minutes haha

Maybe 20 minutes haha

If I want for a cup of tea I still wouldnt have it drank in 20 minutes. It's too burnies for my mouth! :(

• Advertisement

Maybe 20 minutes haha

You're awful harsh there. I could take over ten minutes to get books and that's never having left the library. I think 30 mins is a bit harsh. If you're in the library from 8am til midnight, it's not exactly fair to have to stay at your desk the whole time, or lose your seat to someone who isn't under as much pressure (cough* first years cough*) :P

sup_dude wrote: »
    You're awful harsh there. I could take over ten minutes to get books and that's never having left the library. I think 30 mins is a bit harsh. If you're in the library from 8am til midnight, it's not exactly fair to have to stay at your desk the whole time, or lose your seat to someone who isn't under as much pressure (cough* first years cough*) :P

Probably being more selfish than harsh haha :v I found a seat after ages only to find out there's no plug. :'(

People seem to be giving up very early today. I passed a few empty seats on my way to the bathrooms, and there's an empty desk directly behind me, which is strange since its one of the single desks which seem to be the popular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I take it ill get a spot if i head in now ya?

Fight for plugs all over the world.. :P
    In library here and it's the same story..
    Doesn't help that if I do get a plug, my big dirty tourist converter takes up two sockets...
    Not making any friends.. :P
    Came in at 12 and it was packed, left about 7, took stuff with me and back again now til half 11 to 12. Library's always packed in the mornings and quiet later on.. I know if I came in at 7 I'd be shattered come 9/10 or just wouldn't come back after dinner..
    So now I sleep in, charge laptop before I come to library, come in about 12, work away but if I see a seat near a plug open up in the time between 12 and laptop dying I'm there instantly.
    Each department has it's own library here but Economics library shuts at 8 which is useless for me. This library is 10 mins away and open 7 til 12 :)
    Think it's a languages and computer science library but shouldn't matter.. ;P

In UL, never failed to get a seat after half 6...
    Computer population halves come 6 and I'd say at least 20-25% students leave too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

SU has decided to close at 5 this week.

10th study week in UL and this is the first time this has been the case. Pain in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ya, theres plenty of spots alright. Why are the radiators on? Place is like a sauna!

will there be a queue tomorrow morning?

• Advertisement

will there be a queue tomorrow morning?

There'll be a queue every week day for the next three weeks :P be there before 8 in the morning and you're guaranteed a seat. Be there around 7.40 and you get a choice of them!

There'll be a queue every week day for the next three weeks :P be there before 8 in the morning and you're guaranteed a seat. Be there around 7.40 and you get a choice of them!

I better set the alarm for 6:30 so... will need that long to wake up :P

Remember getting there before 8 one morning, was half way in queue that had curved around into main plaza and back onto Spar path.. :P
    Waited about half an hour before getting in and still only got an alright seat and spent a fortune on coffee to keep me awake.. :S
    Discovering KBS computer lap was best thing ever :)

I better set the alarm for 6:30 so... will need that long to wake up :P

I'm the exact same. Woke up at 6.30. Got out of bed at 7.05. Left house at 7.20 and queued from 7.30 onwards.

Are people really that desperate to get a seat in the library? Never would I get up at fúck o' clock for that. KBS is the way forward!

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Are people really that desperate to get a seat in the library? Never would I get up at fúck o' clock for that. KBS is the way forward!

I tried study in KBS once or twice, but I am far too much a messy studier to be able to be in there with small desks and a computer in the way

• Advertisement

I tried study in KBS once or twice, but I am far too much a messy studier to be able to be in there with small desks and a computer in the way

Try the classrooms. Mostly empty during study week really.

i like the library because seeing other people working encourages me to haha and I like the big tables

Try the classrooms. Mostly empty during study week really.

I find the desks there to be really narrow? Is that the right word I'm looking for? The barely sit a refill pad on them properly

I find the desks there to be really narrow? Is that the right word I'm looking for? The barely sit a refill pad on them properly

No, there's classrooms with massive desks in them. Maybe they're in Schuman rather than KBS. Can't really tell which part of the building is KBS and Schuman

No, there's classrooms with massive desks in them. Maybe they're in Schuman rather than KBS. Can't really tell which part of the building is KBS and Schuman

Oh cool! I'll have to go have a look tomorrow so, though I'll still be in the library for 7.30 :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement