Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

mud wrote: »
    Invigilators clip clopping like HORSES up and down EGO10 :mad:

Awful exam environment as well, this isn't meant to be a concentration camp

FFS wear quiet shoes and stop grabbing attention away from the exam papers.

It was ever thus! Always hated exams there, being in a classroom was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Since when cant you print stuff in the library at the weekends!?!?
    The postgrad room is closed these days aswell and I no longer have access to the 24 hour design lab or AM0..

Any1 know where I can print stuff tomorrow?

amo061 should be open. I presume thats the room you meant by AM0?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Since when cant you print stuff in the library at the weekends!?!?
    The postgrad room is closed these days aswell and I no longer have access to the 24 hour design lab or AM0..

Any1 know where I can print stuff tomorrow?

People were tampering with the printers :rolleyes:

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    amo061 should be open. I presume thats the room you meant by AM0?

only engineers hav access to them computers. Ill try to sent stuff to that printer tho

Theres nothing stopping you going in for a few mins if all you want to do is print stuff, but it is really for engineers only technically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

Theres nothing stopping you going in for a few mins if all you want to do is print stuff, but it is really for engineers only technically

Sign on the door says that anyone can use it but at peak times preference is given to engineers. Unlike the physics lab anyone can log into amo pcs so as long as its not busy you should feel free to go in there to get some printing done.

onedoubleo wrote: »
    Sign on the door says that anyone can use it but at peak times preference is given to engineers. Unlike the physics lab anyone can log into amo pcs so as long as its not busy you should feel free to go in there to get some printing done.

I think its for engineers full stop, doesn't matter if its busy in there or not. Nearly certain of that. No one is going to stop you printing a few things off during exam week though as it'll be quiet in there now.

I think its for engineers full stop, doesn't matter if its busy in there or not. Nearly certain of that. No one is going to stop you printing a few things off during exam week though as it'll be quiet in there now.

Only engineers can log onto the computers in AM0. It wasnt like that last year. I was a Mech last year and now im with the materials crowd and my access is blocked. Tried it earlier in the year with no luck logging on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

:mad: Stupid lecturer! :mad:
    Emailing me asking for an assignment which I submitted on the 7th December!
    Damn fool, I sent her back a copy of the email and the response I received..

I was kind enough to resend the project, but if I get penalised grades for her stupidity I'll be well annoyed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

Invigilators clip clopping like HORSES up and down EGO10 :mad:

Awful exam environment as well, this isn't meant to be a concentration camp

FFS wear quiet shoes and stop grabbing attention away from the exam papers.

I had an exam there on Tuesday and there were no heels worn( by the invigulators at least) it was lovely, had a seat at the front too so no looking up and seeing the rows upon rows of students. Have another one there at half twelve and hopefully it will be more of the same.
    Now all they need to do is stop having different length exams in there, the noise after an hour and a half and then two hours was killer. It seemed like nobody waited to chat about how they did until they were out of the hall. On that cingrats to the nurses who had a very good exam apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Spent nigh on 15 minutes trying to get off the campus this evening.

Anyone know when the goddam road-works will be finished?

Grrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

got stuck in it myself. what makes it wors you spend the same amount of time getting into the college an hour earlier. pain in the arse when you have to drag your arse accross the city for one lousy class.

so frustrating!

I'd normally hang on for a bit but had to be in Tipp for 7 so had to face it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I know Buildings and Estates have a difficult job, but why did they in their infinite wisdom decide to undertake such disruptive work in the middle of the academic year, specifically at the beginning of one of the semesters???

In fairness, they had started during the holidays . . . . I just hope it's over sooon.

• Advertisement

They were supposed to have the pedestrian crossings done before college started up again but i think the freezing weather put a hold on it and might have damaged some of them

In fairness, they had started during the holidays . . . . I just hope it's over sooon.

In fairness they started during the winter holidays.... I mean come on here people! They start work which requires decent weather in the depths of winter and the shorter break of 5 weeks instead of during the 12 week summer break!

I mean there's allowances to be made for work running over, but not for deliberately picking tight deadlines and having the work run over.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Story goes that the money was suddenly flung their way in November and the work had to be started by the end of the year or it'd be clawed back.

Not that there was anything massively wrong with the road that was there for the most part. Cynics would be reminded a little of this:

typical accountancy practices :P Next thing they'll have found €1.5million for a new hous.......:(

People who snot their way through lectures

Had to get up and leave a lecture today* because of two ignorami who couldn't just go and get a tissue.

Oh no, they spent the entire time sniffing their mucus up their nose, coughing it out of their throat and generally being ver ver unpleasant.

Seriously . . . get a tisue.

*may seem a bit of an over-reaction but was as green as the contents of their noses and had to get out of there. Other people's mucus sets off my gag reflex somethin' awful. :(

• Advertisement

I think you and I have the same lecture. there seems to be one person there who one day will cough up a lung onto the person in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

People who don't clear away their crap from the Common room/Canteen. The bins are there for a reason, you yucky, yucky people :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Had to get up and leave a lecture today* because of two ignorami who couldn't just go and get a tissue.

Oh no, they spent the entire time sniffing their mucus up their nose, coughing it out of their throat and generally being ver ver unpleasant.

*may seem a bit of an over-reaction but was as green as the contents of their noses and had to get out of there. Other people's mucus sets off my gag reflex somethin' awful. :(
    wouldn't you just move to a different seat? Agreed though that is very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Would you not be tempted just to say that? It'd be quite unlike me not to say that. Disease isn't fun and you don't want it. (well, except for sometimes, look how cuddly they are)

Its week 3, and I'm finally able to post again on boards!!
    **Big thanks to the boards.ie team who sorted out the mess that was surrounded my password being reset**

Week 1: A lecturer saying you have 6 days to submit an assignment worth 15% of the final grade is bordering on the sadistic! Especially when its on a topic you have never seen before, and find extremely soul destroying.

Week 1: Classmates asking you to change tutorial times for the following day, when they've had the timetable for 4 weeks [as the course director emailed it to us on the 4th January] I could have had it sorted before we came back and we under pressure with projects from the outset! :mad:

Week 2: Being asked to change lecture times, despite that being quite a ridiculous request considering the packed 3 days a week we have...urgh!

Now Week 3: Having a thesis proposal to work on alongside 5 modules all of which require a bucketload of time themselves...

Not having a clue what area I want to concentrate on for my thesis is the worst aspect, and also knowing that my thesis is 4 times the workcount of the Marketing Masters!! Thats effing ridiculous!!

/end rant

there was a beggar with a crutch behind the student centre on the way out. hasling people for change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don was out looking for money for his house was he? :p

cson wrote: »
    Don was out looking for money for his house was he? :p

nah it was one of those ones you see in town who come right up to you asking for change. non-irish woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Mossin wrote: »
    Its week 3, and I'm finally able to post again on boards!!
    **Big thanks to the boards.ie team who sorted out the mess that was surrounded my password being reset**

Week 1: A lecturer saying you have 6 days to submit an assignment worth 15% of the final grade is bordering on the sadistic! Especially when its on a topic you have never seen before, and find extremely soul destroying.

Week 1: Classmates asking you to change tutorial times for the following day, when they've had the timetable for 4 weeks [as the course director emailed it to us on the 4th January] I could have had it sorted before we came back and we under pressure with projects from the outset! :mad:

Week 2: Being asked to change lecture times, despite that being quite a ridiculous request considering the packed 3 days a week we have...urgh!

Now Week 3: Having a thesis proposal to work on alongside 5 modules all of which require a bucketload of time themselves...

Not having a clue what area I want to concentrate on for my thesis is the worst aspect, and also knowing that my thesis is 4 times the workcount of the Marketing Masters!! Thats effing ridiculous!!

/end rant

Get over it. This sounds perfectly managable the me. When you get into the real world, you will see what work is.

Man up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

NickDrake wrote: »
    Get over it. This sounds perfectly managable the me. When you get into the real world, you will see what work is.

Man up!!

Can't disagree there. Wait until you get a real job and have to do six hours unpaid for work you'll most definitely find "soul destroying".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Man up!!
    mrmanire wrote: »
    Can't disagree there. Wait until you get a real job and have to do six hours unpaid for work you'll most definitely find "soul destroying".

And they're back.

Man up!!

This is the official bItch thread, so why dont you two stfu!

I am not in the "working" world, but believe me I am in the "real" world.

Here there are specific deadlines to be met, with all the work being my responsibility and the less effort I put in only harms my own qualifications, whereas in the "working" world, I'd more than likely be harming a business if I didnt put in a lot of good work.

Most people have done unpaid work, so why dont you "man up" and just get on with it!

Also, have either of you two got a masters qualification? I'm just curious as to whether you have any clue as to the amount of work required to get a 1:1 in a taught masters...the way you are complaining about having a real job suggests that you dont...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Man up!!

Did you spot the thread title by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Did you spot the thread title by any chance?
    How very true, with all this talk of the "real world" they sound like two geriatrics who lecture on "how life was harder in my day"

This is the official bItch thread, so why dont you two stfu!

I am not in the "working" world, but believe me I am in the "real" world.

Here there are specific deadlines to be met, with all the work being my responsibility and the less effort I put in only harms my own qualifications, whereas in the "working" world, I'd more than likely be harming a business if I didnt put in a lot of good work.

Most people have done unpaid work, so why dont you "man up" and just get on with it!

Also, have either of you two got a masters qualification? I'm just curious as to whether you have any clue as to the amount of work required to get a 1:1 in a taught masters...the way you are complaining about having a real job suggests that you dont...

Oh look at you and your masters. In fact I have 2 degrees and a Masters. All from UL. And one of the degrees is in law and masters is in law so I guess I know what hard work is. The hours and hours I spent in the library would have you crying. My classmates were the same. Law is crazy difficult and competitive.

I just don't see why you would come on a forum and complain about a workload, which to me, looks tough but manageable. Just get on with it. We have all been there.

I am going to hazard a guess the Masters is something in the History politics social studies area??

As I am here. My housemate wants to add that he did a Masters in UL. He actually slept his way through it and handed the thesis in a YEAR late and still managed a good 2.1.

He just got on with it come exam time and didn't complain.

It really is perfectly manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

General ****e

For the amount of bitching your doing in the "real working world" it would lead me to believe you had your head up your arse when you were younger and chose the wrong career...... not difficult to do but you seem to have trouble managing it!!

The fact that you seem to live on this forum and your not even here anymore is a little, sorry, majorly sad!!!

You've already spent at least 9 years "out of the world of work". Stop trying to live in your past and get on living your own life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The whole purpose of this thread to bitch freely, it's not appropriate to chastise anyone for complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

I just don't see why you would come on a forum and complain about a workload, which to me, looks tough but manageable.

Er, maybe because it's a thread for complaining? Just a thought. ;)

• Advertisement

As I am here. My housemate wants to add that he did a Masters in UL. He actually slept his way through it and handed the thesis in a YEAR late and still managed a good 2.1.

Well...maybe Mossin isn't a lazy ass and actually wants to get a good grade out of this.

I actually remember that Drake. I I actually know another lad who referenced Championship Manager as part of his FYP for HPSS. Bad enough but the title was based on GAA. HPSS, some course.

Not going to knock an arts masters but it's not the hardest of courses. Compare it to doing a MAcc. No competition. Also, trust me; I'm very happy with my job and it's pretty prestigious as a matter of fact.

I like this bitching.

Oh look at you and your masters. In fact I have 2 degrees and a Masters. All from UL. And one of the degrees is in law and masters is in law so I guess I know what hard work is. The hours and hours I spent in the library would have you crying. My classmates were the same. Law is crazy difficult and competitive.

I just don't see why you would come on a forum and complain about a workload, which to me, looks tough but manageable. Just get on with it. We have all been there.

I am going to hazard a guess the Masters is something in the History politics social studies area??

Congrats on having 2 degrees and a masters...in less than a year, I'll have my third qualification also, and none of them in HPSS as you somewhat ignorantly suggest [I say ignorantly, because I gave a detailed description of mt masters to another poster in a different thread, adn those who regularly post here know that]..

I came on to complain on a thread entitled "Official bitch about daily life in UL"...I wonder why I complained...sometimes its good to vent your frustrations..I assume that you can understand that much at least right?! :rolleyes:

Also, trust me; I'm very happy with my job and it's pretty prestigious as a matter of fact.

Really? Doesnt seem like it here:
    Wait until you get a real job and have to do six hours unpaid for work you'll most definitely find "soul destroying".

Really? Doesnt seem like it here:

Old job. Sometimes you have to get **** experience in a dodgy job to get a good one.

There you go; nice an explained. Sorry though; I can't claim three degrees like the rest of you...

Are ye ever going to leave college?

Old job. Sometimes you have to get **** experience in a dodgy job to get a good one.

There you go; nice an explained. Sorry though; I can't claim three degrees like the rest of you...

Are ye ever going to leave college?

You should be clearer with your statements ;)

I never claimed 3 degrees, I said I'll have 3 qualifications [not the same thing], and perhaps I shall never leave college - perhaps I'll even consider lecturing...I'm young enough still, and I've worked for long enough as well, and I know that I'd rather be in college than working full-time, and thats for sure!

• Advertisement

You should be clearer with your statements ;)

I never claimed 3 degrees, I said I'll have 3 qualifications [not the same thing], and perhaps I shall never leave college - perhaps I'll even consider lecturing...I'm young enough still, and I've worked for long enough as well, and I know that I'd rather be in college than working full-time, and thats for sure!

Ah I can't knock that in fairness. I had my fill of UL after 4 years of the place but everyone to their own sure. I'm going to assume this third qualification is going to be a Phd so or maybe a professional qualification.

Glad to be away from UL to be honest. I love the place but would be doing some bitching on this thread if I was still there!

DJCR wrote: »
    For the amount of bitching your doing in the "real working world" it would lead me to believe you had your head up your arse when you were younger and chose the wrong career...... not difficult to do but you seem to have trouble managing it!!

The fact that you seem to live on this forum and your not even here anymore is a little, sorry, majorly sad!!!

You've already spent at least 9 years "out of the world of work". Stop trying to live in your past and get on living your own life!!

bull**** . I took me 7 years to achieve what I did. I also worked my whole way through it.

Well...maybe Mossin isn't a lazy ass and actually wants to get a good grade out of this.

2.1 isn't a good grade? Are you set for a 1.1?

bull**** . I took me 7 years to achieve what I did. I also worked my whole way through it.

Jesus, anger.

2.1 isn't a good grade? Are you set for a 1.1?

He probably would have gotten higher if he got off his ass and did some work, in fairness. :rolleyes:

And you sit here bitching to hard working students who are, understandably, feeling the pressure and having a little vent.

Once Mossin gets his Masters, with what I'm sure will be a glowing result, he will be able to look back on it and be proud of all the hard work he put into it.

Do you think your friend might regret not putting in the effort, and wasting that year, where he might have been able to finish up his education and getting a job? Who knows what opportunities may have passed him by by slacking off.

As for your very drole, sarcastic comment about my aspirations, I'm a 2nd Year Business student, my workload is no-where near as bad as Mossin's yet. I'll still have my vent, or I dunno... "bitch about daily life in UL" as many others here will.

I will then get down to work, do my best to reach my goals in life, which are clearly more focussed than your friend's were.

There's a Ranting and Raving forum by the way, would you like to go and tell them to put up and shut up aswell?

*sigh* I feel better after that :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement