Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Umbrella Chairs!

That's it.
    Fúck college.
    I'm becoming an entrepreneur.

Also Post 7000!
    A fitting tribute to it I think... :P

Too bad it's not over NINE THOUSAND! *pleaseletsomeoneelsegetthisreferencesoidontseemasweird*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Looks like someone's just showing off his manky shoes... :P
    Must be impervious to his own aroma.

Must be! It's so nasty. Even with all the windows open we can't get rid of the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

iLaura wrote: »
    Too bad it's not over NINE THOUSAND! *pleaseletsomeoneelsegetthisreferencesoidontseemasweird*

I actually thought before I wrote it..
    What's that number now over.. awh it's 9000...
    Surely 9001 would be desired post then :P
    Must be! It's so nasty. Even with all the windows open we can't get rid of the smell.

Might just be a díck as well...
    Píssing everyone off for shíts and giggles.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

So much to learn. So little time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

This thread is really living up to it's name today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

I just found this job advertisement very interesting.

http://www.universityvacancies.com/u...-required-2422

the rate of pay is €92.50 in the University of Limerick for a Problem Based Learning Tutor in the Graduate Entry Medical School.

The only requirement for the above job advertisement is to have a medical degree.

The standard rate of pay for a junior doctor in his first year post graduating from college is €15.31 per hour.

This is an incredulous example of waste in the Irish University setting.

Lecturers with PhDs would not be on this level of money.

This is an insane rate of pay. this is what our taxes are paying for.

What does a PBL tutor even do. My understanding was they don't teach anything and merely facilitate the session.

It's week 1 of exams and my neighbours are having a house party :confused::confused:

It's week 1 of exams and my neighbours are having a house party :confused::confused:

First year arts? :P

iLaura wrote: »
    First year arts? :P

Arts is actually hard haha. some of them are second year science teaching or some science I think

Arts is actually hard haha. some of them are second year science teaching or some science I think

Haha, as a science teacher I can tell you they only had one exam this semester due to TP, and that exam is probably over :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Any seats in the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Is there any penalty to missing an exam other than obviously getting 0%?
    Will there be any problem with me repeating it in August if I miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Any seats in the library?
    Loads free today :)

Is there any penalty to missing an exam other than obviously getting 0%?
    Will there be any problem with me repeating it in August if I miss it?

Not that I know of. You'll be capped at a C3 though, unless you happen to get an I grade in it. Some lecturers will allow you to sit a different exam paper on a day that suits though, if there's a good reason as to why you can't make the actual exam.

Any free seats in the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Any free seats in the library?

A few scattered about

sup_dude wrote: »
    A few scattered about

Ok thanks :) I don't need a plug so some of the ones with out plugs should be free so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I do wish people would say 'sockets' instead of plugs. You have the plug, the desk has the socket.

I do wish people would say 'sockets' instead of plugs. You have the plug, the desk has the socket.

Did you understand what they meant? Yes? Isn't that how communication works? Does it really matter then so? http://rs246.pbsrc.com/albums/gg105/SCSone/Untitled12.gif~c200

• Advertisement

I understood, but it's the incorrect word to use. Why use the wrong word when one can just use the right one?

Christ don't go to America then...
    They've a whole new language invented under the guise of English...

I understood, but it's the incorrect word to use. Why use the wrong word when one can just use the right one?

Same reason why people say they've a compensating pass when its a compensating fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

*dramatic trailer voice*
    In a world where "literally" means "figuratively"...
    Where "aluminium" is pronounced as "a-loo-min-um"...
    And where "lol" means "I found that mildly amusing"...
    One man is on a mission to right these wrongs...
    One man, on a quest for grammatical correctness...
    deaddonkey15 in...
    THE GRAMMAR POLICE
    This time, he's, literally, lost for words...

Cinemas June 1st.
    This movie has not yet been rated.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    *dramatic trailer voice*
    deaddonkey15 in...
    THE GRAMMAR POLICE

Cinemas June 1st.

0/10, would not recommend.

I actually appreciate the correct use of English. However, every single correction I got back from my supervisor focused on little things like putting in comas or rephrasing a perfectly usable word, instead of what's actually in the documents. It drove me mad, especially when they didn't make sense. So much so that I would get corrections back, and then have to stop working for a few hours because I'd be too annoyed to continue. I'm still quite touchy about Grammar Nazis.

Did I mention it also stars Liam Neeson?

"If you don't learn to use a semi-colon correctly, I will find you, and I will kill you!"

• Advertisement

I actually appreciate the correct use of English. However, every single correction I got back from my supervisor focused on little things like putting in comas or rephrasing a perfectly usable word, instead of what's actually in the documents. It drove me mad, especially when they didn't make sense. So much so that I would get corrections back, and then have to stop working for a few hours because I'd be too annoyed to continue. I'm still quite touchy about Grammar Nazis.

Except I wasn't correcting little things like comas (which are quite important to someone who really does appreciate the correct use of English), I was pointing out that the word plug is simply incorrect. It's like calling a keyhole a key.

Except I wasn't correcting little things like comas (which are quite important to someone who really does appreciate the correct use of English), I was pointing out that the word plug is simply incorrect. It's like calling a keyhole a key.

Re-read last sentence :P

*dramatic trailer voice*
    deaddonkey15 in...
    THE GRAMMAR POLICE

Cinemas June 1st.

Branching out into Cinematography are we?
    And releasing it on my birthday no less! :P

On the topic though, I spot mistakes all the time, I could be an excellent Grammar Nazi, the problem is you have to be on your guard the whole time, as every post you make will be dissected for errors, spelling and grammatical.
    I personally don't have willpower to keep it up though as I frequently make mistakes, I'm human :)
    I do like when other people declare mistakes and make one of their own though... (Missing an 'm' in comma) and in relation to varying importance of English; Comma's can be the difference between life and death in writing, I don't think anyone's come to much harm using plug instead of socket when announcing he doesn't need one.

This of course could all be procrastination from studying for exams in which case I'd be relieved as such a dislike between the mix up of plug and socket sounds unhealthy..

With these mad camera skillz, how could I not? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

And releasing it on my birthday no less! :P

On the topic though, I spot mistakes all the time, I could be an excellent Grammar Nazi, the problem is you have to be on your guard the whole time, as every post you make will be dissected for errors, spelling and grammatical.
    I personally don't have willpower to keep it up though as I frequently make mistakes, I'm human :)
    I do like when other people declare mistakes and make one of their own though... (Missing an 'm' in comma) and in relation to varying importance of English; Comma's can be the difference between life and death in writing, I don't think anyone's come to much harm using plug instead of socket when announcing he doesn't need one.

This of course could all be procrastination from studying for exams in which case I'd be relieved as such a dislike between the mix up of plug and socket sounds unhealthy..

That should be "Commas". Might be useful to stick one of those after "exams" in last paragraph above too...;)

• Advertisement

With these mad camera skillz, how could I not? :P

Your skills are being wasted in radio!

I'm making no real effort to ensure my spelling and grammar is correct, my point is why do people consistently use an incorrect word? What ye are all referring to is called a socket. It's not a plug and never will be.

I'm making no real effort to ensure my spelling and grammar is correct, my point is why do people consistently use an incorrect word? What ye are all referring to is called a socket. It's not a plug and never will be.

Plug. Plug. Plug. Every time I'm looking for a "socket" from now on, I'm gonna call it plug and bold it and underline it. Maybe even put it in italics. Might increase the size too.

Plug. Plug. Plug. Every time I'm looking for a "socket" from now on, I'm gonna call it plug and bold it and underline it. Maybe even put it in italics. Might increase the size too.

I wouldnt really mind it but I always call it a plug. Its a 'plug socket', shortened to plug :P

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

It will always be a plug to me! Really wish I was in the stables tonight :(

Midkemia wrote: »
    It will always be a plug to me! Really wish I was in the stables tonight :(

I wish I was in Limerick in general. Unfortunately have to work tomorrow :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Going to the library on a Sunday just doesnt feel right.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Going to the library on a Sunday just doesnt feel right.

You get used to it :P

Awkward moment when you think sitting beside a Boardsie in the library... and they don't even realise and you're not sure...

• Advertisement

Awkward moment when you think sitting beside a Boardsie in the library... and they don't even realise and you're not sure...

I'd love to sit beside one of ye in the library, happen to catch ye posting, and then just message you and be like "Look to your left/right...", and then say hi :P

I was sitting beside a boards guy last week, but he want on the UL side of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What can I do about getting an I-grade? I'm absolutely fúcked with this headache, high temperature and upset. Have an exam tomorrow and I couldn't revise at all today.

If you think you're going to miss an exam notify them as soon as possible.
    Be in there instantly with the doctors cert to lecturer and doctors as well.
    I missed an exam due to illness. Had a doctors cert but couldn't make it into Limerick. Tried to apply for I grade and they said I'd missed deadline. Had to pay cost of repeat and grade got capped at C3. Sickened.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What can I do about getting an I-grade? I'm absolutely fúcked with this headache, high temperature and upset. Have an exam tomorrow and I couldn't revise at all today.

Ring the health centre first thing in the morning I would presume, and tell them you're just as sick, even if you're not. I would assume then you'd have to go to the doctor and he'd give you a cert

On a bitching note...
    This happened during the week and was so angry about it at the time but forgot to post.

Firstly, two people coming to fix the roof of my bathroom ceiling that were supposed to fix it early April called to my apartment. It was about 10 o clock and I was after getting no sleep the night before so was passed out at 10.
    Anyway they buzzed once. I woke, realised there was someone at the door and I'm fully sure, set a record for time took to get dressed, go down stairs and talk to someone in your 4th best language. Quite a specific record but think it's mine.. About 13 seconds.. :P
    Anyway I let them in, still 3/4 asleep and they started talking to me. Now I know very little Italian but managed to piece together what they wanted to do and a minute later I was carrying stuff out of the bathroom. Once that was done I went back upstairs and said may as well pack up my stuff and head to library, make use of the opportunity as I'm never up at that time.
    There was something I needed from bathroom though so I'd to wait til they were gone. Took them about an hour and they left the place in an okay state. There was dust here and there and they did leave all stuff outside of bathroom but all in all not too bad.
    They said they'd be back on Monday (tomorrow) to finish it off.
    Now I did go to library about 12ish and there wasn't a single seat available so I went clothes shopping. I needed a jacket.
    So a jacket, 3 polo shirts, some shorts and 4 pairs of socks later, I went home. I started to put things back in bathroom again, bins and TP holder and bottles and stuff when I realised my hand towel/ face cloth was soaking wet.
    I thought that's odd, I definitely didn't do. Then I picked it up and opened it out and loads of little pieces of plaster fell out of it.
    Filthy bastards used my face cloth to clean the bathroom floor after they scraped moulding plaster off roof and replastered it.

I was livid at the time. The audacity to see something in the cabinet of our bathroom and think, that'll do the job and use it and leave it there.
    They didn't announce they were leaving or anything, understand why now...

Back again tomorrow, wondering will I leave them be or let bygones be bygones. Chances are they won't understand me but they should know it's out of order.

After tomorrow's exam my exams get a lot harder but I'm far more prepared for my harder exams!

After tomorrow's exam my exams get a lot harder but I'm far more prepared for my harder exams!

My next exam isnt till Saturday. Its such a balls. I hate having this much time between exams -.-

Anyone in Groody make sure ye have ye're doors locked there's kids on bikes cycling around looking all around them

They tried to steal my bike and moved it from where I had it and then they found out its completely broken HAHAHAHA

• Advertisement

They tried to steal my bike and moved it from where I had it and then they found out its completely broken HAHAHAHA

Yeah, I saw then skulking around trying to get in through the gates behind people earlier, so when I was going back in from the shop I just left enough room for me to go by and he started cursing at me :P
    The bástards managed to steal my bike last year but couldnt get the lock off properly and gave up and threw it into Bru na Grudan after bending the rim of the back tire into shíte

Advertisement