Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Think it's a study month kinda thing here, similar to UCC.
    Hate to have to do exams UCC style though.
    All exams from both semesters at end of year.
    I struggle with 4/5 I have.. :P

They've moved over to the UL way of things with both Christmas and Summer exams now, as far as I can remember, and no study month. I'm open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Was a couple of years ago I was told that.
    Just thought it was a crazy set up.
    Added difficulty for the sake and I bet end of year was hectic.
    Shocked it went going for so long if it has been changed. One of top universities in Ireland to be using such a flawed procedure was a little worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Is the students union open on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TheGunns wrote: »
    Is the students union open on Saturday?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I detest everyone currently done. By this time tomorrow hopefully I can't even remember my own name :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Anyone know what the story is with all the teddy bears downstairs in CSIS?

There are teddybears in CSIS? Great, something to set fire to tomorrow.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have to leave my house by the end of the week, just got told about that today. A few packages need to be delivered to the house though, and I have no idea when they'll come.

Got an (overdue) email from a lecturer yesterday, showing inexplicably low grades for group projects....

I had a seriously good job offer, which I was scouted out for, and had given my details to the company well in advance to arrange an interview. I emailed a few times to ask why they hadn't contacted me, supplying my info multiple times. I finally got an email back today telling me that the interviews were yesterday, and that the post had been filled.

Certain departments in UL seem to be refusing to email me back about things as well.

And last week, I had to go and get an I-grade referral after s#i++ing myself for five days, in a subject I was headed for an A1 in!

But let's put this aaaalllllll in perspective......

(I may be revealing my identity IRL to some people by saying this.)

There are fourteen days left until my glorious reign of terror officially begins, and I can abuse the massive amounts of imaginary power granted to me by UL. There is no turning back now, my candidacy was "uncontested" because I got the other guy to "quit."

*sigh* It might just be another hassle I've signed up for.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

The library wont be busy tomorrow will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Nah it won't... Seems to be much quieter than last year in general... Shouldn't be a problem getting a spot

I've a couple of exams left and my writing hand can't hold a pen properly anymore! :eek:

Study is not going well at all today! Seeing everyone outside leaving for home is making it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Study is not going well at all today! Seeing everyone outside leaving for home is making it worse.

I stayed at home (usually never ever works for me as I get nothing done), but have had a small bit of work completed.

I've an exam at 4pm tomorrow. Am I better off staying up later and getting up later, relaxed, for the exam. Or bed early, get up and start studying again?

I don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards staying up and just keeping at it as I've a bit of momentum built up today.

Daniel S wrote: »
    I stayed at home (usually never ever works for me as I get nothing done), but have had a small bit of work completed.

I've an exam at 4pm tomorrow. Am I better off staying up later and getting up later, relaxed, for the exam. Or bed early, get up and start studying again?

I don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards staying up and just keeping at it as I've a bit of momentum built up today.

Id go to bed early and get up early. I'm going to sleep in a few minutes and getting up at 11 tonight and studying until the exam because I didn't get as much as I wanted to done :(

Daniel S wrote: »

Personally I find that if I just take the night off and relax, and then get up at maybe 9, in the library for 10 and then study till your exam it'll work better than studying tonight (when your head is fried from looking at the stuff all day), or getting up too early to study. Remember, if you start studying at 8am, you'll be doing the same stuff for 10 hours, assuming you'd stay in the exam for 2 hours. You'll just get sick of it and won't put in enough effort.

My plan of sleeping isn't working. I feel so sick and I've still so much to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Behind myself...
    Do this every time.
    I think I can read a lot faster than I actually can.
    I assume I can read and understand technical writing the same as I can a novel and it must take 10 times longer.
    Can read novels hours at a time without break.
    This stuff it takes me about 40 mins to get through 2/3 a4 pages and I'd have to have a break after because anything read beyond that I just don't process.
    Tested it today after reading same sentence for the third time I still didn't understand it.
    Got my water and went for a walk or to smoking area. Just for some fresh(ish) air...
    Have a lot of reading to do and first exam is on 21st

Always knew exam was on 20 something th of May. Nothing worse than finding out its the first. Realise how little time you have.
    AND on top of that, I haven't slept right for last 3 weeks.
    Been awake til 6/7 80% of last 3 weeks. Just cannot sleep. Think it's the heat and pollen ruins me as well.
    Doesn't happen to me often but not feeling great at all.
    That said hopefully just a few more weeks of graft and exams should be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So the key broke in my bike lock today, anything I can do about that? Where is the security office? I'll need to get the lock cut off, but don't have anything to cut it and I don't want to look like I'm stealing it. Already felt awkward spending 15mins trying to open it with the key before it broke.

If it's a really bad bike it should be grand because that happened to someone I know and she was like if I was going to steal a bike I wouldn't pick this one and then they cut it free for her.

Do you've any pictures with you and the bike?

I'm sure it shouldn't be a big problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If it's a really bad bike it should be grand because that happened to someone I know and she was like if I was going to steal a bike I wouldn't pick this one and then they cut it free for her.

Do you've any pictures with you and the bike?

I'm sure it shouldn't be a big problem :)

It's not the best bike, only bought it second hand for 80euro to get me through the year. I'd almost consider leaving it there, but I'll at least attempt to get it back before I do that.

Don't have any pictures nope, was hoping they'd be able to look at the cameras and see me putting it there. I have half the the key still, and part of it is still stuck in the lock so that might be a bit of proof.

It's not the best bike, only bought it second hand for 80euro to get me through the year. I'd almost consider leaving it there, but I'll at least attempt to get it back before I do that.

Don't have any pictures nope, was hoping they'd be able to look at the cameras and see me putting it there. I have half the the key still, and part of it is still stuck in the lock so that might be a bit of proof.

Yeah that should definitely be enough :D

I suppose taking pictures of you and your bike isn't exactly a common hobby haha I don't have any of mine :P

When do exams finish altogether?

• Advertisement

When do exams finish altogether?

'Normal' exams finish today after the last 4pm exam. The GEMS exams haven't started yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Fees office emailed me again today, having not replied to my last email so I rang them. Apparently, they've misplaced the grant confirmation letter than I gave them at the start of the year (as I do every year). However, do you think they're accepting blame? Not one bit, they've put everything on me, as I've "obviously never gave them anything". I've seldom talked to such rude, condescending people who decide to just talk over you the whole time. So now I've to somehow get a confirmation letter to them from Donegal before the 30th and I do believe it has to be stamped by the SAA... I'm still fuming with them...

sup_dude wrote: »
    Fees office emailed me again today, having not replied to my last email so I rang them. Apparently, they've misplaced the grant confirmation letter than I gave them at the start of the year (as I do every year). However, do you think they're accepting blame? Not one bit, they've put everything on me, as I've "obviously never gave them anything". I've seldom talked to such rude, condescending people who decide to just talk over you the whole time. So now I've to somehow get a confirmation letter to them from Donegal before the 30th and I do believe it has to be stamped by the SAA... I'm still fuming with them...

And the fees office's inability to properly deal with anything like this (eg the people last year who got emails about not paying fees when they had, and people who didnt pay fees graduating) is the reason why I always photocopy any SUSI correspondance and proof of being registered from the SAA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

iLaura wrote: »
    And the fees office's inability to properly deal with anything like this (eg the people last year who got emails about not paying fees when they had, and people who didnt pay fees graduating) is the reason why I always photocopy any SUSI correspondance and proof of being registered from the SAA

Mine is from the CoCo so I usually don't have to deal much with it except sending the confirmation letter in so I usually don't bother. I've no idea what I'm supposed to do now though, so I'm ringing the CoCo tomorrow too see if they can send one directly to UL. Otherwise, I'm going to have to drive to the other side of the county to get it, then drive the whole way to Limerick and back in the one day just to hand them a stupid letter that they shouldn't have lost in the first place... Oh wait, no, sorry, my mistake, a letter they couldn't possibly have ever lost as organised as they are, and one I clear never handed in in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

sup_dude wrote: »
    Mine is from the CoCo so I usually don't have to deal much with it except sending the confirmation letter in so I usually don't bother. I've no idea what I'm supposed to do now though, so I'm ringing the CoCo tomorrow too see if they can send one directly to UL. Otherwise, I'm going to have to drive to the other side of the county to get it, then drive the whole way to Limerick and back in the one day just to hand them a stupid letter that they shouldn't have lost in the first place... Oh wait, no, sorry, my mistake, a letter they couldn't possibly have ever lost as organised as they are, and one I clear never handed in in the first place.

I don't give the fees office a letter from the CoCo, I just forward the email the CoCo send that confirms they're paying my fees.

No stamp, no letter, no visit to the fees office necessary. That has worked for me the past 2 years. I'm surprised (but then again I'm not surprised) that the fees office never suggested this option.

Is it true that you know in advance if you failed an exam because they send out a letter about repeats before the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

No, they stopped that a few years ago. Now you either get that letter on the day results are out, or a few days after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Not the right place to put this but anyone looking into going to the grad ball:

Are there just Afters tickets? I don't fancy paying a full 50 for everything.. Just want to go for a last laugh with friends.
    I've e-mailed Tommy but got nothing back and my friend e-mailed the hotel but nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I find it hard to believe that there isnt a proper scanner available in UL -_-

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that there isnt a proper scanner available in UL -_-

I assume you tried use the ones in the library?

Advertisement