Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

ricimaki wrote: »
    If that's Engineering Maths 2, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I got a D2 in that back in first year. First year QCA only really effects your Co-op interviews, and you start second year with your QCA reset, so it won't effect your final degree. I had similar results to yourself, and still got Co-op with a very good company.

Companies interviewing tend to focus more on the subjects relating directly to your degree, and the interview itself, than the background modules(in the case of electronic engineering, anyway).

Engineering Maths 1. Not doing an Engineering degree though! So disappointed. Got a really good midterm and than people would flat out failed did much better than me here despite working hard and it feels as if it has all fallen apart haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Hey lads confused and in need of advice 2nd year business student here.

I got a qca of 3.2 which im delighted with but my worst grade is in my chosen major subject, which was a C3 in economics. Last year I only got As in economics so I dont know whether or not to change my major now because im aware if i continue with this it could mess up my qca in the future if i dont improve. To make matters worse im going on erasmus and ive a load of economics modules picked :P

To mess with my head more i really dislike all the others majors but i consistently get As and Bs in them, now my attendance was terrible last semester but im hoping to never be that bad again and to never live in college court again.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Troxck wrote: »
    Engineering Maths 1. Not doing an Engineering degree though! So disappointed. Got a really good midterm and than people would flat out failed did much better than me here despite working hard and it feels as if it has all fallen apart haha.

Are you doing applied physics?

As far as the engineering maths goes (and not to try scare you), it gets a lot harder according to my friends who did it. Saying that its very doable when you put in the effort and hard work.

That seems to be the problem with a lot of 1st years I find, especially from my own experience. Cruise along in secondary school and then get a massive kick up the arse in college when you realise that you dont know how to study effectively

iLaura wrote: »

As far as the engineering maths goes (and not to try scare you), it gets a lot harder according to my friends who did it. Saying that its very doable when you put in the effort and hard work.

That seems to be the problem with a lot of 1st years I find, especially from my own experience. Cruise along in secondary school and then get a massive kick up the arse in college when you realise that you dont know how to study effectively

I am yeah. I know it gets very hard. I studied for it and yet failed. That's why I'm considering dropping out. It'll save a lot of hardship when I'm clearly not in the right degree.

I am yeah. I know it gets very hard. I studied for it and yet failed. That's why I'm considering dropping out. It'll save a lot of hardship when I'm clearly not in the right degree.

A lot of what people do when 'studying' isnt effective studying.

How did you do in chemistry and your other physics modules like mechanics?
    I wouldnt drop out after the first semester, I'd say give next semster your best shot and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Nope, Engineering Maths! From what I heard about my course is if you do badly now you're essentially fúcked.

How much does a D1 bring your QCA down btw? I got Bs in 3 and a C1

Yeah engineering maths is harder again so I've been told. A D1 is 1.6 I believe. You'd have to add up and average other grades to check.

See:
    https://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Student%20Information/Results%20Information/QCA%20Calculation

based on a quick calc even if all your bs are b3s you're still at 2.52 which is respectable. Based on that QCA you have the option to repeat the D1 but it's not mandatory. If your QCA was less than 2.0 including the D1 then it would be a mandatory repeat in August. You're doing well for a first year in this faculty though. It will stand to you during coop interviews if you do stick it out. I know lads who are in 4th year with a 2.2ish QCA and one of them even got an unreal coop in Dublin (although he was doing modules till april!) and cleared 9 grand in the 5 months!

I know it mightent seem like much but you didn't straight fail, you got a compensatory fail. A fail (F) could mean you got 10% but a compensatory fail (D1) could mean you got 39% or even 44% in the case of some modules. Unless you view the script you won't know.

You're only a few months in its not a complete disaster!

A lot of what people do when 'studying' isnt effective studying.

How did you do in chemistry and your other physics modules like mechanics?
    I wouldnt drop out after the first semester, I'd say give next semster your best shot and see how it goes

Bs in my 2 Physics modules and my Programming module and a C2 in Chem.

I studied mainly Maths and Chem (ignored Physics to an extent since I went to lectures and it was essentially LC stuff) and they were my two worse. I'm not too bothered about a C in Chem because I never covered the material before.

I know it sounds like I'm over reacting and I appreciate the replies but I really don't understand my Maths grad, I had about 18% going in so that means I got less than 22% and I thought I did rather well.

I'll view my script (is this free to do?) and possibly do a recheck (€25 is hefty enougn). I'll head into the SAA when I go back.

Sorry about the annoying posts but nothing has really gone right for me since College started. I really do appreciate ye all replying, I really do!

I studied mainly Maths and Chem (ignored Physics to an extent since I went to lectures and it was essentially LC stuff) and they were my two worse. I'm not too bothered about a C in Chem because I never covered the material before.

I know it sounds like I'm over reacting and I appreciate the replies but I really don't understand my Maths grad, I had about 18% going in so that means I got less than 22% and I thought I did rather well.

I'll view my script (is this free to do?) and possibly do a recheck (€25 is hefty enougn). I'll head into the SAA when I go back.

Sorry about the annoying posts but nothing has really gone right for me since College started. I really do appreciate ye all replying, I really do!

Were you studying during the semester as well?

Its free to view your script, yeah. Is the midterm definitely included in the final exam?

Viewing the script is free and yeah a recheck costs 25 beans but you get that back if it goes up.

Funny thing is about maths (and indeed most modules in UL) is its marked on a curve. You're marked against everyone in the module rather than between 0 and 100. I remember failing a maths exam and it turned out the D2 percentage was 15% so that'll give you an idea of how terrible I am at maths. I also know somebody who got 40 percent in an assignment and still got a D3 overall so I'm not inclined to believe that you're required to pass the exam to get the practical marks. However I know people who failed the practical side and have been told they will not progress even before any exam. The University of course will deny all idea of a curve but it was a sound maths lecturer that explained this to me.

Also that same lecturer called one of my mates to his office and explained that SAA were disputing his maths grade (A1) because his other grades were very poor (Cs and Ds). They "remarked" his script and he was brought back to a C2. Lecturer told him this was his grade outside of the curve.

• Advertisement

Were you studying during the semester as well?

Its free to view your script, yeah. Is the midterm definitely included in the final exam?

I studied Chemistry and Maths throughout the semester. Did every Tutorial, attended every lab etc.

They said if you got a decent Midterm mark you will have yours included and I assumed because I go higher than the average so I assumed that was okay.

I'll view the script and go from there

I studied Chemistry and Maths throughout the semester. Did every Tutorial, attended every lab etc.

They said if you got a decent Midterm mark you will have yours included and I assumed because I go higher than the average so I assumed that was okay.

I'll view the script and go from there

Do, apply to view it, and dont let your results get you down! You've managed to pass the semester which is something a lot of people dont manage to do.

Do, apply to view it, and dont let your results get you down! You've managed to pass the semester which is something a lot of people dont manage to do.

Hopefully Semester 2 treats me well.

I'm just glad I did well in Physics and Programming since that's where my interests lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Its really only Engineering Maths 3 that is considered hard, 2 is just taught badly but the content is very doable if you put in the effort, 4 is definitely the easiest of the lot (statistics and probability)

Definitely view the script, might even be a case of the lecturer adding up the marks wrong, it happens!

Ompala wrote: »
    Its really only Engineering Maths 3 that is considered hard, 2 is just taught badly but the content is very doable if you put in the effort, 4 is definitely the easiest of the lot (statistics and probability)

Definitely view the script, might even be a case of the lecturer adding up the marks wrong, it happens!

Do I wait until Monday to contact the SAA or what? Should I email them or do I email the lecturer? I looked at their site and the info wasn't too clear... :o

I probably just did a bad exam, I'll just work harder/smarter next semester :pac:

Do I wait until Monday to contact the SAA or what? Should I email them or do I email the lecturer? I looked at their site and the info wasn't too clear... :o

I probably just did a bad exam, I'll just work harder/smarter next semester :pac:

As far as I remember a general email goes out next week, and then you have to email your department secretary and they'll reply with a time you can view your script at.

Asked a lecturer about feedback/breakdown for the assignment we had to do last semester. I was one mark off going up a letter grade. So tempted to get it rechecked and chance my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Asked a lecturer about feedback/breakdown for the assignment we had to do last semester. I was one mark off going up a letter grade. So tempted to get it rechecked and chance my arm.

Do it. It's only what, €25? I'd happily pay that just so it wouldn't gnaw at me. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Do it. It's only what, €25? I'd happily pay that just so it wouldn't gnaw at me. :P

It'd bring my QCA up by .1 for the semester, so I suppose it'd be worth it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Smarter Travel- Sort yourselves out. I've emailed 3 times since yesterday morning about their bike rent scheme and not one reply. The semesters only 14 weeks long.

• Advertisement

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Smarter Travel- Sort yourselves out. I've emailed 3 times since yesterday morning about their bike rent scheme and not one reply. The semesters only 14 weeks long.

Would you not just have called to the pop up bike shop person today?

Would you not just have called to the pop up bike shop person today?

I did but I'm not interested in buying the bike, is he not doing that off his own back?

I reached them this morning, finally and have my bike sorted :D Looking forward to a shorter time to travel tomorrow :pac:

Anybody having trouble logging into the portal? When I try and log in I get the username/password incorrect... Wanna pay some fees and don't really wanna go all the way into UL

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Anybody having trouble logging into the portal? When I try and log in I get the username/password incorrect... Wanna pay some fees and don't really wanna go all the way into UL

Exact same problem as you, I definitely have the right info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I reached them this morning, finally and have my bike sorted :D Looking forward to a shorter time to travel tomorrow :pac:

Tell me more about this bike scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Good to see work being done down at the Visitor Car Park side of the Stables, makes the place look a lot cleaner.

Also saw a double decker 304 around the last day, heard that Bus Eireann have bought a fleet and are training in the drivers atm. Brilliant news for anyone here who uses the 304 between 4-6 in the evening..space glorious space!

Anyone know what the plans for the new library are? Just wondering if the work going on outside there is in preparation of that or is it just general maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Good to see work being done down at the Visitor Car Park side of the Stables, makes the place look a lot cleaner.

Also saw a double decker 304 around the last day, heard that Bus Eireann have bought a fleet and are training in the drivers atm. Brilliant news for anyone here who uses the 304 between 4-6 in the evening..space glorious space!

Anyone know what the plans for the new library are? Just wondering if the work going on outside there is in preparation of that or is it just general maintenance?

kerryked wrote: »

The work that's currently being done is for the new entrance for the library. Actual construction is meant to start around March roughly from what I've heard, so they obviously don't really care how much of a distraction that will be to students studying in the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The work that's currently being done is for the new entrance for the library. Actual construction is meant to start around March roughly from what I've heard, so they obviously don't really care how much of a distraction that will be to students studying in the library.

I thought I heard somewhere that it was meant to start before Christmas but they didn't want to be a distraction during exams?

I could be totally making that up, but it's in my brain from somewhere that I can't quite place....

Advertisement