Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

iLaura wrote: »
    The work that's currently being done is for the new entrance for the library. Actual construction is meant to start around March roughly from what I've heard, so they obviously don't really care how much of a distraction that will be to students studying in the library.

I suppose it is going to be a fairly large project so there's really no way of avoiding exam times, guess the best we can hope for is that they continue with the least noisy work for the few weeks of the exams..If we're getting a bigger and better library we can't complain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

kerryked wrote: »
    I suppose it is going to be a fairly large project so there's really no way of avoiding exam times, guess the best we can hope for is that they continue with the least noisy work for the few weeks of the exams..If we're getting a bigger and better library we can't complain :P

Oh but you best believe people will. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

If we're getting a bigger and better library we can't complain :P

We can if it happens during what will (hopefully) be our last few weeks in UL. :P

Fourth years will be raging. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

oseia wrote: »
    We can if it happens during what will (hopefully) be our last few weeks in UL. :P

Fourth years will be raging. :o

Can cofirm; am 4th year. Though I've scouted out some nice areas to study in for this semester

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Anyone around campus that has a HP laptop charger that I could borrow for like an hour? Mine's currently sitting over 100km away, just chilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Is SI.ul.ie down ?
    Trying to pre register for my modules but it looks down for me.

Has to be done today and I don't fancy a fine!

What will I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Is SI.ul.ie down ?

What will I do!

Its working fine for me. Maybe try a different computer or browser.

Is SI.ul.ie down ?

What will I do!

Working fine here too, hope you get sorted!

Maybe run down and use the library computers or UL network if you're close by.

Have co-op starting in May, in the business park next to UL so I'm looking for accommodation for the summer and all of next year.

Anyone have an experience/advice on where is best? Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I'm supposed to be on coop since January till September... Me and 12 others in my course still don't have it

• Advertisement

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be on coop since January till September... Me and 12 others in my course still don't have it

Ouch that's rough..what do they in that situation? Keep on interviewing? Or let you find somewhere yourself?

Just out of interest, what course are you doing?

Ouch that's rough..what do they in that situation? Keep on interviewing? Or let you find somewhere yourself?

Just out of interest, what course are you doing?

Industrial biochemistry.

I've spoken to HR managers and directors that I personally know and the general answer is either "my hands are tied we only deal with the college" and "we can't take anyone this year"

I got into the car last week and drove to 8 or nine places and I got the same answers.

Coop office seem to be very chill about it. "Don't worry, we're constantly contacting companies" etc. I asked could I contact one place they sent my CV to and they said "No we will liaise with the company. We have the relationship with them and not the student"

Really starting to feel they've given up on us this year and that UL is just a business at the end of the day

That's very poor from the co-op office really. I know co-op is fantastic and it's great to have it in UL and all the rest, but not when you're the person who misses out on getting a place.

Really hope something turns up for you sooner rather than later. Suppose it would probably be in your own interests to look for a part time job somewhere, if you don't already have one, just to keep yourself going.

That's very poor from the co-op office really. I know co-op is fantastic and it's great to have it in UL and all the rest, but not when you're the person who misses out on getting a place.

Really hope something turns up for you sooner rather than later. Suppose it would probably be in your own interests to look for a part time job somewhere, if you don't already have one, just to keep yourself going.

Working about 26 hours a week in the job I've had for a few years, so I'm not completely stuck. What's annoying is trying to kill time until I have to go to work. I can't complain about that because I'm lucky enough to have it.

What is startling though is the last time I asked she said there were 12 others without placement?! That's 13 people not placed by the end of Feb, in a field that's supposed to be desirable. No communication from them to reassure either... Just "sit tight..."

Went into college today to do an essay for one of the modules I have to do. Asked why modules can't be related to the program and got a bull answer "because you can use this opportunity to diversify your learning" yet at the end of the day the idea of coop is to get experience in your field...

Sorry about the rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

As much fun as charity week is, I'm really annoyed at how loud everything is at the moment and how little my classes are on this week :/

We had a class yesterday in the C1 corridor and it was supposed to be a 3 hour class, which is very important as we have an assignment coming up and it is a Master's class. It was cut short, lasting only 45 minutes because the music and shouting was incredible. This is not the only class that I have heard this happened with.

We pay a lot for our education and as a Masters is only a year long, I really do not appreciate missing out on classes that I feel I need be in all the time. This is fault on the behalf of students, the university and professors... I am annoyed that the professor felt she couldn't go on teaching.. :/

Just one week..Just one week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Aragneer wrote: »
    As much fun as charity week is, I'm really annoyed at how loud everything is at the moment and how little my classes are on this week :/

We had a class yesterday in the C1 corridor and it was supposed to be a 3 hour class, which is very important as we have an assignment coming up and it is a Master's class. It was cut short, lasting only 45 minutes because the music and shouting was incredible. This is not the only class that I have heard this happened with.

We pay a lot for our education and as a Masters is only a year long, I really do not appreciate missing out on classes that I feel I need be in all the time. This is fault on the behalf of students, the university and professors... I am annoyed that the professor felt she couldn't go on teaching.. :/

I remember having an exam in the C1 corridor at the same time that Munster was playing in the Heineken Cup Final. You could hear them all shouting over at the Stables. Some of the heads in the exam room were getting more excited about the match than their exam..lol

YFlyer wrote: »
    I remember having an exam in the C1 corridor at the same time that Munster was playing in the Heineken Cup Final. You could hear them all shouting over at the Stables. Some of the heads in the exam room were getting more excited about the match than their exam..lol

Ha! It wouldn't be difficult to get more excited about something else than the exam though :P

I don't mind the main building and I actually quite like the C1 corridor classes, just wish the courtyard would mind that sometimes!

Wonder what the estates are like this rag week! Ha

Ha! It wouldn't be difficult to get more excited about something else than the exam though :P

I don't mind the main building and I actually quite like the C1 corridor classes, just wish the courtyard would mind that sometimes!

RAG Week can basically be summarised as "A week where 'Shur 'tis RAG Week!' is a totally acceptable excuse for being a complete and utter inconsiderate c*nt to everyone around you."

Don't get me wrong, it apparently raises a lot of money for charity (I've heard conflicting things on this over the years btw, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt), people enjoy it and it's a great stress reliever, but it genuinely bothers me that basically the entire University grinds to a halt to accommodate it, and it amplifies the general dickheadedness of most students living in estates around the place.

Haven't heard of any cars turned over yet...haha

Cois Ghruda was extremely quiet last night. Hopefully it will stay like that. They can party elsewhere.

Haven't heard of any cars turned over yet...haha

Cois Ghruda was extremely quiet last night. Hopefully it will stay like that. They can party elsewhere.

Actually, College Court was really quiet last night too... Twas bad on Sunday night, but last night I basically heard nothing after 1am... I just need to get through tonight and tomorrow night, because I'll be spending Thursday night locked in the SU.

That's "locked" as in with a key, not plastered. :pac:

• Advertisement

I am living in the city now on O'Connell's street so fortunately I am not around the estates to hear or see the state of everything :P

I agree that it is annoying that the university goes out of its way to accommodate this, what I find even more annoying is that UL is now getting ULFest too, which is going to be another week of everything grinding to a halt so students can throw their money at alcohol.

I like partying myself but seriously, I do not like nor do I appreciate everything stopping for it. I am a tutor this year and I am glad I rescheduled classes this week as I know that I would not have been teaching anyone, I would have been too annoyed at the ones that didn't come or did come but were 'locked'. My boyfriend is also a teacher in the uni and he has said he's had drunk students in too!

Ahhhh, good old 'rag' week, this is why it has been banned in all other universities :P

I feel so old complaining abut it hahaha

I thought ULFest was a one day thing?

Man, if I was a lecturer, I'd schedule a midterm for Week 6, just to be a bastard. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

What do you all think of UL overall? Considering a transfer from DCU!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The SU president has asked local off-licences not to sell glass bottle. What?

Jester252 wrote: »
    The SU president has asked local off-licences not to sell glass bottle. What?

TBH, probably just a "Look! We're trying to be responsible!" publicity thing. The sentiment is fine, but realistically futile. What're offies meant to do, tip bottles of wine and naggins into plastic bottles in the shop?

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Man, if I was a lecturer, I'd schedule a midterm for Week 6, just to be a bastard. :P

Oh maybe it is actually...Haha, woops I am poorly informed :P

When I was an undergrad, all my classes had midterms in week 6, ha! If I had the power to set my students assignments, I'd totally do it hahaha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

TBH, probably just a "Look! We're trying to be responsible!" publicity thing. The sentiment is fine, but realistically futile. What're offies meant to do, tip bottles of wine and naggins into plastic bottles in the shop?

I was actually discussing this with a few friends earlier. We all agreed it's futile to come out with it at this stage but if the SU were actually serious about it they could have spoken to off-licences months ago and tried to figure out a solution. I'm not sure what the solution could be but it would've been better to try than come out with a ridiculous statement when everything is already stocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I know a crowd who have a Calculus midterm tomorriw morning and I have a CA Exam tomorrow too along with a 20% assignment done soon.

I like RAG tbh, but some people are taking the p!ss. I go to the Stables during the day for one or two but I saw a lad throwing up in the bathrooms at abiut 2pm which is just ridiculous.

I'm a first year though so my experience and opinions would vary greatly to those doing a Masters or in their final year.

Can heard them outside my gaff now. Envoking the God of thunder now.

• Advertisement

Can heard them outside my gaff now. Envoking the God of thunder now.

There were two people sitting on my windowsill for like 15 minutes arguing about where their friend's house was at 2:30 last night. then some knobheads started pounding on the windows shouting "THIS MUST BE NUMBER 12!" (we're not number 12...). Then every time it started raining, you'd just hear a whole bunch of screams and people running up and down the street.

I'm not going to lie, the bitter part of me was extremely happy while it was raining at the thoughts of all of them getting soaked...

Advertisement