Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

wnolan1992 wrote:
    There were two people sitting on my windowsill for like 15 minutes arguing about where their friend's house was at 2:30 last night. then some knobheads started pounding on the windows shouting "THIS MUST BE NUMBER 12!" (we're not number 12...). Then every time it started raining, you'd just hear a whole bunch of screams and people running up and down the street.

If that was me, I'd put baby powder on my face and hair, put on white clothes, open the curtain/blinds just a little bit, and stare at them without expression until they notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Where did they idea of being pissed for the entirety of RAG week come from? The whole point of it is to raise money for charity, I'd bet that only 25% of the student population will donate anything to charity this week. I suppose it's just a student reaction to see any kind of an event as an excuse to go drinking all week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going out and enjoying yourself with friends but as Troxck said above, when there's lads puking their insides out at 2 in the day surely it's gone too far then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

kerryked wrote: »
    Where did they idea of being pissed for the entirety of RAG week come from? The whole point of it is to raise money for charity, I'd bet that only 25% of the student population will donate anything to charity this week. I suppose it's just a student reaction to see any kind of an event as an excuse to go drinking all week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going out and enjoying yourself with friends but as Troxck said above, when there's lads puking their insides out at 2 in the day surely it's gone too far then?

The thing is the SU insists every year that charity week raises more and more every year for the charities but last year, it took them an age to actually count everything and when they did, there were a lot of conflicting things said about the figures.

Feels like we're not always told the full side of the story and things get covered up in order that charity week continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Looks like they make up the price of a salad sandwich in the library café as they see fit. Have paid for the same type of sandwich from €2.50 to €3.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aragneer wrote: »
    The thing is the SU insists every year that charity week raises more and more every year for the charities but last year, it took them an age to actually count everything and when they did, there were a lot of conflicting things said about the figures.

Feels like we're not always told the full side of the story and things get covered up in order that charity week continues!

When Paul McCutcheon was on about cancelling it last year (or the year before, time has lost all meaning) one of the reasons cited (as far as I remember) was that Charity Week doesn't actually raise that much. That once you take into account the cost of bringing acts to play the courtyard, security, M&M's, staging and the rest, the actual amount that goes to charity is vastly reduced.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the figures quoted every year are the "gross" figures...

I dunno. I like the idea of RAG week, I just can't stand the "Let's drink all day and all night for a week!" attitude anymore (and yeah, I had that attitude myself in first year so I get it, I'm just past it)

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    When Paul McCutcheon was on about cancelling it last year (or the year before, time has lost all meaning) one of the reasons cited (as far as I remember) was that Charity Week doesn't actually raise that much. That once you take into account the cost of bringing acts to play the courtyard, security, M&M's, staging and the rest, the actual amount that goes to charity is vastly reduced.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the figures quoted every year are the "gross" figures...

I dunno. I like the idea of RAG week, I just can't stand the "Let's drink all day and all night for a week!" attitude anymore (and yeah, I had that attitude myself in first year so I get it, I'm just past it)

Ah I never actually heard that discussion from McCutcheon. I normally work the M&M's though so I have heard that when you bring into the cost of everything it doesn't actually work out.

Don't get me wrong - I also like the idea of Rag Week. It is often my favourite time of year on campus because the weather is nice, everyone is cheerful and stress seems to be a million miles away but the drinking during the day is what gets me - especially when you are walking to class and just see people passed out in their own vomit. Plus, the tidying in the estates that comes afterwards isn't great either!

I never had the drink all day and all night attitude though so I'm different.

On another note, anybody see that Limerick got in the news because a fan was being 'abusive' towards Professor Green? Spin were covering the story earlier ha

On another note, anybody see that Limerick got in the news because a fan was being 'abusive' towards Professor Green? Spin were covering the story earlier ha

Saw the videos of it alright, I'd say it was six of one, half of the other to be honest. Professor Green doesn't seem like the most eloquent of folk in fairness, but it probably comes down to the discussion we've been having here.

The 'abusive student' was probably down in the Stables pinting away all day, probably hadn't a clue who Professor Green was, and this morning can't remember calling him w*nker :confused: :rolleyes:

Saw the videos of it alright, I'd say it was six of one, half of the other to be honest. Professor Green doesn't seem like the most eloquent of folk in fairness, but it probably comes down to the discussion we've been having here.

The 'abusive student' was probably down in the Stables pinting away all day, probably hadn't a clue who Professor Green was, and this morning can't remember calling him w*nker :confused: :rolleyes:

That's exactly what it probably was or it was some student being egged on by his/her friends to shout something at him and Professor Green has been known to have a temper so he couldn't handle it.

Of course it will be the student and UL that are defamed for it.

That's exactly what it probably was or it was some student being egged on by his/her friends to shout something at him and Professor Green has been known to have a temper so he couldn't handle it.

Of course it will be the student and UL that are defamed for it.

Quite ironic really that UL's Charity Week is making the news for the wrong reasons today, seeing as the SU President sent out an email yesterday evening (before the concert) urging people to "stay classy" or there'll be no chance of having a ULFest later on in the year.
    I'm sure Mr. McCutcheon won't be too impressed with the negative press today :rolleyes:
    Will be interesting to see if the University follow up on the threat not to hold the festival because of "negative reports from Charity week".

Also, Professor Green tweeted yesterday:

"Absolute madness at Limerick Uni. I’ve been asked not to call it RAG week because of the bad press associated with the term. Whoops"

Jeez he's so funny...

Maybe that student shouting at him was right after all.. ;) :rolleyes:

Quite ironic really that UL's Charity Week is making the news for the wrong reasons today, seeing as the SU President sent out an email yesterday evening (before the concert) urging people to "stay classy" or there'll be no chance of having a ULFest later on in the year.
    I'm sure Mr. McCutcheon won't be too impressed with the negative press today :rolleyes:
    Will be interesting to see if the University follow up on the threat not to hold the festival because of "negative reports from Charity week".

Also, Professor Green tweeted yesterday:

"Absolute madness at Limerick Uni. I’ve been asked not to call it RAG week because of the bad press associated with the term. Whoops"

Jeez he's so funny...

Maybe that student shouting at him was right after all.. ;) :rolleyes:

Oh yeah that's very true, although I do think that was sent out because they knew Wednesday was supposed to be the biggest night. They send out a warning every time before the Wednesday show - I've been an M&M every year and we are always told how crazy Wednesday or Thursday could be so it was probably the university and SU pres trying to cover their a**** before anything happened since they don't want it on their own back.
    Funny that the SU pres sent the e-mail especially since he is the one who got into 'office' because of his promise of ULFest - everyone I spoke to during the election week, told me that was why they voted for him so if ULFest gets cancelled then his no.1 promise is gone - probably why he is trying so hard to defend it and keep it going!

Ha did he really send that? I didn't see at all - that's typical though. Anybody who didn't or doesn't go to an Irish university would never understand 'rag' week and would make a stupid comment about it.. Ugh, the student probably was right :P

I was actually surprised the SU got Professor Green, he's a pretty big name to get considering the mediocre acts we usually have, ha.

• Advertisement

*Only in Limerick*

Was on the 304 yesterday around 5pm from UL, packed as usual..I had a big bag with me so I was standing near the front. Got into the city anyway and another huge crowd got in. The last guy in had a big plastic Dunnes shopping bag. The bang of drink off him was something else, he was standing directly across from me muttering away.

Anyway, the bus pulls out and heads for Ballycummin, next thing I know this drunk dude is pulling cans out of his Dunnes bag, grand that's just Limerick for you. But what happened next was pure magic.

He stuck his hand back into the bag, flicked a button and started blaring 80's rock anthems in the middle of the bus :D:D he had a stereo in his shopping bag, not a single fcuk given!

I thought I was going to burst trying not to laugh at him.

All this time there was a woman sitting up the front of the bus throwing this cool dude the dirtiest of looks. She was on the phone to (I presume) Sky/Eircom trying to cancel a direct debit or something, in the end she had to request a call back later on because the music was so loud.

What was even better was, I was getting the bus home at Arthur's Quay today and there was the legend still blaring the chunes on his ghetto blaster.

By far and away the highlight of my Rag week anyway!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My housemate's key got stuck in the door, so only naturally he put his foot in it (literally) to make a hole he could climb out. Bye bye deposit, really would've loved to have spent you on a new guitar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

FionnK86 wrote: »
    My housemate's key got stuck in the door, so only naturally he put his foot in it (literally) to make a hole he could climb out. Bye bye deposit, really would've loved to have spent you on a new guitar :(

Go straight to your landlord and inform them. The housemate should be the only one to pay for that

FionnK86 wrote: »

The mind really does boggle :confused::confused:

What goes through fellas heads when they decide to do this kinda thing?!

What age/year is he in if you don't mind me asking? Surely even if you're only 18 years of age and the freshest of freshers, you wouldn't dream of doing this?

As ricimaki said above, make it clear to your landlord that this had nothing to do with you.

What age/year is he in if you don't mind me asking? Surely even if you're only 18 years of age and the freshest of freshers, you wouldn't dream of doing this?

As ricimaki said above, make it clear to your landlord that this had nothing to do with you.

What probably goes through their head is: "Ah shur, Mammy/Daddy'll handle it. Be grand."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Also make it clear to him that he is paying for the new door.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I despise the writing part of my FYP.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

iLaura wrote: »
    I despise the writing part of my FYP.

That is all.

We're nearly there though!

Daniel S wrote: »
    We're nearly there though!

April 8th, come at me bro!

I'm still not finished all my lab work though so I can't fully do my results or start my discussion really. That'll hopefully all chance next week, and by Good Friday I should have all of my lab results.

April 8th, come at me bro!

I'm still not finished all my lab work though so I can't fully do my results or start my discussion really. That'll hopefully all chance next week, and by Good Friday I should have all of my lab results.

I'm done on Friday! :pac:

• Advertisement

You pesky engingeers! *shakes fist*

I feel sorry for the Comp and Electronic engineers; their FYP is due on Tuesday 29th. The day before is Easter Monday, and the Friday before hand is Good Friday. So they realistically need to get it printed on the Thursday which is four days before its actually due.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Ah feck ya mines not due til the 22nd of April :pac:

Ompala wrote: »
    Ah feck ya mines not due til the 22nd of April :pac:

Systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Systems?

Nope Chem Eng, its a pain just want to get it out of the way! :mad:

I should have said due Friday.... not done... :pac: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

This thread will be dead in the coming year given that nearly everyone in it is in their final year

Troxck wrote: »
    This thread will be dead in the coming year given that nearly everyone in it is in their final year

It's alright guys, at this rate I'll be going for the Van Wilder year. #7yearundergrad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

The two of us can keep it going :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

The happy days thread might take over from this one.

7650 posts here compared to 580 there... We might be sending the wrong message to people interested in going to UL :o

Anyway, back to bitching.
    As iLaura said, us electronic and computer engineers have to have our FYP reports done and dusted by Thursday, even though its not due in until the following Tuesday. I guarantee I'll look through the report and spot lots of errors between then.:(

• Advertisement

ricimaki wrote: »
    The happy days thread might take over from this one.

7650 posts here compared to 580 there... We might be sending the wrong message to people interested in going to UL :o

Anyway, back to bitching.
    As iLaura said, us electronic and computer engineers have to have our FYP reports done and dusted by Thursday, even though its not due in until the following Tuesday. I guarantee I'll look through the report and spot lots of errors between then.:(

Advice I got a few years ago was "Once you've printed it, don't look at it. By then it's too late, and there's nothing you can do about it, so just submit it and forget about it."

I know it's easier said than done though. :P

Advertisement