Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

wnolan1992 wrote:
    I know it's easier said than done though.

I found the opposite to be true. Once I had mine printed, if anyone had told me to look at it again, I would have belted them with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

The two of us can keep it going :cool:

Doubt I'll be seeing second year in UL haha

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

ricimaki wrote: »
    The happy days thread might take over from this one.

7650 posts here compared to 580 there... We might be sending the wrong message to people interested in going to UL :o

Anyway, back to bitching.
    As iLaura said, us electronic and computer engineers have to have our FYP reports done and dusted by Thursday, even though its not due in until the following Tuesday. I guarantee I'll look through the report and spot lots of errors between then.:(

I think it's stupid that they have to be in by like 10am on Tuesday morning (at least this is what the bf told me). I'd say that there wouldn't be half as much hassle if it was a 5pm deadline

So, when we go back is it considered week 9 or 10? I have labs that run alternating weeks and I want to know if I need to have them prepared or not :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Troxck wrote: »
    So, when we go back is it considered week 9 or 10? I have labs that run alternating weeks and I want to know if I need to have them prepared or not :o

Calendar Week 10, Teaching Week 9. So go with Week 9.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Calendar Week 10, Teaching Week 9. So go with Week 9.

Cheers, wasn't sure if ye counted this week off as an academic week and just continued on or not.

Also, Week 9... This year flew :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Has anyone worked on campus for the summer as a receptionist or housekeeper? Thinking of applying but no idea what it'd be like..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Has anyone worked on campus for the summer as a receptionist or housekeeper? Thinking of applying but no idea what it'd be like..

Are these up online somewhere? Would be interested and would appreciate if you know where I could find more details. Cheers!

TheGunns wrote: »
    Are these up online somewhere? Would be interested and would appreciate if you know where I could find more details. Cheers!

https://twitter.com/AccommodationUL/status/706825654797520898

I don't know if I'd fancy the housekeeping but receptionist could be nice, I presume it's difficult to get into of course

Provisional timetables are up!

• Advertisement

A random but slightly urgent question:

How do you find out how many "ECTS" you've been awarded so far? Is that the number of "Cred Hours" on your transcript?

Basically I'm applying for a Masters and I need to put in however many ECTS I'm short before graduating (basically my FYP)...

I'm a gigantic idiot. It's just the number of Credits. NEVERMIND! NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Has anyone any experience in failing modules on Erasmus? I'm putting in a lot of effort in, but some of my modules are way too hard compared to where I am at the moment. Will UL let me make up the credits when I return back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

A random but slightly urgent question:

How do you find out how many "ECTS" you've been awarded so far? Is that the number of "Cred Hours" on your transcript?

Basically I'm applying for a Masters and I need to put in however many ECTS I'm short before graduating (basically my FYP)...

From here, given that there are 60 ECTS in a year, you would have 6 per module (assuming 5 modules per semester). I think its the Cred Hours alright.

If you need just how many it would be for your FYP, it would presumably be 12, as its 2 modules worth 6 each.

From here, given that there are 60 ECTS in a year, you would have 6 per module (assuming 5 modules per semester). I think its the Cred Hours alright.

If you need just how many it would be for your FYP, it would presumably be 12, as its 2 modules worth 6 each.

Yup, you're correct. I need to follow my own advice and Google stuff before posting. :pac:

Now, let's see if you can answer this one...

Where would one get an "Official description of the grading scheme for your home university"... I have loads of lecture slides that have a breakdown of the CSIS grading scheme, but I can't for the life of me find an actual official document...

*queue me finding it within 10 seconds of posting this*

Yup, you're correct. I need to follow my own advice and Google stuff before posting. :pac:

Now, let's see if you can answer this one...

Where would one get an "Official description of the grading scheme for your home university"... I have loads of lecture slides that have a breakdown of the CSIS grading scheme, but I can't for the life of me find an actual official document...

*queue me finding it within 10 seconds of posting this*

Grading scheme meaning QCA or percentage bracket for each grade?
    QCA is explained here.
    Not sure where you'd get percentages though, given that it varies from department to department, and module to module!

Grading scheme meaning QCA or percentage bracket for each grade?
    QCA is explained here.
    Not sure where you'd get percentages though, given that it varies from department to department, and module to module!

Honestly I'm not sure what they want (it's the Danish version of the CAO, so it's all form based and very badly laid out :P)

I'll probably just give them a copy of that QCA thing (cheers for that btw), and a copy of an email from my Course Director with a breakdown of the grades... we'll see how I get on! :P

Midkemia wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience in failing modules on Erasmus? I'm putting in a lot of effort in, but some of my modules are way too hard compared to where I am at the moment. Will UL let me make up the credits when I return back to Ireland?

As far as I know you might just have to write an essay when you get back and they'll pass you?

It's so annoying when people take up places in the library but only sit down on their laptop or phone using Facebook or something. Don't mind people taking a break by doing that obviously but there was a lad next to me and he spent over an hour on Facebook while people were walking up and down looking for a place. Fúck off to red raisins if you'll be at that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Troxck wrote:
    It's so annoying when people take up places in the library but only sit down on their laptop or phone using Facebook or something. Don't mind people taking a break by doing that obviously but there was a lad next to me and he spent over an hour on Facebook while people were walking up and down looking for a place. Fúck off to red raisins if you'll be at that

Its so bad that I've just taken to avoiding the Library altogether. I just opt for the EGO rooms at this stage.

Actually, in the upcoming weeks over exams and such, if the constrution noise in the library gets loud, make sure you say something to the library! Apparently they're willing to buy in the little thingies that go into your ears to block out noise (I can't for the life of me remember what they're called). Might be helpful for those of you who don't like listening to music while studying.

• Advertisement

White noise is good if you can't study while listening to music. Set the volume just right and red raisins can seem very quite when its packed.

My biggest problem with the library is how stuffy it gets in there, even when its only half full. It can be a horrible place when its full.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

Can you get a transcript of records from the SAA? Need one for my Erasmus application.

For anyone that applied for the campus life summer positions, interviews are this week. Just got a phone call for one :D
    CheyK wrote: »
    Can you get a transcript of records from the SAA? Need one for my Erasmus application.

You can see your transcript online and just copy it from there? I dunno if you need a proper official one

iLaura wrote: »
    For anyone that applied for the campus life summer positions, interviews are this week. Just got a phone call for one :D

Same here, just off the phone. Got an interview for receptionist but would actually prefer the housekeeping because of the hours :pac:

Have you done it before? No idea really what it entails besides the job description they sent out.

Same here, just off the phone. Got an interview for receptionist but would actually prefer the housekeeping because of the hours :pac:

Have you done it before? No idea really what it entails besides the job description they sent out.

No, never done it before. Heard the house keeping is absolutely manky though with moudly food and stuff.
    I've a good bit experience with receptionist stuff so it shouldnt be too bad.

iLaura wrote: »
    No, never done it before. Heard the house keeping is absolutely manky though with moudly food and stuff.
    I've a good bit experience with receptionist stuff so it shouldnt be too bad.

I've heard it can also be class as if there's stuff in the apartments that's not part of the inventory, you can basically pocket it. :P

I've heard it can also be class as if there's stuff in the apartments that's not part of the inventory, you can basically pocket it. :P

I have also heard that. Bf's brother did it about 8 years ago and walked out with george foremans and stuff

Don't forget to vote today!

http://vote.ulsu.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

When do they usually put out the dates for August graduations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Student Centre Referndum passed anyway - thoughts?

Advertisement