Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I'm happy it passed because I do think the university is in need of a new student center. Wasn't a fan of having to pay for football pitches and a diving pool, 99% paying for something 1% will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Third time lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Had the interview today for on campus receptionist for the summer and I thought it went great and then realised the ladies were probably so nice and encouraging because their job is to be friendly and welcoming :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Had the interview today for on campus receptionist for the summer and I thought it went great and then realised the ladies were probably so nice and encouraging because their job is to be friendly and welcoming :rolleyes:

**** never thought of that. Had my interview today too :P

iLaura wrote: »
    **** never thought of that. Had my interview today too :P

I got the job! I'm incredibly excited but also so nervous :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I got the job! I'm incredibly excited but also so nervous :o

Congrats! I haven't heard anything back yet D: Fingers crossed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Have absolutely no idea how I'm going to pick my FYP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Have absolutely no idea how I'm going to pick my FYP :(

Join the club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Do an FYP on the decision on an FYP.

Psychology: The Effects of Stress Caused by Having to Choose an FYP
    History: A History of People's Decisions Choosing Their FYPs
    Maths: A Statistical Analysis of Topics Chosen For FYPs
    Computer Science: A Website To Help Students Choose an FYP
    Equine Science: How Brushing A Pony Can Help You Make Your FYP Decision

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Do an FYP on the decision on an FYP.

Psychology: The Effects of Stress Caused by Having to Choose an FYP
    History: A History of People's Decisions Choosing Their FYPs
    Maths: A Statistical Analysis of Topics Chosen For FYPs
    Computer Science: A Website To Help Students Choose an FYP
    Equine Science: How Brushing A Pony Can Help You Make Your FYP Decision

Chemistry: An analysis of the effects mixing certain chemicals have on choosing an FYP
    Business: How out-sourcing the FYP decision making process can improve productivity
    Health Science: A study into ideal health conditions to choose the best FYP
    Electronics: The amount of resistance required to choose an FYP
    Ritual and chant: How sacrificing a goat can help you choose an FYP

• Advertisement

ricimaki wrote: »
    Chemistry: An analysis of the effects mixing certain chemicals have on choosing an FYP
    Business: How out-sourcing the FYP decision making process can improve productivity
    Health Science: A study into ideal health conditions to choose the best FYP
    Electronics: The amount of resistance required to choose an FYP
    Ritual and chant: How sacrificing a goat can help you choose an FYP

Journalism: An investigation into the recent rise of FYP based FYPs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Engineering: Draw a Free-Body Diagram of you choosing your FYP based on how cool your supervisor's name is. Keep all units in SI.

Everyone in the class wants a cool, design based project and here I am looking to do one on computer analysis. Jesus, UL really has turned me into the boring adult that my first-year self denied existed deep down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Engineering: Draw a Free-Body Diagram of you choosing your FYP based on how cool your supervisor's name is. Keep all units in SI.

Everyone in the class wants a cool, design based project and here I am looking to do one on computer analysis. Jesus, UL really has turned me into the boring adult that my first-year self denied existed deep down.

Living in College Court has turned me into the crotchety old man who tells kids to get the f*ck off his lawn and to "Turn that racket down! You call that music!".

ProTip kids: If you're going into 4th year, find a house in February so that you don't end up in CC... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

That lad taking the piss out of the TEFL course... I wonder if the "reply all" was intentional! He's getting loads of "likes" through the ul email system.
    :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

And today I learned you can 'like' emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

That lad taking the piss out of the TEFL course... I wonder if the "reply all" was intentional! He's getting loads of "likes" through the ul email system.
    :D:p

With a name like Joseph Doyle, I'm sure he has awful trouble with English haha! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I haven't used the e-mail web login in ages! Been using the windows 8/10 mail program. Last time I used it it was a horrible yellow mess. Now you can like e-mails, and view/join groups!

That's been possible since this time last year! I liked a friend's email, and she thought it was "magic" - since I'm in Computer Systems, and she describes us as "wizards:rolleyes:".

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

I had an interview to be an Orientation Guide, does anyone know when they'll get back to you? It went well but I'm only a first year so they may go against me.

TMJM96 wrote: »
    I had an interview to be an Orientation Guide, does anyone know when they'll get back to you? It went well but I'm only a first year so they may go against me.

They just emailed me saying I was successful and I'm a first year so don't worry about that!

The email says: Emails are being sent to all candidates on-campus over the next few weeks so please let classmates and friends know that this will happen. As you can appreciate this takes time with the volume of students involved.

So they're in the middle of getting back to people, just keep an eye on your email for the next few days :)

• Advertisement

They just emailed me saying I was successful and I'm a first year so don't worry about that!

The email says: Emails are being sent to all candidates on-campus over the next few weeks so please let classmates and friends know that this will happen. As you can appreciate this takes time with the volume of students involved.

So they're in the middle of getting back to people, just keep an eye on your email for the next few days :)

I just checked my inbox and I am going to be a guide too, which is great.

TMJM96 wrote: »
    I just checked my inbox and I am going to be a guide too, which is great.

Yay! :D

I only applied because my guide last year was useless and I don't want incoming first years to have the same experience :rolleyes:

I only applied because my guide last year was useless and I don't want incoming first years to have the same experience :rolleyes:

I had the same ideaa last year!

The guide said something like, "Oh yeah, that's the Engineering building, you're Science students, you won't have any classes in there!"

Guess who ended up having about four classes per week in the Engineering Research building!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

In fairness a lot of guides wouldn't have a clue about your course, I was a guide last year and I study business. Got bombarded with questions on my first day about engineering from my group :P

Midkemia wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of guides wouldn't have a clue about your course, I was a guide last year and I study business. Got bombarded with questions on my first day about engineering from my group :P

(Really... I heard someone going on about that exact thing while I was packing bags for an Open Day a few months ago...)

I get what you're saying, but he should have known better, having been in UL for as long as he had been. -The guides don't get enough information on where to take students, IMO, but this guy didn't take it seriously. Busy talking to his friends and very uninformative. How he got hired to do Orientation so many times is...

We can all guess.

I just hope that they give these jobs to people who are willing to help this year.

Really? Our lad was really good, he was a fourth year in our course so he was able to answer questions specifically and also give direct advice.

I just did it because it's a bit of money but also it just seems like a nice thing to do. I will feel bad if I get a non Science/Engineering course and I'll just have to give them general advice rather than if they were STEM. It'd be nice if I got my own course ngl

Midkemia wrote: »

In fairness my guide was actually doing my course! I hope I get a group from my own course though, I can appreciate how hard it must be to be a humanities student and getting a STEM group. But I asked in the interview and they said their goal was to match guides to groups as close as possible for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

The quality of guides varies hugely, my undergrad guide (Humanities course) was a Business student who was rather hungover but they tried, at least.
    My postgrad guide wasn't from our course (naturally) but they gave it a good attempt before myself and the other UL undergrads asked if we could head off as we knew the campus etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Best of luck to everyone starting exams today.

Just back from my first one myself, four to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

kerryked wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone starting exams today.

Just back from my first one myself, four to go.

One down... One to go :)

Advertisement