Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get boiling water for if I bring my own teabags in?

Chaplaincy maybe? I know the stables/plaza/scholars charge something like 20-50c for boiling water and milk and sugar. If assume chaplaincy is free

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Yeah chaplaincy has a kettle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Post Grad room may as well..
    Or bring a kettle :D

Who brings a 5L bottle of water to the library!
    Who needs to be that hydrated!
    Empty in the bin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

If I have to pick an elective for next semester, I have to pre register it next week, right?

Also, does anyone have any opinions on whether someone should go for international CoOp or not? I feel that if I stay in Ireland I have a higher chance of getting a job after graduating and can do my FYP with the company.However, the experience of living and working in a foreign country sounds amazing and since I can't do Erasmus it seems like a good idea. However it's more expensive and international CoOp seems to pay worse. Since I can only apply for one I'm not too sure.

Thanks for any help ye can provide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

TMJM96 wrote: »
    If I have to pick an elective for next semester, I have to pre register it next week, right?

Also, does anyone have any opinions on whether someone should go for international CoOp or not? I feel that if I stay in Ireland I have a higher chance of getting a job after graduating and can do my FYP with the company.However, the experience of living and working in a foreign country sounds amazing and since I can't do Erasmus it seems like a good idea. However it's more expensive and international CoOp seems to pay worse. Since I can only apply for one I'm not too sure.

It should really come down to where you get the best placement. If companies related to your degree do better in Ireland, get an Irish placement. If they do better abroad, get an international placement. Go where you're going to get the best experience. If that's Ireland, you can still work for a year or two abroad after college.

sup_dude wrote: »
    It should really come down to where you get the best placement. If companies related to your degree do better in Ireland, get an Irish placement. If they do better abroad, get an international placement. Go where you're going to get the best experience. If that's Ireland, you can still work for a year or two abroad after college.

You're right, that's the main point I should look into.

Problem is we have to pick National/International before we get to look at companies.

There's a career fair next week I'll see what's on offer there. I know the general companies that hire graduates of my degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Well, I'm doing a Co-op abroad at the moment, and it's not too bad!

I mainly picked International Co-op because I don't want to be an intern for any Irish company. I can't afford to not be paid. Just remember that you have to take the first offer you get, and try to get your own Co-op as well.

I have to say that I had a weird experience trying to get a placement. I was hired by a company in Romania, but let go for no real reason. I nearly spent all that money I didn't have on flights and insurance....

I succeeded in getting another job through the Co-op office (within the EU) and nearly got another student taken on.

Unfortunately for him, there was a load of fcuking drama between the Co-op office and my employer. Before he could get to work, he was let go. He nearly spent all that money he didn't have on flights and insurance.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, it's ok to go for International, there's the Erasmus Plus grant and everything, but don't assume you have a job if you have arranged any of it through the Co-op office. Don't assume you have a job until you are literally IN WORK, DOING WORK. Try to get your own placement while you're going along with the Co-op thing.

I could tell you more about what went down, but it would sound too mad to be the truth.

Interesting incentives for the ULSU General Meeting...
    There'll be pizza and cans! (T&C)
    Bring whoever you want, friends, family, lads from the estate, BYOB too..
    We've got a quota to fill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Interesting incentives for the ULSU General Meeting...
    There'll be pizza and cans! (T&C)
    Bring whoever you want, friends, family, lads from the estate, BYOB too..
    We've got a quota to fill! :D

"We've got a quota that we dropped from 200 to 100 and still can't fill, even though there are increasing numbers of students in the college!"

• Advertisement

Well, I'm doing a Co-op abroad at the moment, and it's not too bad!

I mainly picked International Co-op because I don't want to be an intern for any Irish company. I can't afford to not be paid. Just remember that you have to take the first offer you get, and try to get your own Co-op as well.

I have to say that I had a weird experience trying to get a placement. I was hired by a company in Romania, but let go for no real reason. I nearly spent all that money I didn't have on flights and insurance....

I succeeded in getting another job through the Co-op office (within the EU) and nearly got another student taken on.

Unfortunately for him, there was a load of fcuking drama between the Co-op office and my employer. Before he could get to work, he was let go. He nearly spent all that money he didn't have on flights and insurance.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, it's ok to go for International, there's the Erasmus Plus grant and everything, but don't assume you have a job if you have arranged any of it through the Co-op office. Don't assume you have a job until you are literally IN WORK, DOING WORK. Try to get your own placement while you're going along with the Co-op thing.

I could tell you more about what went down, but it would sound too mad to be the truth.

Cheers for the reply, appreciate it.

I heard the CoOp office are a pain to deal with. Know people dealing with them now and they don't make it as easy as they could...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

What course are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Chavways wrote: »
    What course are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Applied Physics (2nd Yr).

Ended up picking my elective today for next semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Applied Physics (2nd Yr).

Ended up picking my elective today for next semester.

Ah yes, I remember now! I just graduated from that and a few of my friends did international co-op while I did co-op in Limerick so if you have any questions you think I could answer, send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Has anyone been keeping up with An Focal so far this year? Thoughts?

Has anyone been keeping up with An Focal so far this year? Thoughts?

I've read it a few times and in all honestly? A bit indifferent tbh but I heard a few people were upset that a person in favour of keeping the 8th amendment had a piece in the latest edition. I am 100% in favour of repealing the 8th but I think it's only fair to include both arguments. It can't be seen as a bias paper, even if for students only.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I've read it a few times and in all honestly? A bit indifferent tbh but I heard a few people were upset that a person in favour of keeping the 8th amendment had a piece in the latest edition. I am 100% in favour of repealing the 8th but I think it's only fair to include both arguments. It can't be seen as a bias paper, even if for students only.

Have to agree 100%. I was in favour of the gay marriage referendum and im in favour of repeal ths 8th but I don't really like how some people refuse to entertain, that there is an opposite viewpoint to their own.

Midkemia wrote: »
    Have to agree 100%. I was in favour of the gay marriage referendum and im in favour of repeal ths 8th but I don't really like how some people refuse to entertain, that there is an opposite viewpoint to their own.

I can understand why people would be annoyed at marriage equality and the 8th amendment being written about with different views, they can be very personal for many people.

But you have to have balance. You have to
    represent everyone on campus, as long as the views aren't bigoted and all that (you can't just say you're against the 8th being repealed because the church says it's wrong etc etc)

Thought this was particularly quiet this year...
    Turns out I just forgot to check it for a few weeks..
    Despite that, not a lot of bitching thus far...
    Give it time.. :D

Thought this was particularly quiet this year...
    Turns out I just forgot to check it for a few weeks..
    Despite that, not a lot of bitching thus far...
    Give it time.. :D

It's only Week 5, give it time!

There also seems to be no first years here which is odd...

• Advertisement

Unless they're just really quiet, not typically a first year trait but you never know.. :P
    Assignments will be due in a couple of weeks, surprised if it hasn't picked up by then :P
    Almost half way through semester.. that's scary.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

It's only Week 5, give it time!

There also seems to be no first years here which is odd...

I'm here but I don't really have much to say, just chipping away at various labs and assignments every week. I have a pretty full week so time spent posting on boards is not something I can prioritise.

Most of the others are on facebook posting Harambe "memes"....even though that meme died once it went mainstream like every other good meme. I don't get why it seems to be only catching on now, months after his death.

I'm here but I don't really have much to say, just chipping away at various labs and assignments every week. I have a pretty full week so time spent posting on boards is not something I can prioritise.

Most of the others are on facebook posting Harambe "memes"....even though that meme died once it went mainstream like every other good meme. I don't get why it seems to be only catching on now, months after his death.

:rolleyes:

Wait until 2nd year, labs get even more fun :D

I have so many assignments and labs to write up I haven't had time to actually sit down and study properly, end of week 5 and I'm fairly fúcked already. Everyone is in the same boat so I don't feel that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

:rolleyes:

Wait until 2nd year, labs get even more fun :D

I have so many assignments and labs to write up I haven't had time to actually sit down and study properly, end of week 5 and I'm fairly fúcked already. Everyone is in the same boat so I don't feel that bad.

2nd year, cute :P
    FYP is hell.

*awaits post grads telling me how easy I have it* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

ScummyMan wrote: »
    FYP is hell.

Nope nothing easy about the FYP... I'm in the same boat!

FYP is hell.

I expected that and deserved it tbh haha.

But this semester is so hard and I don't see myself passing most modules at this stage. Im just praying I'm on the right side of the bell curve.

I went to the careers fair too and pretty much confirmed what companies I would like to apply to for CoOp. Some are even doing summer internships so I might as well apply

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Pfft, FYP, Postgrads... y'all know nothing.

Try keeping a radio station on the air with no money. THEN YOU'LL KNOW PRESSURE!

:pac:

(Can I bitch about the fact that the boot hard-drive on our PC died on Wednesday here, or is this thread reserved for academic bitching now? :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Try keeping a radio station on the air with no money. THEN YOU'LL KNOW PRESSURE!

Been there. Done that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

FYP is hell.

I'm no longer even in UL, but fúcking Masters lads. I'm complaining here cause the UCC boards is dead.

We've had 9 lectures for a module at this stage, and have been given literally 44 science papers to read so far. Its extra annoying when you're expected to have them read before the lecture but they're only put up the night before, or your timetable changes and you have the same lecture twice in one day and then have 16 articles to read :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

iLaura wrote: »
    I'm no longer even in UL, but fúcking Masters lads. I'm complaining here cause the UCC boards is dead.

We've had 9 lectures for a module at this stage, and have been given literally 44 science papers to read so far. Its extra annoying when you're expected to have them read before the lecture but they're only put up the night before, or your timetable changes and you have the same lecture twice in one day and then have 16 articles to read :mad:

Literally same. I knew a masters would be a step up from undergrad, but I'm a little shocked with the workload :o

Advertisement