Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Week 6 and the library is full at 1 o clock. My material is on second floor. Could only find a seat at one of the new desks that havent elec or internet yet.
    Its a Monday too.
    Can see it getting busier and busier, even on weekends.. finally its reached saturation.
    It wont be long til I start moaning about all seats untaken with laptops and books left there too..
    Hold tight. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Week 6 and the library is full at 1 o clock. My material is on second floor. Could only find a seat at one of the new desks that havent elec or internet yet.
    Its a Monday too.
    Can see it getting busier and busier, even on weekends.. finally its reached saturation.
    It wont be long til I start moaning about all seats untaken with laptops and books left there too..

I went into the library once so far a few weeks back, saw there were hardly any seats and just left again. One of the pros of still living at home, having a nice and mostly quiet place to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Its a Monday too.

It was the same last year unfortunately :/

The library in UCC is really weird. They desks are tiny and only the desks at the edges of the rooms have plugs. Ethernet cables don't exist there at all, and the place is constantly freezing. I've had to start trying to study at home because I just can't seem to concentrate in the library at all.

Have to get in earlier and be smarter about it. Ill be spending most of my year here. Worked out today as Im mostly reading anyway but wouldve liked to have got some typing done too..
    Surprised about 2nd floor though.. youd think lower floors would fill first :P
    Must be more business and arts students than everything else.. actually putting it like that its less surprising :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

What's with UL leaving it 6 weeks to tell students about their financial details. Logged into the portal and turns out I owe 1500 this semster...1500 that SUSI was supposedly paying. Have to go in tomorrow and see what the story is :mad:

• Advertisement

RianF2 wrote: »
    What's with UL leaving it 6 weeks to tell students about their financial details. Logged into the portal and turns out I owe 1500 this semster...1500 that SUSI was supposedly paying. Have to go in tomorrow and see what the story is :mad:

If your Susi application is still pending then they accommodate that for a while. My first application got rejected, I appealed successfully and have sent off stuff now. Theres nothing more I can do. Its when its been turned down for good you need to start doling out. Also at the end of the email if your Susi application has been granted and youre in receipt of one they dont get onto them straight away so youll get the email anyway. If youve been granted a grant, youve nothing to fret over.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Don't panic about the fees. I know plenty that didn't pay them till around January! They'll send threatening emails but it's all hot air...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Don't panic about the fees. I know plenty that didn't pay them till around January! They'll send threatening emails but it's all hot air...

This.

You guys have a very lenient administration. I didn't pay half of mine till December even though I wasn't on SUSI.
    I guess nobody pays on time because there isn't any fines for not paying it in time whereas in DIT, if you fail to pay on time, there's a E500 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

If your Susi application is still pending then they accommodate that for a while. My first application got rejected, I appealed successfully and have sent off stuff now. Theres nothing more I can do. Its when its been turned down for good you need to start doling out. Also at the end of the email if your Susi application has been granted and youre in receipt of one they dont get onto them straight away so youll get the email anyway. If youve been granted a grant, youve nothing to fret over.

Thanks. Just a bit addled cause SUSI messed up and wouldn't let me renew. Had to start a new application just for 4th year. I have the letter saying I've been awarded a grant. People have told me I need to show it to the fees office. Do you know if this is true?

All this stuff going on as well as an FYP...geez 4th year is great so far.

Thanks. Just a bit addled cause SUSI messed up and wouldn't let me renew. Had to start a new application just for 4th year. I have the letter saying I've been awarded a grant. People have told me I need to show it to the fees office. Do you know if this is true?

Im in the same shoes except mines yet to be granted ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I'm doing my co-op in a different semester to the rest of my course, so the co-op office said I have to organise it totally on my own and they won't be helping me.. fair enough says I...

But they said it is mandatory for me to complete the CV for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Assignments and Midterms will be the death of me, I've had so little time for myself outside study it's so frustrating. I can't wait for the two days next week we have off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I needed to start a new one because my brother has applied this year, and I needed to give him the letter from my acceptance to prove that I'm in UL the last time I was in Ireland....

It'll be grand, I'm going back in a few days because my bank has fcuked me over and I can't withdraw any of my cash or use my debit card!! YAAAY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The women in UL are exceptional this year :D:D

Wrong thread... :P
    Unless you see them as competition..
    I'm open-minded :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ah just lightening the mood in the bitch thread .

It needs it...
    Essay due this week, revised version of same due next week, must start a project soon, putting off FYP longer than I'd like as well..
    Week 7 hit me like a tonne of bricks..
    Nice to know there's fine women out there though ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I dislike UL's policy of not giving out results for individual essays completed during the semester until January :( We used to get provisional results in UCC so you weren't left waiting on feedback!

Eugh I'm so tired!
    And I have so much to do!
    And I'm sick.
    And I've so much to do!
    It's almost Week 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Anybody know what the story is with UL plummeting down the international rankings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Midkemia wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with UL plummeting down the international rankings?

Yeah, I graduated :P

Exam timetables are out!

This semester is so stressful and I honestly can't see myself passing one of my modules no matter what work I put in for it

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Exam timetables are out!

This semester is so stressful and I honestly can't see myself passing one of my modules no matter what work I put in for it

I've exams on both Saturdays apparently. A bit cruel but at least I'm done by the 10th :cool:

I've exams on both Saturdays apparently. A bit cruel but at least I'm done by the 10th :cool:

Start the 5th and end on the 16th. Glad I have good gaps in between my exams and my worst exam will be my first exam, so some upsides!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

One on the 6th and one on the 12th. Delighted they are so far apart and i've only 2 this semester.

Lecturer said SAA are very reluctant to change times, but would you think if I asked lecturers, they might switch the two exams around? Prefer to get the one on the 12th done on the 6th and vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Exam timetables are out!

Sit down and timetable yourself out. You've come this far so just keep going, Week 9 isn't too late to rescue a semester. Panicking does f*ck all for you, just get into the books and you'll be thankful next summer when you don't have to pay €171 for a repeat and ruin August with study, better to have a sh!t November in the library than a summer wrecked for the sake of one exam! :(

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Sit down and timetable yourself out. You've come this far so just keep going, Week 9 isn't too late to rescue a semester. Panicking does f*ck all for you, just get into the books and you'll be thankful next summer when you don't have to pay €171 for a repeat and ruin August with study, better to have a sh!t November in the library than a summer wrecked for the sake of one exam! :(

Regarding switching exams, you can't only do it if your course has two exams on the one day or another situation similar to do. If you cever I'll get your entire course behind the idea then maybe.

I've been studying so much this year and it is showing in all my modules bar the one I'm worried about. I understand the material but there's so much of it! The only thing giving me confidence is that the entire class find it difficult so I'm not alone. I've been doing well in reports and pretty well in the assignments so hopefully I can get a pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Lads can anyone give a brief summary of what the story is with the issues re night at the dogs. Saw on face book some students have been reported to the police for making death threats

Lads can anyone give a brief summary of what the story is with the issues re night at the dogs. Saw on face book some students have been reported to the police for making death threats

So initially a lot of people saw it as an issue that ENTS organised an event at Night at the Dogs. They see dog racing as cruel etc and they see ENTS having an event there as I guess "supporting" it? So people went onto the SU FB page (SU not directly involved, they're just selling the tickets for it) downvoting the SU and giving it bad publicity, others made pretty offensive posts (didn't see them myself as they were taken down but I saw screenshots and yeah, not the nicest stuff was said). Then people not even in UL//from the UL area starting complaining on the SU page and essentially protesting the event and started making threatening comments towards current UL students.

It's a huge mess basically.

I can sorta see why people have a problem with this event, yet none of this happened last semester with regards to the student race day for the horses. So I just see this as a bit of attention seeking. Surely if you care so much about the livelihood of dogs, you care about all animals involved in sports like this?

• Advertisement

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the same event was run last year with very little fanfare..

Advertisement