Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the same event was run last year with very little fanfare..

Ssssh, don't tell them that! :P

Basically, the people way well have a point about event, but dog-piling on the SU and ENTS pages giving 1-star reviews and making threats:
    a) makes people less likely to hear you out
    b) makes your argument look invalid because you have to resort to stuff like that
    and c) will achieve SWEET F*CK ALL, because the SU (of which ENTS is a part even if they trade separately IMO) aren't going to cancel an event over negative FB reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the same event was run last year with very little fanfare..

Exactly, I was thinking the same thing! Absolutely no one complained about it last year, nor were any issues presented to us in Student Council. I know I'm not in the university anymore, but I still try to follow the SU politics :P I miss UL so much D:

On another b1tching note, I just completed an hour long phone interview, which marks step 6 in the interview process for a grad position for next year. I even had to pee in a cup for a medical D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I know the whole thing with the dogs the SU is a disaster but I can say I am definitely not a fan of how the SU handled it themselves...Posting trolling gifs and little immature things, as a body that some outsiders believe represents the institution or relates to the representation, they should have a little more grace than that.

As post-grads, a lot of my friends and I feel this way..

I don't support the event and welcomed some of the posts stating a few newspaper articles but people went too far obv. I still think Su should have handled it differently and they lost a bit of respect from a good number of the post-grad body anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AhhMang

Aragneer wrote: »
    I know the whole thing with the dogs the SU is a disaster but I can say I am definitely not a fan of how the SU handled it themselves...Posting trolling gifs and little immature things, as a body that some outsiders believe represents the institution or relates to the representation, they should have a little more grace than that.

As post-grads, a lot of my friends and I feel this way..

I don't support the event and welcomed some of the posts stating a few newspaper articles but people went too far obv. I still think Su should have handled it differently and they lost a bit of respect from a good number of the post-grad body anyway..
    By a "good number" do you mean you and like four of your mates. Your post grad SU did a fine job so be proud of that

AhhMang wrote: »
    By a "good number" do you mean you and like four of your mates. Your post grad SU did a fine job so be proud of that

No actually so don't be so quick to judge. I know more people than my friends - including undergraduates and others discussing the matter.

I was not talking about the PSU as I respect them and have not seen their involvement. I am discussing the ULSU.

• Advertisement

No actually so don't be so quick to judge. I know more people than my friends - including undergraduates and others discussing the matter.

I was not talking about the PSU as I respect them and have not seen their involvement. I am discussing the ULSU.
    So like maybe 20 people then? Just gauging what you mean by alot of people. Considering theres over 15000 students. I am aware you're not talking about the PSU, I was just saying your SU, the PSU did a great job in the matter as it remained completely out of it.

And just to clarify you don't respect the ULSU because of this single incident?

If you read my original post, I said they lost a small bit of respect. Not because of the actual event, but the gifs and stuff they have posted about the concerned trolls.

It's just my opinion.I just feel they should have been a bit classier about it really. I always thought the ULSU were always very poised in their dealings - I have worked with them throughout my undergrad and post grad.

If you read my original post, I said they lost a small bit of respect. Not because of the actual event, but the gifs and stuff they have posted about the concerned trolls.

It's just my opinion.I just feel they should have been a bit classier about it really. I always thought the ULSU were always very poised in their dealings - I have worked with them throughout my undergrad and post grad.
    I was just clarify, as you said you weren't talking about the PSU as you respect then would infer you don't respect ULSU. again I was just clarifying.

I agree with the classier aspect. And to be honest I was surprised, not in a good or bad way of the response. To the best of my knowledge there is a social media policy which essentially means they can't add fuel to the fire. It seems to be quite relaxed now, no clue why. But then again the amount of sh*te the SU gets (remember the dog in college court incident?) that some times I can imagine they probably just think you know what f*ck them type of attitude, which of course can be understandable.

I was just clarify, as you said you weren't talking about the PSU as you respect then would infer you don't respect ULSU. again I was just clarifying.

I agree with the classier aspect. And to be honest I was surprised, not in a good or bad way of the response. To the best of my knowledge there is a social media policy which essentially means they can't add fuel to the fire. It seems to be quite relaxed now, no clue why. But then again the amount of sh*te the SU gets (remember the dog in college court incident?) that some times I can imagine they probably just think you know what f*ck them type of attitude, which of course can be understandable.

Oh sorry about the misunderstanding there! I didn't mean to be so defensive!

I do agree there. The SU get an unreasonable amount of **** about so much, especially what their students are doing and why. (I worked the M&Ms) and the residents complaints were all over. So I do agree and also with the social media policy you are probably spot on. I just kinda skim over their posts on it now at first I was a bit ugh about it but now you put it like that you are probably right on how they dealt with it.

• Advertisement

So like maybe 20 people then? Just gauging what you mean by alot of people. Considering theres over 15000 students. I am aware you're not talking about the PSU, I was just saying your SU, the PSU did a great job in the matter as it remained completely out of it.

To be fair, 20 people would actually be a pretty large portion of the people who actually care about the SU on anything more than a passing interest level... :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Put the Claws away hun

Put the Claws away hun
    I'm not your hun, luv

wnolan1992 wrote: »

To be fair, 20 people would actually be a pretty large portion of the people who actually care about the SU on anything more than a passing interest level... :P
    Aye, true but it's usually people that have the attitude of what has the SU ever done or they don't care are usually first in line asking for help when they need it. It always reminds me of the monthy python sketch, what have the romans ever done for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Unsurprised by it all to be honest...
    Have very little to do with the SU voluntarily if I can help it.
    They seem very laid back and respond to more serious issues perhaps without the tact that they deserve at times.
    That said, this 'night at the dogs' craic looked to be a storm in a teacup and should've been treated the same way had SU just said from the start 'they were only selling tickets' or they weren't directly affiliated with it or even nothing at all and just reported and deleted comments that were left.
    I don't even know who's involved in the SU any more. Found out a new Student Centre is supposedly on the cards too, which I find to be a joke.
    Bad use of money, money other colleges could use to good effect. I know CIT is dangerously low at the moment and we have a staff of students in SU, plans for a new student centre, a shop to sell UL merch and restaurants spattered all over campus, half of which are losing money.
    All of this in a sector that isn't getting enough money as it is, as students have a tendency not to vote so why bother.. it just seems to be an awful use of money.
    The library is the only good thing to come out of it and in fairness, it should have been completed years ago, the increase in students to UL was never a surprise, it should have been ready.
    Obviously, the latter isn't the student unions fault, but at the same time, it's a fair drain of money and resources than what it needs to be.
    Next semester, when Charity week comes around, it'll be the same old ****e, foam party, UV party, etc etc a few small local bands then the highlight; a DJ set from two fúckers I've never heard of before asking for 20/30 quid a head for a 2 hour 'rave' in the courtyard.
    Whats worse is the money they're getting for it...
    If they want to do something for charity, but their budget straight towards it and source bands from music soc and from around Limerick.

I didn't realise I was this angry about it...
    In my defence I'm extremely busy as well and needed an outlet.
    Thank you bitch thread.

Also, in a COMPLETELY unrelated topic..
    Did an interview over the weekend, in which both parties have to be recorded.
    Listened back to it later, thinking I'd sound all nice and composed.
    I sound common as muck! With an English accent I thought I lost years ago!
    Also, for those conducting interviews in the future, bring water with you..
    Otherwise listening back, how often you (for me anyway) have to clear your throat is borderline concerning.

Also, in a COMPLETELY unrelated topic..
    Did an interview over the weekend, in which both parties have to be recorded.
    Listened back to it later, thinking I'd sound all nice and composed.
    I sound common as muck! With an English accent I thought I lost years ago!
    Also, for those conducting interviews in the future, bring water with you..
    Otherwise listening back, how often you (for me anyway) have to clear your throat is borderline concerning.

I had an hour long insight phone interview on Thursday evening, so basically it was me talking for at least 57 of those minutes. I could hear myself back in the background and you could tell I was gasping for a drink so badly by the end of it. Thankfully I didn't clear my throat at all during it though!

I was giving interview :P Asking questions and quietly trying to clear throat in between nodding and quiet coughs that vaguely sound like yes :P
    Was a full length pilot but Christ was just a shock.
    I thought I sounded all proper and composed when I spoke, especially when I try!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Lost marks in a lab report for not completing a certain task that we were told not to do in a lab, brought down my overall CA marks from an A1 to a B1 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

TMJM96 wrote:
    Lost marks in a lab report for not completing a certain task that we were told not to do in a lab, brought down my overall CA marks from an A1 to a B1

Can ye not appeal that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

TMJM96 wrote:
    Lost marks in a lab report for not completing a certain task that we were told not to do in a lab, brought down my overall CA marks from an A1 to a B1

Can ye not appeal that?

Absolutely appeal that, thats a huge jump.
    Chancea are theres others in same position as you too so wont be alone.

Absolutely appeal that, thats a huge jump.
    Chancea are theres others in same position as you too so wont be alone.

Well my lab partner would be in the same situation I assume. Essentially the lecturer came in told us to do this part and when we were about to we just then double checked with the lab tech who the told us we don't have to and so we didn't bother.

I have one more report left to do and it could bring me up but having every percent you can have before an exam is useful.

This semester has been a complete mess for me :rolleyes:

It's two grade jumps! essentially 10% of that report!
    It's ridiculous!
    Just say you asked a lab tech who said that it didn't need to be done and ask can you have the chance to resubmit with it included and get it regraded.
    That's the nicest way to say it.

Best not to go in f-ing and blinding lab tech but at same time let it be known that you did ask someone and they said don't bother. The blame doesn't lie with you.
    From that point on the most you could get was a B1 and that's not fair.

It's two grade jumps! essentially 10% of that report!
    It's ridiculous!
    Just say you asked a lab tech who said that it didn't need to be done and ask can you have the chance to resubmit with it included and get it regraded.
    That's the nicest way to say it.

Best not to go in f-ing and blinding lab tech but at same time let it be known that you did ask someone and they said don't bother. The blame doesn't lie with you.
    From that point on the most you could get was a B1 and that's not fair.

The problem with the report is we can't go and add in the left out part, we'd have to go and re do the lab which I don't think is possible :/

It annoyed me since it was my best report yet, I got 10% below my average so far and given it was my best I say I could have gotten higher than my average.

I still got a decent grade, but it could be better.

It was an honest mistake by everyone so I won't be angry saying it and all that!

I don't wanna be fueling the hatred or anything, but what are people's opinions on the facebook event to protest the night at the dogs? Here's the link, but please don't sh1t post it https://www.facebook.com/events/893437224090425/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

iLaura wrote: »
    I don't wanna be fueling the hatred or anything, but what are people's opinions on the facebook event to protest the night at the dogs? Here's the link, but please don't sh1t post it https://www.facebook.com/events/893437224090425/

They have every right to protest peacefully and ULSU have every right to go ahead with the event. Anyone who says otherwise is being unreasonable.

They have every right to protest peacefully and ULSU have every right to go ahead with the event. Anyone who says otherwise is being unreasonable.

I wholeheartedly agree, I just think some of the comments from both parties are absolutely ridiculous. You'd think fully grown adults would have a bit more cop on.

I think the entire thing is hilarious, and it's giving me an opportunity to troll people, which is something I don't often get to do for obvious, bold-username reasons. :pac:

Agree with the previous posts though, both sides are perfectly entitled to their opinions, though I think targeting the SU is a bit ridiculous. If they were picketing every racenight you'd say fair enough, but how is this any different to the hundreds of other racenights during the year.

TBH, it seems like they found a target, the target took the bait (the initial outrage from UL people that people were daring to question their SU), and it's sort of fueled itself into a huge clusterf*ck.

As someone who doesn't really care, it's highly amusing to watch people get worked up on both sides though!

• Advertisement

I just don't understand where these protestors were last year for this event or even last semester for the horse race day.

It's all a bit much

Advertisement