Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I genuinely believe there are a small group of people interested in the welfare of these dogs. They represent a very small minority. The rest is made up of sheep, picking a side then voicing their mostly uneducated, bias view on it, but sadly majority is made of trolls; and these trolls know they're at an all you can eat buffet.
    I haven't been following it really either, just had a quick look today, looks like things have gotten out of hand, not sure what either side have said but there's been threats of guards and the like.
    Agree with TMJ here though, if you're going to target the dogs based on the grounds of them being mistreated and that their racing for our pleasure; they have to target student race day too.
    Personally think it's a situation, handled badly from the beginning and given the fuel to escalate. Come Monday you'll never hear anything of it again. Until maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I think the protestors intentions are good, but they have went about it the wrong way in attacking students and all the reviews on the SU page etc. I wish there could be civilised discussion over the issue, but unfortunately the people trying to be funny on the protest event page are making UL students look incredibly dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think the protestors intentions are good, but they have went about it the wrong way in attacking students and all the reviews on the SU page etc. I wish there could be civilised discussion over the issue, but unfortunately the people trying to be funny on the protest event page are making UL students look incredibly dim.

Don't blame me, I'm an alumnus, not a student. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Don't blame me, I'm an alumnus, not a student. :pac:

Can we pretend that we never left?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iLaura wrote: »
    Can we pretend that we never left?

I still haven't! :pac:

Denial is a wonderful way of not facing the real world. :P

• Advertisement

I'm a student!! :D

But I just don't care...
    Blissful ignorance, perhaps not the best way to tackle things, but F***, it's effective anyway :D
    One would think other students have commitments similar to myself at this point of the year.
    I don't mean to judge or tar all with the same brush (by saying that it means I can say what I'm about to without ridicule ;P) but they don't seem like the people who have their modules learnt off by heart :P

I'm a student!! :D

But I just don't care...
    Blissful ignorance, perhaps not the best way to tackle things, but F***, it's effective anyway :D
    One would think other students have commitments similar to myself at this point of the year.
    I don't mean to judge or tar all with the same brush (by saying that it means I can say what I'm about to without ridicule ;P) but they don't seem like the people who have their modules learnt off by heart :P

Gooood Chris, education isnt about learning things off by heart, its about UNDERSTANDING the material, everyone knows that :P

Apologies, I hold everyone to the same Zen standards as myself..
    Study it, breathe it, be it, reproduce it.

Also the latter wasn't meant to be taken literally as much as it was a nice way of saying 'have done f*ck all thus far..' :D

Damn my niceties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Okay having read that facebook page now more thoroughly. The stupidity, ignorance, bullying for "bants" etc. astounds me. I've seen maybe one sensible post so far....

Okay having read that facebook page now more thoroughly. The stupidity, ignorance, bullying for "bants" etc. astounds me. I've seen maybe one sensible post so far....

Yup, they're as bad as each other. Though I do think Colin Clarke's post hit the nail on the head, and how most of the protestors ignored the valid argument and question in preference to responding to 'trolls'.

• Advertisement

iLaura wrote: »
    Yup, they're as bad as each other. Though I do think Colin Clarke's post hit the nail on the head, and how most of the protestors ignored the valid argument and question in preference to responding to 'trolls'.

This is basically my feelings in politics too and generally with how a debate is conducted these days. Listening to someone on 4FM blabber on about "leftists" being the PC police and "tree huggers" when the alt-right do just as much PC outrage.

Debates and public discussion these days are not about the exchanging of ideas, it's a mud slinging contest.

And also then you have the fact that on either side when they are hit with a good point they will just pretend it's not valid or not true in any way. Nobody is willing to even agree on common issues. Oxford Dictionaries picking "post-truth" as the word of the year is pretty apt considering what we've seen in public debate and discussion, on that events thread or in the presidential debates.

I'm probably repeating myself but I've found these days I can't go a day without questioning my faith in humanity. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm probably repeating myself but I've found these days I can't go a day without questioning my faith in humanity. :P

Wait until it gets to the point where "How to successfully live as a recluse" and related topics show up in your internet history...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

sounds like a job for john cambridge guys. He'd have cleared these vermon off the UL page long ago and he'd have skinned every greyhound in castletroy just to further incite the crowd. The force was strong in him.

I miss the days of the true JC... :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

The handling of the dogs race night was very bad on both parts. What annoys me most as someone who works and helps animal welfare charities, etc, is how awful the protesters and keyboard warriors. They showed good facts with their articles about the dogs but then attacked all students as a whole and earned themselves the award of 'trolls'. They did a terrible thing for the cause and probably turned a few students away from even thinking about the welfare of the dogs.

I won't get into that kind of stuff.

On the side of the SU - I voiced my opinions a few pages ago about my lack of respect for them with their gifs and their handling of it. It's my own personal thought and I will go further into it if anyone wants but yeah...

ON ANOTHER MATTER:

So Enda Kenny is coming to campus today. Anyone going to the protest?

Anyone going to TP him for his tweet and discussion on Pence? (Sorry to anyone who actually condones Pence's views but yeah).
    I'd rather protest about that then the fees but then again - I am alumni.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Aragneer wrote: »
    Anyone going to TP him for his tweet and discussion on Pence? (Sorry to anyone who actually condones Pence's views but yeah).

It's politics, he can't not be friendly with the soon to be President and VP of the US.

It's politics, he can't not be friendly with the soon to be President and VP of the US.

You don't have to play mr nice puppy dog in politics. See how other EU members are handling it for how you are supposed to play the game. The way Enda is playing it makes him look like some two faced teenager girl, call Trump's comments racist then a few months later they are two peas in a pod.

Anyway with the protest, I can't go because physics test. Lecturer didn't turn up last time because he misread his timetable, with any luck he'll misread it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I've seen plenty of politicians and others be unfriendly to the soon-to-be president and VP.

He can be friendly but a fair 'congrats' would have been fine. What he said about Pence understanding the Irish public made me sick.

Anyone - not to get into that as politics turn people against one another -

I would love to see what numbers turn out for the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Aragneer wrote: »
    The handling of the dogs race night was very bad on both parts. What annoys me most as someone who works and helps animal welfare charities, etc, is how awful the protesters and keyboard warriors. They showed good facts with their articles about the dogs but then attacked all students as a whole and earned themselves the award of 'trolls'. They did a terrible thing for the cause and probably turned a few students away from even thinking about the welfare of the dogs.

I won't get into that kind of stuff.

On the side of the SU - I voiced my opinions a few pages ago about my lack of respect for them with their gifs and their handling of it. It's my own personal thought and I will go further into it if anyone wants but yeah...

ON ANOTHER MATTER:

So Enda Kenny is coming to campus today. Anyone going to the protest?

Want to but I have college. I could probably skip it but it's week 12 so I feel going to a tutorial might help.

I hope there's a decent crowd at it

Didn't even know it was on..
    That said, would I have gone?
    I'm not opposed to the student loan schemes they want to put in place, so long as they don't mess around with it. The interest free ones you pay back when you get a job as part of wage.
    Don't trust them an inch with it though.
    How Enda got back in as Taoiseach amazes me as much as Trump and Brexit.
    It's been a queer old year..

• Advertisement

Does anyone know that when filling in an exit form do you actually have to get the course director to sign it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Does anyone know that when filling in an exit form do you actually have to get the course director to sign it?

Thanks.

I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

What happens if the co-op visitor doesn't "visit" or call during the co-op? I'm on an international co-op, and I've been told that it's likely to be a phone call. Nothing has been arranged yet, but I know who the visitor is supposed to be. Should I be trying to organise a call or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

What happens if the co-op visitor doesn't "visit" or call during the co-op? I'm on an international co-op, and I've been told that it's likely to be a phone call. Nothing has been arranged yet, but I know who the visitor is supposed to be. Should I be trying to organise a call or something?

They will organise the call (if there is one, although there should be) and they'll probably have spoken to your boss or supervisor already to see how you're getting on. It's a pretty laid back affair usually unless your supervisor is unhappy or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Pete123456 wrote: »
    They will organise the call (if there is one, although there should be) and they'll probably have spoken to your boss or supervisor already to see how you're getting on. It's a pretty laid back affair usually unless your supervisor is unhappy or something :)

One of my best memories of Coop was the supervisor visit. I had told my boss that one of my lecturers was coming in on a certain day and he assured me that he would be there.

The day of the visit he's no where to be seen. I had to send up the garage foreman so I had at least someone to talk to him. Lecturer arrives in, dressed in suit with briefcase, Graham the garage foreman comes up to the office covered head to toe in oil, shakes my lecturers hand (now also covered in oil), and precedes to tell him i was doing a 'grand job with the computers'. :D

I passed Coop anyway, but would to know what his comments were about the place :)

I didnt even get a phone call when I was on Coop.. I think if you go abroad theres far less of a chance of them following up..

Given it's study week now I just want to remind ye to download ALL your notes off SULIS now because every study week it crashes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I didnt even get a phone call when I was on Coop.. I think if you go abroad theres far less of a chance of them following up..

I got one long after I'd finished my Co-Op and I was in Ireland... but my lecturer then became my supervisor, and she was a useless b*tch so that was the reason for that :p

Anyone in library today able to tell be how it's fixed for seats?
    Will be in later regardless but don't want to waste time waiting around if there's nothing.
    Should be a counter thing like Car Parks in cities have on desks in library :P

• Advertisement

Anyone in library today able to tell be how it's fixed for seats?
    Will be in later regardless but don't want to waste time waiting around if there's nothing.
    Should be a counter thing like Car Parks in cities have on desks in library :P

First floor is awful until about 4/5pm, second floor is 80% full.

After 7pm you'll have no problem. 11am-4pm is the busiest time

Advertisement