Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Had a feeling, last few times have come in from 6-12, up too late at night to get up at 8 too :/
    Will do 6-12 today as well I suppose, actually getting a bit done at home but far too many distractions. The judging eyes of others keep me off facebook and youtube for long spells :P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Had a feeling, last few times have come in from 6-12, up too late at night to get up at 8 too :/
    Will do 6-12 today as well I suppose, actually getting a bit done at home but far too many distractions. The judging eyes of others keep me off facebook and youtube for long spells :P

I don't get any work done at home. Im in from 8-4 and then 6/7-11 or so.

I hate how there's desks without power. It's so annoying for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

They're brutal with the green slips as of late. As i was walking around earlier loads of desks had green yokes on them. A girl next to me got up at 2:43 and she wasn't gone 30 seconds and one of the 'every seat counts' people came over. She wrote vacant at 2:35 on the thing! although despite all the green slips i haven't seen many full boxes near desks...

Pete123456 wrote: »
    They're brutal with the green slips as of late. As i was walking around earlier loads of desks had green yokes on them. A girl next to me got up at 2:43 and she wasn't gone 30 seconds and one of the 'every seat counts' people came over. She wrote vacant at 2:35 on the thing! although despite all the green slips i haven't seen many full boxes near desks...

Ye I've gotten one/two everyday so far this week whenever I went to the toilet or café.

In fairness two desks today were emptied by me (after about an hour and a half tho :rolleyes:)

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Ye I've gotten one/two everyday so far this week whenever I went to the toilet or café.

In fairness two desks today were emptied by me (after about an hour and a half tho :rolleyes:)

the green (used to be yellow) slips were just a threat for years and its only recently they started actually clearing desks, but i know the security lads are very slow to do so. but the amount of slips ive seen today they need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Came out of my morning exam to discover theres no where to study anywhere on campus,

Midkemia wrote: »
    Came out of my morning exam to discover theres no where to study anywhere on campus,

Did you try the A1084a room? its PCs but it might be quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Computer Room in the nurses building is pretty quiet, if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Red Raisins ? I guess it can be nosy though.
    Post grad room or AMMO ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

How's everyone getting on guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Great. Can't wait for the library extension to be complete so there can be even more empty seats taken by someone's bag and books :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'm not in UL anymore but my sister is and she lives in Cappa. My mam texted me last night asking me if I had to move out of my accommodation over the Christmas break and I said no and asked her why. She said that my sister has to move out for two weeks in January. This didn't happen to me when I was in UL in Plassey two years ago. Is this a new thing or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

my bike was stolen by 3 lads at 8pm from under ERB. if anyone sees a bike lying around in waste ground or around college can you PM me...they might leave it and come back for it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I'm not in UL anymore but my sister is and she lives in Cappa. My mam texted me last night asking me if I had to move out of my accommodation over the Christmas break and I said no and asked her why. She said that my sister has to move out for two weeks in January. This didn't happen to me when I was in UL in Plassey two years ago. Is this a new thing or what?

This is absolutely the wrong information coming from somewhere.

This is absolutely the wrong information coming from somewhere.

My thoughts exactly. I'll have to press this on my sister more.

Not in Cappa but on campus. You just email the village reception saying you're staying between certain dates. This is to let security know to expect people around and to know what blocks they'll be in.

Not in Cappa but on campus. You just email the village reception saying you're staying between certain dates. This is to let security know to expect people around and to know what blocks they'll be in.

Yeah that wasn't the issue. She has a calender in her apt that says check out on 1st Jan and check in on 15th. She thought that applied to everyone. Told her to talk to her village receptionist to confirm that isn't true :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

140 a week cost to be asked to move back to the dippers' house for two weeks. No thanks. Plenty stay on campus over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Yeah, that's just referring to move out/move in dates for people only booked in for one semester!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

And as someone who lived on campus for 5 years, you don't even have to do that. I never did and never had any issue. The way I always looked at it was "I'm renting this apartment, there's dates on my lease, I'll come and go as I please during those dates.".
    Yeah that wasn't the issue. She has a calender in her apt that says check out on 1st Jan and check in on 15th. She thought that applied to everyone. Told her to talk to her village receptionist to confirm that isn't true :P

Definitely not true. The dates are just there in case you're booked in for one semester only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Tremendous, believe me!

I have to get an i-grade for three exams due to a funeral in England, only two exams to do both next week, PH4131 and MS4021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

FionnK86 wrote: »
    my bike was stolen by 3 lads at 8pm from under ERB. if anyone sees a bike lying around in waste ground or around college can you PM me...they might leave it and come back for it later.

Never keep anything there - motorbike stolen from there earlier in the semester, security probably won't even let you use the CCTV footage...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Was the bike locked up at the time?

Not trying to be smart or catch you out. Just wondering if people would actually go to the effort of cutting the lock just to steal a bike. It's something that's never made sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

kerryked wrote: »
    Was the bike locked up at the time?

Not trying to be smart or catch you out. Just wondering if people would actually go to the effort of cutting the lock just to steal a bike. It's something that's never made sense to me.

Happened to my friend two years ago; bike was locked by ERB and when he went to go home found the bike missing and the cut lock on the ground.

iLaura wrote: »
    Happened to my friend two years ago; bike was locked by ERB and when he went to go home found the bike missing and the cut lock on the ground.

Jesus.

Didn't think that was the kind of people you'd be dealing with around UL, fairly sad.

Hope the bike turns up somewhere OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jesus.

Didn't think that was the kind of people you'd be dealing with around UL, fairly sad.

Hope the bike turns up somewhere OP

I'd wager its nothing to do with UL students, and more the influx of knackers we seem to be getting hanging around recently.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'd wager its nothing to do with UL students, and more the influx of knackers we seem to be getting hanging around recently.

I went straight to security but they had no sympathy, saying I should have bought a better lock. However, I had been using the bike hub every day since January, and SAA reset my car yesterday. So I had to use ERB, which I knew wasn't a good idea as a motorbike had been stolen there recently. I left it there at 2, and It was gone at 8.

Someone saw 3 lads simply pull the bike and the lock broke (housemate's lock too). They then walked toward Kilmurray and the White House. Security went out there as someone had started a fire on Maguire's pitch (they said could have been same guys). Apparently, UL is so open that it's impossible to have cameras everywhere.

The Guards came and took the details but said to give up looking, and that UL's cctv system is ****e. Security said there were unsavoury characters hanging about with Tommy Tiernan gig, looking for expensive cars.

Looking on DoneDeal/Adverts now, but losing hope. Gave my housemate €250 today to settle it...sickened.

I went straight to security but they had no sympathy, saying I should have bought a better lock. However, I had been using the bike hub every day since January, and SAA reset my car yesterday. So I had to use ERB, which I knew wasn't a good idea as a motorbike had been stolen there recently. I left it there at 2, and It was gone at 8.

Someone saw 3 lads simply pull the bike and the lock broke (housemate's lock too). They then walked toward Kilmurray and the White House. Security went out there as someone had started a fire on Maguire's pitch (they said could have been same guys). Apparently, UL is so open that it's impossible to have cameras everywhere.

The Guards came and took the details but said to give up looking, and that UL's cctv system is ****e. Security said there were unsavoury characters hanging about with Tommy Tiernan gig, looking for expensive cars.

Looking on DoneDeal/Adverts now, but losing hope. Gave my housemate €250 today to settle it...sickened.

Oh was it your housemates bike? That's shyte luck.

Agreed on the point that it probably wasn't UL students, I'd like to think it wasn't anyway.

Why do they have bike stands under the ERB if they're not going to be secured? Raging for you

Oh was it your housemates bike? That's shyte luck.

Agreed on the point that it probably wasn't UL students, I'd like to think it wasn't anyway.

Why do they have bike stands under the ERB if they're not going to be secured? Raging for you

To make it worse, I replaced a flat tyre only yesterday.

Security said it was probably 18 year olds, who will move onto car theft soon.

I only parked there because I saw loads of bikes and reckoned they might have put in new cameras. There is a camera on main building facing it, but it was probably not looking at the ERB.

• Advertisement

To make it worse, I replaced a flat tyre only yesterday.

Security said it was probably 18 year olds, who will move onto car theft soon.

I only parked there because I saw loads of bikes and reckoned they might have put in new cameras. There is a camera on main building facing it, but it was probably not looking at the ERB.

For the number of cameras and security staff that you see around campus, its surprising incidents like this still happen, but it was probably brazen 'ung fellas who saw an opportunity... :( Sorry to hear all the same...

Advertisement