Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Pete123456 wrote: »
    For the number of cameras and security staff that you see around campus, its surprising incidents like this still happen, but it was probably brazen 'ung fellas who saw an opportunity... :( Sorry to hear all the same...

It's no good having 3 Ford Kuga jeeps and multiple staff, when you can't have cameras in that location. I've heard 3 cases of stolen bikes under the ERB, surely it makes economical sense now after 3 thefts (probably more), to install a camera here.

Not sure who to pursue for this, SU president might be too high up, should I go to Smarter Travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

FionnK86 wrote: »
    It's no good having 3 Ford Kuga jeeps and multiple staff, when you can't have cameras in that location. I've heard 3 cases of stolen bikes under the ERB, surely it makes economical sense now after 3 thefts (probably more), to install a camera here.

Not sure who to pursue for this, SU president might be too high up, should I go to Smarter Travel?

Definitely get in touch with the SU president and ask for a discussion on bike theft and lack of cameras at the next student council meeting. Loads of people don't realise that problems they experience in college can be fixed if they go to the SU and explain the situation. While it might not seem like the sabats do much publically, they are actually always working behind the scenes and solve a lot of issues.

I'd say its no harm at all to go to the Smarter Travel crowd too, though I'm not sure if they'll be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

FionnK86 wrote: »

Cameras are only good as a deterrent in situations like this.

Having worked in a small shop that seemed to draw undesirables, we had 18 good quality cameras inside and out. One evening (in broad daylight) two men took 9 full bottles of gas from a cage outside the shop and stuck them into a van. We called the guards and when they came they took a copy of the footage, but said they didnt recognise their faces. We heard nothing since.

Once the f***ers realise that nothing will likely come of it, cameras become useless. Unless theyre known to the guards already.

More of those locked bike sheds and possibly frequent foot patrols around the campus might help stop things like this. Maybe add these to your suggestions?

Im not at all defending UL/security but i have experience dealing with thefts with good quality footage and no matter how many cameras you have, if the theif is on foot/ no registration number visible, its only so good.

Again, i am genuinely sorry something like this happened in such a high traffic area, and hopefully something can be done to stop it in future. Maybe you might get lucky and find the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone in the library that can tell me if there's many free seats? Long shot I know, but hoping it might have quietened down for week 2 :P

Update : Made the walk in, loads around.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

What's the story with the marks awarded for lab reports, tutorial attendance etc? I was told that to receive those marks you have to pass the exam but I couldn't find anything about it in the handbook(if it's there I could have missed it). I have an exam tomorrow in a subject that I've about 25~% gotten already in reports etc. and it's giving me serious anxiety attacks(found the subject difficult, never gelled with the lecturer etc). Do I need to get a D1 in the exam to get my full % or not?

• Advertisement

Umekichi wrote: »
    What's the story with the marks awarded for lab reports, tutorial attendance etc? I was told that to receive those marks you have to pass the exam but I couldn't find anything about it in the handbook(if it's there I could have missed it). I have an exam tomorrow in a subject that I've about 25~% gotten already in reports etc. and it's giving me serious anxiety attacks(found the subject difficult, never gelled with the lecturer etc). Do I need to get a D1 in the exam to get my full % or not?

As far as I'm aware you have to get a C3 in the exam before you get the additional marks for labs and tutorials. That's how it worked for me in the past in the physics department, and for a friend of mine mechanical engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

iLaura wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you have to get a C3 in the exam before you get the additional marks for labs and tutorials. That's how it worked for me in the past in the physics department, and for a friend of mine mechanical engineering

Oh crikey! Thanks for letting me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

What date are exams finished ?

What date are exams finished ?
    I think Monday coming... the library stops closing late tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I think Monday coming... the library stops closing late tomorrow night

So it closes at 10? :(

Will the 24 hour study room in block A be relatively free tomorrow so?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Christmas tree is looking very good in ul. Always brings the spirit of Christmas to UL.

TMJM96 wrote: »
    So it closes at 10? :(

Will the 24 hour study room in block A be relatively free tomorrow so?

it closes tomorrow (the 15th) at 00:00 and after that it goes to outside of semester hours i think. The best way to check is to hit up the opening hours on the libo website. if you click on the calender it will tell you the hours for any given day :)

I would say the postgrad room or the room next door (ariel) will be very quiet. The library right now is pretty dead so tomorrow will be quieter again

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Visaquestion

What happens if you fail an exam in your final year?

What happens if you fail an exam in your final year?

You do the repeat and miss the autumn graduation, you'll graduate in summer then.

If you fail the repeat you must do a link in.

AFAIK the student council are trying to change the time of repeats to allow final year students to graduate with their class, but that won't be in effect this year

You do the repeat and miss the autumn graduation, you'll graduate in summer then.

If you fail the repeat you must do a link in.

AFAIK the student council are trying to change the time of repeats to allow final year students to graduate with their class, but that won't be in effect this year

If you fail you then graduate in January*

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Visaquestion

So if I do have to repeat and pass the repeat I won't graduate until 2018?

So if I do have to repeat and pass the repeat I won't graduate until 2018?

unfortunately yes... i might be in the same boat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a crap system. Really could do with changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Worrying now actually..
    Tanked one module, found it very difficult in the end, lucky to scrape a D2 even and had no issie in others, aiming for high Bs. Thats a long time to waiy to use your degree.. Using your degree half a year late..

Worrying now actually..
    Tanked one module, found it very difficult in the end, lucky to scrape a D2 even and had no issie in others, aiming for high Bs. Thats a long time to waiy to use your degree.. Using your degree half a year late..

Well you don't need to have actually have your parchment before you can work/use your degree. As long as you pass any repeats you may have, you are finished your degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well you don't need to have actually have your parchment before you can work/use your degree. As long as you pass any repeats you may have, you are finished your degree.

I think there are some Masters that require you to produce the actual parchment before they'll enroll you. Saw it come up on the forum a year or two ago.

But yeah, for most purposes, you can just produce your final transcript after the repeats.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think there are some Masters that require you to produce the actual parchment before they'll enroll you. Saw it come up on the forum a year or two ago.

But yeah, for most purposes, you can just produce your final transcript after the repeats.

I've never heard of that before, it's kinda odd. I was just asked to submit my final transcript. Though I do think that if I had a repeat I wouldn't have qualified to start the masters, even though there would have been about a week between getting the results and the start of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've never heard of that before, it's kinda odd. I was just asked to submit my final transcript. Though I do think that if I had a repeat I wouldn't have qualified to start the masters, even though there would have been about a week between getting the results and the start of the course.

Oh I could be completely wrong, I just vaguely remember a thread being posted here before with someone asking if they could get the parchment before graduation. A Masters in Russia or something? I dunno, I could just be going a bit mad tbh.

Are results out the 20th of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Are results out the 20th of January?

The academic calendar says the 19th but I've heard 20th from everyone. So I guess just around then..

The academic calendar says the 19th but I've heard 20th from everyone. So I guess just around then..

Yeah see I checked the calender too but then people I know said 20th too so I was just confused.
    Thanks though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Judging by last year...timetables are due Monday?

Judging by last year...timetables are due Monday?

Two weeks before semester starts seems about right.

I hope it is, need to find out whether I can work Fridays or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Two weeks before semester starts seems about right.

I hope it is, need to find out whether I can work Fridays or not.

Yep it's next week. I am a tutor and was told I would get my hours in the coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Aragneer wrote: »
    Yep it's next week. I am a tutor and was told I would get my hours in the coming week.

"the coming week" will probably be Friday at 4. UL are so ambiguous with this kind of stuff, bit like 'you'll get it when you get it' :rolleyes:

Advertisement