Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Considering the size of the college, has there been any plan for a ULFM transmitter on FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Nolan's your man to talk to there, absolutely should be though I think, has gone strength to strength in recent years..
    Hope there isn't an issue with it and I'm sure they had a temporary thing going for RAG week some years back, so my housemate, DJ Ber, tells me... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

marno21 wrote: »
    Considering the size of the college, has there been any plan for a ULFM transmitter on FM?

Plans are in the pipeline, but it'll be a slow process. Because Wired FM have the licence for Limerick's student population, the BAI will not award a second one, and UL would neither be in a position to challenge them in 2026 when the licence is up for renewal again or would there be an appetite to rejoin Wired because of legacy issues.

Essentially, (and I'm being vague here because we're in very, VERY, early discussions with various parties), we'd be looking for the station to grow as we move into the new Student Centre, and there are avenues we can investigate which might get us a licence alongside Wired.

But yeah, TL;DR, it's a work in progress, it's one of our core aims, but it ultimately is going to take a couple of more years to see substantial progress.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Plans are in the pipeline, but it'll be a slow process. Because Wired FM have the licence for Limerick's student population, the BAI will not award a second one, and UL would neither be in a position to challenge them in 2026 when the licence is up for renewal again or would there be an appetite to rejoin Wired because of legacy issues.

Essentially, (and I'm being vague here because we're in very, VERY, early discussions with various parties), we'd be looking for the station to grow as we move into the new Student Centre, and there are avenues we can investigate which might get us a licence alongside Wired.

But yeah, TL;DR, it's a work in progress, it's one of our core aims, but it ultimately is going to take a couple of more years to see substantial progress.
    The reason I ask is I know Wired FM have a licence for Limerick (they have a site up in Meelick that covers the whole city and a fair chunk of the county), but if you look at Cork, there are two student services licenced there: UCC 98.3 (which broadcasts from a hilltop site near the Airport) and Juice FM, which is from Colaiste Stiofan Naofa. I know Juice has limited broadcast hours but there's precedent there at least. Student stations should not have to compete, especially in Limerick where there's a fair ball of spare frequencies.

105.5 (which is normally used for temp services) could be used as it's only in use at the weekends at the minute, for citywide coverage, or a new frequency could be licenced for a smaller area on low power from somewhere like the Castletroy Watertower, which would cover the campus area perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

After seeing the results of that election, thank God I'm a 4th year and not coming back next year.

• Advertisement

Saw JCB got it and pres will be a 2nd year...
    Interesting...
    Like to see numbers though, like seeing how close things are..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Saw JCB got it and pres will be a 2nd year...
    Interesting...
    Like to see numbers though, like seeing how close things are..

Record turn-out, didn't see it myself but apparently ~33%

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

ScummyMan wrote: »
    After seeing the results of that election, thank God I'm a 4th year and not coming back next year.

That was my exact sentiments this time last year! It appears this crowd seem worse :P

Would turn one off doing a Post Grad... :P
    Just walked back from library there and their sign was tore from ground and battered with sticks that held it there... bit excessive I thought.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Well out of the loop, what is the issue with the new sabbats and what have a few people called Hussey a rat?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 BigBulldog

Can anyone explain the following

1. Why is hussey a rat
    2. What did lorna brouge say that was slanderous
    3. Why does everyone dislike the new team so much or is it just sour grapes from the losing side ?

Did someone's entrance not get accepted for being three minutes late?
    Someone else forged a signature ???

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

BigBulldog wrote:
    1. Why is hussey a rat 2. What did lorna brouge say that was slanderous 3. Why does everyone dislike the new team so much or is it just sour grapes from the losing side ?

1. No clue, idk who that is
    2. She made comments about I think how she supported the repeal the 8th stuff and claimed no one else did across her social media, essentially bringing issues onto the table which had no right being there. Or at least that's the story I've been told.
    3. I've heard the JCB guys are awful, their driving point was "cheaper pints" and they have no real interest in actually doing anything.

Bear in mind all I hear is word of mouth from friends who still attend, so I could be wrong on these but that's what I gathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

BigBulldog wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the following

1. Why is hussey a rat
    2. What did lorna brouge say that was slanderous
    3. Why does everyone dislike the new team so much or is it just sour grapes from the losing side ?

Did someone's entrance not get accepted for being three minutes late?
    Someone else forged a signature ???

1. Don't know.
    2. Lorna ranted on about how the other candidates didn't support the repeal the 8th as much or at all as her. Along with that, she was saying she was the only candidate who was going to hold a campus referendum on repealing the 8th, as other candidates like the infamous JCB, were looking into other things like seeing if UL gym membership can be included with the contribution etc. and apparently only 1 referendum can be held a year(Please correct me if I'm wrong but mainly basing this off what I've heard from others, seen on social media etc).
    3. People seem to dislike JCB for a wide variety of reasons - the fact that the president is only in 2nd year, that the JCB manifesto seemed to revolve around things like the gym membership mentioned earlier, but also things like having heaters in the stables smoking area and pitchers of drink for sale there as well and the fact that they don't seem to openly support the repeal campaign.

I don't know about the forged signature but apparently people are also upset due to the fact that Lorna was allowed to stay in the running while having done what she did but people who wanted to become candidates who happened to be 3 mins late with their application/signatures/whatever wasn't allowed to run.

Does anyone know what the point of holding a referendum for repeal the 8th on campus is? It's not like it's an actual govmt. referendum(like the gay marriage one), so what's it's purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Umekichi wrote: »

I don't know about the forged signature but apparently people are also upset due to the fact that Lorna was allowed to stay in the running while having done what she did but people who wanted to become candidates who happened to be 3 mins late with their application/signatures/whatever wasn't allowed to run.

This part goes back to last year when Colin Clarke's nomination form wasn't accepted because he forgot a signature on his form, and Jack Shelly wasn't allowed to run because he handed in his form at 5:03pm. It is a bit of a disgrace that those two were disallowed on minor technicalities yet the ERB admits Lorna was guilty of 'blatant defamation' but wasn't disqualified.

But anyway, she didn't win so none of it really matters anymore :pac:

Does anyone know what the point of holding a referendum for repeal the 8th on campus is? It's not like it's an actual govmt. referendum(like the gay marriage one), so what's it's purpose?

To feel good about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Essentially, a referendum would allow the SU to openly support Repeal the 8th. Similar to the marriage equality referendum, the SU was allowed to actively campaign in favour of it because it was given permission to do so at a UGM.

Personally (and I said this for the marriage one too), I feel it's an incredibly bad idea for the SU to take sides in things like this. Jack Shelly was the only candidate who aligns with me on it. He said in the ULFM debate something along the lines of:
    "Say we hold a referendum on whether to support an issue, whatever it is. Say it's passed 90-10%. That's 10% of the student body you're essentially saying you won't represent."

As to why people don't like JCB, I think the largest reason is because people perceive them as "Lads.", in it for the craic as opposed to anything else. The Stables manifesto points didn't exactly try to dispel that image, and on the contrary encouraged it in order to entice the people in the college who never vote or only come into the SU to get Charity Week tickets into voting because "Ah shur they're mad craic."
    Always happens when people who're outside the SU/C&S circle run. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

(There're also a lot of allegations being thrown around about how JCB ran their campaign (illegal canvassing, postering off-campus, handing people phones to vote, damaging other candidates' posters and leaflets, "forcing" people to vote for them, etc) but nothing has been proven yet and is unlikely to be proven conclusively)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

JCB. John CameBridge. He did it at last.

I love seeing su heads get sour when they lose to outsiders. David dolphin nearly did it a few years back. Kelly o b lost to non union too iirc.

JCB. John CameBridge. He did it at last.

I love seeing su heads get sour when they lose to outsiders. David dolphin nearly did it a few years back. Kelly o b lost to non union too iirc.

KOB lost it when she started ranting in Boards and fighting publicly with Rockett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

One of my friends told me, "vote for X, or not...i dont care, just dont give your vote to Lorna". Typical polithicks bolloxology, which is why im happy JCB won, proving that its just a popularity contest.

I feel sorry for Jack now, the knives will be out straight away. We dont get told any of the good work the president does, but if they put one step wrong and the whole of the campus knows about it.

IMO the worst person for the job, got the job (sorry jack but your manifesto compared to the others is woeful) but let him have a go its not as if hes running the country. And hes our president now, of a pretty alright college so lets get behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Lads what is the craic with those computers in the library? :confused:

Every time I try to log on I get some 'User profile not found' message or something..Usually solved by waiting about 10 minutes for the computer to restart and log me on.

Only wanted to print one sheet today, took me about 25 minutes, jaysisssss sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

kerryked wrote: »
    Lads what is the craic with those computers in the library? :confused:

Every time I try to log on I get some 'User profile not found' message or something..Usually solved by waiting about 10 minutes for the computer to restart and log me on.

Only wanted to print one sheet today, took me about 25 minutes, jaysisssss sake

you can print straight from your laptop... only figured it out with a handful of days left in my degree

1. hit start
    2. type \\payprint64.ul.campus
    3. enter your email and password
    4. double click on the printer you want and let it load
    5. print away

i wish somebody told me this 5 years ago :rolleyes:

Pete123456 wrote: »
    you can print straight from your laptop... only figured it out with a handful of days left in my degree

1. hit start
    2. type \\payprint64.ul.campus
    3. enter your email and password
    4. double click on the printer you want and let it load
    5. print away

i wish somebody told me this 5 years ago :rolleyes:

Wow..is this common knowledge to other people? Because I sure as hell have never heard of it in my 3 years here :pac:

Thanks Pete, will save a lot of time in future :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Wow..is this common knowledge to other people? Because I sure as hell have never heard of it in my 3 years here :pac:

Thanks Pete, will save a lot of time in future :cool:

Well im five years in the college and never heard of it till this week. Any time i wanted to print something i would log off my laptop, log into a pc, print it, log off and go back to my laptop... a lot of wasted time there, considering the number of lab reports etc ive had to print :rolleyes: but ive been mentioning it to people in passing, so hopfully itll spread around a bit :) it works over cable and wifi, and you can pick printers in a couple of different buildings :)

I spose i could message the SU or something to spread it around and that would help people...

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Well im five years in the college and never heard of it till this week. Any time i wanted to print something i would log off my laptop, log into a pc, print it, log off and go back to my laptop... a lot of wasted time there, considering the number of lab reports etc ive had to print :rolleyes: but ive been mentioning it to people in passing, so hopfully itll spread around a bit :) it works over cable and wifi, and you can pick printers in a couple of different buildings :)

I spose i could message the SU or something to spread it around and that would help people...

Saw some of the sabbat candidates had 'quick print stations' as part of their manifesto, not sure if the lad that eventually won did, but I think these would be a great idea.

Some kind of a station with just a desktop PC, like the ones used to look up books in the library, have a laser printer directly connected to it. Use a general account and just let students scan their student card and debit the cost of printing from their account, simples.

But then again, pitchers in the stables is important too I guess..

Only 4 tests, evenly broken up over the next 3 weeks. I feel....uncomfortable. The FYP and DBF have corrupted me to a stage where when I have no deadlines to meet, I can't cope.

How's this referendum going to go?

Couldn't imagine turnout being too high with exam stress kicking in.

Tbh I don't think referenda like this are a good idea for the SU to be getting involved in. Of course student's should have an opinion on issues such as this, but as someone mentioned above I think the student population is too big for the SU to be supporting movements like this. Runs the risk of isolating a significant percentage of the campus.

I think this one will probably pass but I'd be worried about the precedent it might set in the future for more divisive issues. What happens when we have a referendum that barely passes and thus has the potential to split the campus in two?

Anywaaaay, that's probably being a bit dramatic, couldn't see the SU doing anything too dramatic to rock the boat in the bid for united Ireland.

How's this referendum going to go?

Couldn't imagine turnout being too high with exam stress kicking in.

Tbh I don't think referenda like this are a good idea for the SU to be getting involved in. Of course student's should have an opinion on issues such as this, but as someone mentioned above I think the student population is too big for the SU to be supporting movements like this. Runs the risk of isolating a significant percentage of the campus.

I think this one will probably pass but I'd be worried about the precedent it might set in the future for more divisive issues. What happens when we have a referendum that barely passes and thus has the potential to split the campus in two?

Anywaaaay, that's probably being a bit dramatic, couldn't see the SU doing anything too dramatic to rock the boat in the bid for united Ireland.

Result of the ULSU Policy Referendum, 19th April 2017
    Total number of UL students on the 19th April, 2017 = 14138
    Required quorum = 15% of UL students, i.e. 2121.
    2166 students voted
    Quorum was met with 45 votes to spare.
    1669 in favour, 77.05%
    497 against, 22.95%
    The motion is carried. ULSU supports the aim for a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Result of the ULSU Policy Referendum, 19th April 2017
    Total number of UL students on the 19th April, 2017 = 14138
    Required quorum = 15% of UL students, i.e. 2121.
    2166 students voted
    Quorum was met with 45 votes to spare.
    1669 in favour, 77.05%
    497 against, 22.95%
    The motion is carried. ULSU supports the aim for a united Ireland.

What a disaster that would have been if quorum wasn't met...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

People were all over the idea of an 8th Amendment referendum saying the union shouldn't take a stance on political issues and should remain neutral but when it's a United Ireland people are all for it. Double standards much.... I would put something on the ULSU facebook but at least here potential abuse won't be directed toward me personally (and yes I wouldn't be surprised if I got abuse from posting something along these lines on facebook).

A student union should represent students on student matters and stay neutral on national and political issues. Plenty of other ways for Shinners to voice their opinion about how great a United Ireland would be beside getting a student union to have an opinion.

I did vote no as well by the way but honestly the no votes were about as useful as a Democrat voting in Texas.

• Advertisement

roddy15 wrote: »
    People were all over the idea of an 8th Amendment referendum saying the union shouldn't take a stance on political issues and should remain neutral but when it's a United Ireland people are all for it. Double standards much.... I would put something on the ULSU facebook but at least here potential abuse won't be directed toward me personally (and yes I wouldn't be surprised if I got abuse from posting something along these lines on facebook).

A student union should represent students on student matters and stay neutral on national and political issues. Plenty of other ways for Shinners to voice their opinion about how great a United Ireland would be besides getting a student union to have an opinion.

My thoughts exactly.

Seems most people around campus who voted were voting "for a United Ireland". What we were being asked to vote on was whether or not the SU should support a move for a United Ireland. In my opinion, those are two very different questions and I'm not sure if the student population fully realised that.

Advertisement