Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

sibby wrote: »
    I've been in the library since 8.15, the seat beside me has been saved by someone putting a copy on it!
    They haven't been in the library since they put the copy on the desk!
    WTF??? Why do people keep doing this! There's lots of other people wandering around looking for a place to sit!

i noticed this in the post grad room yesterday. i arrived in a 9 and seat beside me had a book and a bag on it i left the library around 3 and still no one had come back to the seat. Also getting annoyed this seat at the security guard outside the post grad room asking everyone if they are a post grad or not. getting asked every time you enter is annoying after 9 r 10 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What you got there is a libary head. Rare as there are only seen in college during week 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Where's the normal "official procrastinate and complain about exams" thread? Isn't there normally one those this time of year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Forgot to post it yesterday,
    Meant to when I found out,
    Annoyed me quite a bit...
    What's worse than someone throwing their stuff down on a desk for the day and f-ing off for long periods of time..
    I was lucky to find a seat yesterday after 20 minutes of doing laps and going up and down stairs.
    4 hours in I realise the person in the seat next to me still wasn't back...
    Person on far off side of desk was coming and going but working away none the less.
    Wasn't until an hour later, I leaned back on my chair and out of the corner of my eye saw him switch his own folder with the note pad in the occupied middle seat.
    He had it all laid out as if to look like there was someone sitting there,
    A4 refill pad open with a pen left on top of it, half wrote out notes and a few other refill pads placed behind.
    He was using the middle desk for somewhere to hold his excess books...
    I saw at least 20 people walk past looking for a seat in that space of time, and thats with me looking down typing for the most part, while he occupies a seat to hold his books...
    One thing if he was holding it for someone or a friend came over and sat down on occasion but over a 4/5 hour period, no one.

Plain selfishness to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We've a lecturer, and if he changes his mind one more time about grades, he'll have a mass mob on his hands... he did it several times during the year, and is after doing it again with our continous assessment mark. I wouldn't mind if he didn't tell us, but why put up one mark, then a few hours later, send a email to everyone saying he's revised the marks and brought everyone down. During the year, he promised marks for this, that and the other but never fell through with his promise. For example, he told the class it was he would accept one answer in an exam situation but then, after the inclass exam, he said he changed his mind and wasn't accepting it as an answer. Ugh, seriously considering getting the class to boycott the exam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

sup_dude wrote: »
    We've a lecturer, and if he changes his mind one more time about grades, he'll have a mass mob on his hands... he did it several times during the year, and is after doing it again with our continous assessment mark. I wouldn't mind if he didn't tell us, but why put up one mark, then a few hours later, send a email to everyone saying he's revised the marks and brought everyone down. During the year, he promised marks for this, that and the other but never fell through with his promise. For example, he told the class it was he would accept one answer in an exam situation but then, after the inclass exam, he said he changed his mind and wasn't accepting it as an answer. Ugh, seriously considering getting the class to boycott the exam...

Is there not something about lectures having to stick to the module outline they make at the start of the semester?

We had one last year who told us the day before the exam that the exam was a 4, answer 4 exam instead of 6, answer any 4.. He had told us all along it was the same as the pervious year and never decided to tell us he changed it till then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I do think, and I could be proven wrong, that a lecturer is obliged to give you the grade breakdown (what is an A1 etc) and how the marks are distributed (20% for mid, 40 for project, 40 for final etc) - If you have a lecture (ppt or whatever) with this, I'd talk to someone in the SU. I know one of our lectures said "I know this is boring but I have to tell you what the marking scheme is even though you've probably seen it 20 times"

He's not changing the marking scheme or anything, he's sticking to what's what.. he's randomly keeps bringing down our marks, without an explanation as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

"The academic who teaches a module is required to inform students at the first scheduled lecture hour what the arrangements for assessing that module (or sequence of modules) are, i.e. what are the objectives of the module, what are the criteria on which assessment is to be based, when assessment will occur and what weighting is to be allocated to each part of assessment. The academic must also indicate the module’s repeat assessment}instrument(s). "

One of our lecturers last year tried to change how much a C3 was and we emailed the faculty head who ****ed him out of it and made him change it back so maybe the same thing could work for ye!Got the above from student handbook

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eletal

garv123 wrote: »
    S/He is just worried their book will be gone when they get back :P

I already have a desk in the library, it's locked away behind my nice office door so I dont need a book to keep it free :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Guys, there is a desk collecting money for the paralympics in the courtyard. Believe it or not I'm going to tell you to refuse to donate here.

The attempt is being run by a lovely company called Appco. For those not familiar with Appco, this is a pyramid scheme, and that guy who you buy the pin from is getting a commission. His 'boss' is also getting commission and his 'boss' in turn gets a percentage all the way up the tree...one of those who gets a minuscule amount from all of this? Paralympic Ireland. They get very little from it all. This has been the case with many charities who are not at fault, nor are the people on the street. It is those in charge who profit from charities names and then give them a tiny proportion in return.

Of course I may be slightly wrong. Or completely. But wouldn't you be happier donating that money directly to paralympics Ireland to ensure it goes to the right people who really need it?

http://www.mycharity.ie/donate_chari...?charityID=476

I have just scanned the t's and c's and found that from every donation you make, 99% goes to the charity. Certainly better than donating and having it butchered by others making their own money.

ps - the very same Appco Group (sometimes referred to as Cobra Group) does this internationally.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10789631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

El Spearo wrote: »
    Guys, there is a desk collecting money for the paralympics in the courtyard. Believe it or not I'm going to tell you to refuse to donate here.

The attempt is being run by a lovely company called Appco. For those not familiar with Appco, this is a pyramid scheme, and that guy who you buy the pin from is getting a commission. His 'boss' is also getting commission and his 'boss' in turn gets a percentage all the way up the tree...one of those who gets a minuscule amount from all of this? Paralympic Ireland. They get very little from it all. This has been the case with many charities who are not at fault, nor are the people on the street. It is those in charge who profit from charities names and then give them a tiny proportion in return.

Of course I may be slightly wrong. Or completely. But wouldn't you be happier donating that money directly to paralympics Ireland to ensure it goes to the right people who really need it?

http://www.mycharity.ie/donate_chari...?charityID=476

I have just scanned the t's and c's and found that from every donation you make, 99% goes to the charity. Certainly better than donating and having it butchered by others making their own money.

I hope that's not the case, as when I was heading into the SU yesterday evening, there was a woman from that collection in there thanking the SU for having them saying they'd raised about €3,000.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I hope that's not the case, as when I was heading into the SU yesterday evening, there was a woman from that collection in there thanking the SU for having them saying they'd raised about €3,000.

I would 100% love to be wrong. Because I have seen them everywhere, and they must be taking in a lot of money. But when I look at the Appco history, I just can't help but feel that my worries are well founded. A quick google will bring up stories etc of things going bad. I myself worked for the company and have seen other structures for the other charities and I fear I'm right.

Also had an interview with a recruitment agency this week, and the head guy told be he was approached, but when he asked how much the charities got he just said I can't be a part of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I blanked the guy with the crutches yesterday because I was in a rush. Felt a bit **** at the time but not now, if any of the above is true.

snausages wrote: »
    I blanked the guy with the crutches yesterday because I was in a rush. Felt a bit **** at the time but not now, if any of the above is true.

Yeah, well from what I've been led to believe it appears that Appco have absolutely no shame. They have often been the subject of documentaries etc.

http://www.civilsociety.co.uk/fundraising/news/content/7207/bbc_newsnight_expose_to_say_charities_spend_millions_on_face-to-face

You say there was a guy on crutches, do you mean just a guy who was injured or was he dressed in nice pants and shoes etc (ie a salesman), or was he someone who was genuinely a paralympic athlete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

El Spearo wrote: »
    Yeah, well from what I've been led to believe it appears that Appco have absolutely no shame. They have often been the subject of documentaries etc.

http://www.civilsociety.co.uk/fundraising/news/content/7207/bbc_newsnight_expose_to_say_charities_spend_millions_on_face-to-face

You say there was a guy on crutches, do you mean just a guy who was injured or was he dressed in nice pants and shoes etc (ie a salesman), or was he someone who was genuinely a paralympic athlete?

As far as I could tell he was just some normal guy on crutches, but I might be mistaken. He was calling people over on the way into the Stables.

Yeah. I am wondering just why the paralympics ireland website is so happy and proud to be running this campaign...so i could be wrong. I have contacted both them and Appco to get further information.

It's become my pet peeve. I always thought Appco profiting through charities was disgusting to be honest. I just want to know if their old framework is being carried over to this charity.

Came out of Superquinn today and there was one outside the doors,
    Had a desk set up, 3 people blanked him in a row and he caught me reading what the charity was and so reeled me in.
    Now to put things in perspective, I've 40 euro for the weekend and 35 of that is going on a Maths class thing tomorrow.
    Nonetheless I fiddle around my pockets looking for a 2 euro when he pulls up the brochure stating the minimum donation is €10. First thought was Christ these pins are getting more expensive and then trying to think of a way to let him down easy and say I really don't have 10 to spare, but he cut me off and pure guilt tripped me!
    Wouldn't you like to be responsible for sending a paraplegic to the olympics, well for only €1000 you could... Do I look like I've a thousand euro... I've just raided the "Reduced to Clear" isle for something to eat for the weekend...
    Anyway I made light banter about how I'd love to but seriously don't have the money, told him honestly, haven't a cent in my bank account and my weekend plans and asked if he'd be around Limerick today or tomorrow, as I may have money then. Squinted at me saying I don't know, really would be better now...
    Made it pure awkward, ended up saying truthfully that I didn't have it to spare but I'll try and find it tomorrow.
    Chances are it's the same crowd.

Honestly don't mind giving to charity, always give to the athsma one when I see it but hate being guilted into it. I've done flag days before and always hated it really, don't like forcing money off people. If they want to give it fine, if they don't, leave them be, might not be able to afford it.
    Miss the days of putting any amount of money in a pot and getting a sticker or badge for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

UL Library:

image.png

I could understand if it was the end of the day as it's usually quite warm, but first thing in the morning...

Came out of Superquinn today and there was one outside the doors,
    Had a desk set up, 3 people blanked him in a row and he caught me reading what the charity was and so reeled me in.
    Now to put things in perspective, I've 40 euro for the weekend and 35 of that is going on a Maths class thing tomorrow.
    Nonetheless I fiddle around my pockets looking for a 2 euro when he pulls up the brochure stating the minimum donation is €10. First thought was Christ these pins are getting more expensive and then trying to think of a way to let him down easy and say I really don't have 10 to spare, but he cut me off and pure guilt tripped me!
    Wouldn't you like to be responsible for sending a paraplegic to the olympics, well for only €1000 you could... Do I look like I've a thousand euro... I've just raided the "Reduced to Clear" isle for something to eat for the weekend...
    Anyway I made light banter about how I'd love to but seriously don't have the money, told him honestly, haven't a cent in my bank account and my weekend plans and asked if he'd be around Limerick today or tomorrow, as I may have money then. Squinted at me saying I don't know, really would be better now...
    Made it pure awkward, ended up saying truthfully that I didn't have it to spare but I'll try and find it tomorrow.
    Chances are it's the same crowd.

Honestly don't mind giving to charity, always give to the athsma one when I see it but hate being guilted into it. I've done flag days before and always hated it really, don't like forcing money off people. If they want to give it fine, if they don't, leave them be, might not be able to afford it.
    Miss the days of putting any amount of money in a pot and getting a sticker or badge for it...

Without sounding too marvel comics about it, it's exactly as I feared. A direct debit that likely the charity will see nothing of for the first year, gaining only from those who continue after the first year.

thanks for the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

That stand was set up in B&Q today, trying to stop every customer _and_ staff member at the checkouts (the latter of whom every time they passed in and out) and from what I heard were breaking out the guilt tripping too. Having read what I've read here combined with how they acted there, being a member of staff was the only thing really stopping me from calling them out on their manipulative carry-on

Jikashi wrote: »
    That stand was set up in B&Q today, trying to stop every customer _and_ staff member at the checkouts (the latter of whom every time they passed in and out) and from what I heard were breaking out the guilt tripping too. Having read what I've read here combined with how they acted there, being a member of staff was the only thing really stopping me from calling them out on their manipulative carry-on

It's something I am beginning to feel very very strongly about. What confuses me is the promotion of the campaign on the paralympic website. They obviously benefit, but I just cant help but feel that there is some element here which is plain wrong. If I follow my gut, something is up. I know this is dragging off topic, but thanks for your input guys. You're showing me that this is starting to piece together. Maybe my tinfoil hat is justified :D

I've long since refused to donate to any charity that tries to guilt you into donating.

I once got a call from an unnamed charity who wanted me to set up a direct debit. Now, it just so happened that they called the week after ~€5k had left my accounts to pay for rent, fees and other expenses, so I said "No, sorry, I just don't have the money to donate at the moment.". She proceeded to lay it on thick with the whole "But it's only €5 a month, and that could save childrens lives!" spiel.

Real bug-bear of mine. I donate to charity when I can, and I'd consider myself to be more than generous, I don't need a sob-story or a guilt trip to donate to you if a) your cause is worthwhile and b) I actually have money to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some filthy people on campus today. Banana skin and crust of bread thrown on the ground in the corridor heading down towards the architect studios.

Some other fecker had an energy gel pack in the toilet. probably need it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

YFlyer wrote: »
    Some filthy people on campus today. Banana skin and crust of bread thrown on the ground in the corridor heading down towards the architect studios.
    Did you see them do it? I would have gone mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No. I can't understand why would somebody drop rubbish in the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

The amount of electricity being wasted night after night is something ridiculous. Wherever you walk on campus at night, nearly every building has lights left on. Why do so many offices leave their lights on overnight?, computers across the campus left on standby etc. Surely it wouln't be too hard to implement a policy of turning lights off at night?. Fair enough to leave outside lights on in carparks along paths/walkways around campus. We are paying for it indirectly through our fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

cup of tea wrote: »
    The amount of electricity being wasted night after night is something ridiculous. Wherever you walk on campus at night, nearly every building has lights left on. Why do so many offices leave their lights on overnight?, computers across the campus left on standby etc. Surely it wouln't be too hard to implement a policy of turning lights off at night?. Fair enough to leave outside lights on in carparks along paths/walkways around campus. We are paying for it indirectly through our fees.

Lecturers working late?
    Post grad research bitches working late (probable).

Most lights in public areas of the buildings are motion sensitive. I know this because I'm often around campus at 7am before the Main Building really opens and all the lights are off until I walk down the corridor.
    There are nightporters around all the time, it could be there work that's responsible for a lot of the lights you're seeing.

I'd be cool with buying them miners hats, that'd be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

cup of tea wrote: »

A lot of the lights are motion sensors activated. Also there is probably a rule that building open 24hrs need to have its main lights on for health and safety. Most of the computers in the university are shut down at night.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of the motion sensor lights in the main building. However there are often offices with nobody in them with lights left on. In the library well after the cleaners have left there are a lot of lights on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Does anyone have a summer job for me? Its desperately hard to find one around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Chavways wrote: »
    Does anyone have a summer job for me? Its desperately hard to find one around here.

My room is filthy.

9 euro an hour if you want?

lkionm wrote: »
    My room is filthy.

9 euro an hour if you want?

I'd actually do it.Thats how desperate I am.

€9/hour to clean a room? I'll do it if chavways doesn't want to! :P

I mean....

How bad could it possibly be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    €9/hour to clean a room? I'll do it if chavways doesn't want to! :P

I mean....

How bad could it possibly be....

Full of FYP food and all that mess and exam study mess.

So sticky stains and bags of taytos and mouldy cups.

It is a cesspit of student sweat.

Just be sure top get a good sniff of the clothes as to not confuse the clean pile to the dirty pile.

• Advertisement

Ugh, internet connection in Red Raisons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ugh, internet connection in Red Raisons :(

It's everywhere. The wireless network in the library is essentially dead since study week started.

Agreed the internet is absolutely shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Can't find my results on the portal... anyone help? Can't see a link on it

Can't find my results on the portal... anyone help? Can't see a link on it

It's been disabled.

Use the test portal.

• Advertisement

Flash showers today are dire,
    Luckily inside for first one,
    Stranded between library and SU for second,
    Drenched.
    Plus note though, completed and probably passed Maths :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Ugh, people in my course complaining about an exam, just because it wasn't the same as other years. I'm sorry, but how do they expect a full question worth 20% to come up on a topic we spent 1.5 lectures an 0 tutorials on to come up? -.-

Its your own fault for spending a crap tonne of time studying that rather than the one topic we spent at least half the lectures on. It's only logical that that topic got 2 questions. This is college, we're not here to learn how the paper is or to just learn the right answers

iLaura wrote: »
    Ugh, people in my course complaining about an exam, just because it wasn't the same as other years. I'm sorry, but how do they expect a full question worth 20% to come up on a topic we spent 1.5 lectures an 0 tutorials on to come up? -.-

Its your own fault for spending a crap tonne of time studying that rather than the one topic we spent at least half the lectures on. It's only logical that that topic got 2 questions. This is college, we're not here to learn how the paper is or to just learn the right answers

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Had an exam on Saturday which started a few minutes late, and started a few minutes early. In total I lost about 5 minutes of writing, which would have been a half a page. It was annoying, as I though I had more time to finish off the question.

On a similar note, exams in the PES are a joke this semester. They're all starting late, with people still coming in when the exam is due to start. If you're not there on time: tough, but don't make everyone else have to wait. It's grand when they give you extra time at the end, but not when they don't.

Science maths?

People really should have went to the last exam tutorial, they essentially said it wouldn't be coming up.

I thought it was a fair exam, and I missed about 80% of the lectures and tutorials. ****ting it for Wednesday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Subutai wrote: »
    Science maths?

People really should have went to the last exam tutorial, they essentially said it wouldn't be coming up.

I thought it was a fair exam, and I missed about 80% of the lectures and tutorials. ****ting it for Wednesday though.

Haha, yep. I went to about 10 lectures and didn't go to any of the exam tutorials and still thought it was a grand paper. Physics with Joe Wednesday, yeah?

Haha, yep. I went to about 10 lectures and didn't go to any of the exam tutorials and still thought it was a grand paper. Physics with Joe Wednesday, yeah?

Ya, the legend himself. I'll miss his emails about how thick we all are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Subutai wrote: »
    Ya, the legend himself. I'll miss his emails about how thick we all are.

That man is one in a million. Used to make me take measurements in a lab full of lads 'just in case mine were different, because I'm female'.

If anyone else said that to me I would have complained
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Good old Joe, good to see he hasn't changed a bit since I had him as a lecturer in 2007. Does he still not bother with first names?

Am I the only one here who doesn't like Joe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement