Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm torn between wanting to shush the c*nts talking across from me in the library and not wanting to shush them because I'm one of the loudest people to ever walk the earth.
    Go over behind them really close and wait for them to notice you. Then, without saying a word, grab a marker (if its one of theirs even better) and scrawl "shut up" across the forehead of just one of them. Quietly return the marker and wander back to you seat. Proceed to stare at them with a straight face for a further 5/10 mins.
    They should get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Major Dilemma :P

I'm pretty sure you're louder than I am :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Anyone know if you can submit the co-op report by post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

God lads, this thread was three pages back! :eek:

This isn't really a bitch, but this is more an OT thread these days anyway, so does anyone know what the story is with Dromroe shop? passed it just there and they were getting a delivery of stock. They reopening/ed?

Actually, here's the first bitch of the semester:

Why the hell do they always wait until September to do any roadworks around the place? Surely they could have started in mid-May and be done by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Why the hell do they always wait until September to do any roadworks around the place? Surely they could have started in mid-May and be done by now?

In a desperate attempt to return this thread to its original purpose of course:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Where are the road works?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Where are the road works?

Around the Lonsdale Building area. Maybe tisn't roadworks, but they're definitely doing some serious work there.

Around the Lonsdale Building area. Maybe tisn't roadworks, but they're definitely doing some serious work there.

That been going on for a while. Their building a new energy research building on the car park in front of the Lonsdale and they had to dig up the road for water and electricity contention.

Jester252 wrote: »
    That been going on for a while. Their building a new energy research building on the car park in front of the Lonsdale and they had to dig up the road for water and electricity contention.

Ah. So my hopes that this was a short term project were unfounded then. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ugh, I am just borderline panicing now - need to choose an FYP and have NO idea what I want to do. None of the suggestions appeal to me, and I just cannot seem to get an idea that interests me.

chrislad wrote: »
    Ugh, I am just borderline panicing now - need to choose an FYP and have NO idea what I want to do. None of the suggestions appeal to me, and I just cannot seem to get an idea that interests me.

Talk to some of the lectures about their projects. While a project might not be interesting at the moment the lecture might be able to give you a better idea of the project. You also what to make sure your supervisor is interested in the project and very hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

chrislad wrote: »

Least ye get suggestions.. We were told that because we're 4th years we should know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Grr...how in the name of Jebus does one delete a module from their SULIS account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

iLaura wrote: »
    Grr...how in the name of Jebus does one delete a module from their SULIS account?
    On the left, go to the membership tab. Click the boxes of the offending modules and select unjoin. To remove them from the top bar click the edit button next to the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

God lads, this thread was three pages back! :eek:

This isn't really a bitch, but this is more an OT thread these days anyway, so does anyone know what the story is with Dromroe shop? passed it just there and they were getting a delivery of stock. They reopening/ed?

saw there today that its open 9-6 Monday to Friday :-D

phish wrote: »
    saw there today that its open 9-6 Monday to Friday :-D

Excellent! :D

Having to walk all the way to the courtyard for a roll was literally worse than World War II. :P

havent been in it yet but heard the housemates bitching that the deli wasnt in it, or at least no hot deli.

phish wrote: »
    havent been in it yet but heard the housemates bitching that the deli wasnt in it, or at least no hot deli.

Boo-urns.

• Advertisement

Boo-urns.

can confirm there is no deli only ready made sandwiches.

Boo-urns.

can confirm there is no deli only ready made sandwiches.

Boo-urns.

You have two options;
    Enjoy the ten minutes trip to the courtyard or stockpile rolls your room*

*I can be held responsible for any case of food poising from eating three months old rolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

garv123 wrote: »
    Least ye get suggestions.. We were told that because we're 4th years we should know what to do.

What a copout of a lazy answer from some academic who is quite possibly on a six-figure salary.

If I was told that by a lecturer I'd have their office trashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, being back in UL I'm really started to feel my mood drop. Thought I'd be okay coming back but maybe it's the thought of traveling in by bus again everyday that's draining me a bit.

Also though feeling a bit frustrated over the fact that writing English and history essays doesn't come naturally to me like it has to my two brothers who've both gratuated with first class honours. I know I haven't a hope of that and just stressed that I've never been as good as them and never will be. Why did the intelligence gene have to skip me! Sorry to turn this into a moany post but it feels good to vent. Just hate that I've always been the underachiever in my family.

I thought when I'd get into university I would just suddenly get A's and the President's letter like my brothers (one of my brothers wasn't amazing in secondary school but then excelled in university) but no. Beginning to wonder why I'm in college at all which is a bit late now that I'm in third year.

Ugh I don't know, doing my co-op report has made me wonder, it was writing that that made me remember how bad I am, that andmy mum saying when she read it she thought it was poor and to go to the writing centre or go to my brother (which I just can't do as I hate being corrected by him even if he means well think it comes back to the whole think of being jealous) which I did before but, and I don't know if it was just me, but I found them telling what I already knew and I don't mean that in a pompous way, but still not clearing my problem with essay writing.
    Why can't I be good at just one thing in my life. I've never excelled in anything! Hopefully joining Krav Maga will cheer me up :) Sorry for moaning, but I feel a bit better dumping my thoughts somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

God, being back in UL I'm really started to feel my mood drop. Thought I'd be okay coming back but maybe it's the thought of traveling in by bus again everyday that's draining me a bit.

Also though feeling a bit frustrated over the fact that writing English and history essays doesn't come naturally to me like it has to my two brothers who've both gratuated with first class honours. I know I haven't a hope of that and just stressed that I've never been as good as them and never will be. Why did the intelligence gene have to skip me! Sorry to turn this into a moany post but it feels good to vent. Just hate that I've always been the underachiever in my family.

I thought when I'd get into university I would just suddenly get A's and the President's letter like my brothers (one of my brothers wasn't amazing in secondary school but then excelled in university) but no. Beginning to wonder why I'm in college at all which is a bit late now that I'm in third year.

Ugh I don't know, doing my co-op report has made me wonder, it was writing that that made me remember how bad I am, that andmy mum saying when she read it she thought it was poor and to go to the writing centre or go to my brother (which I just can't do as I hate being corrected by him even if he means well think it comes back to the whole think of being jealous) which I did before but, and I don't know if it was just me, but I found them telling what I already knew and I don't mean that in a pompous way, but still not clearing my problem with essay writing.
    Why can't I be good at just one thing in my life. I've never excelled in anything! Hopefully joining Krav Maga will cheer me up :) Sorry for moaning, but I feel a bit better dumping my thoughts somewhere.
    Strong username to post content correlation

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    Strong username to post content correlation

I'm crap at picking names okay! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Don't worry, negativity will go soon..
    Christmas soon enough and there's a lovely tree in library that will wipe away all your woes :P

Don't worry, negativity will go soon..
    Christmas soon enough and there's a lovely tree in library that will wipe away all your woes :P

Ok its bad enough that there are already christmas decorations for sale and on display in some shops but I'm making a stand here

ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT TILL AFTER HALLOWEEN:P

Precious Flower have you ever looked at some of the books in the library on essay writing, I had a hugely similar problem when it came to law essays until i got a book in the library on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 west7891

freyners wrote: »
    Ok its bad enough that there are already christmas decorations for sale and on display in some shops but I'm making a stand here

ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT TILL AFTER HALLOWEEN:P

Precious Flower have you ever looked at some of the books in the library on essay writing, I had a hugely similar problem when it came to law essays until i got a book in the library on it.

its great for that stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Starbucks would want to be employing more workers!

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Starbucks would want to be employing more workers!

You should be buying proper coffee rather than Starbucks.

I don't know what to say :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is there any point in making a complaint about a lecturer... I know one who has received possibly countless complaints from both students and peers yet when there was a change in lecturers, his job was the only one completely secure!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I can't help you with History essays because I know nothing about them but I have written my fair share of English essays! I think the secret to writing good English lit. essays in college is to try and come up with your own personal interpretation on the book/character/whatever that your lecturer hasn't mentioned in class. It doesn't have to be a whole new ground-breaking analysis, even if you can just pick up on something small not previously mentioned that ties in with lecture notes. Obviously make sure it's a valid point that you can back up with quotes and perhaps secondary sources.

The English essays that I did very well on (i.e. got a B1 or an A) all had my own personal reading of scenes and/or characters weaved in with information and notes from lecturers. Most lecturers seem to use the same textbooks and give mostly the same essay questions every year so they have to read through extremely similar essays every year which must get soul-crushingly dull. I think they welcome fresh perspectives! (I know I would if I was correcting them!) Also, don't be afraid to disagree with whatever they've said in class if you can back it up and the question allows for it.

It sounds harder to do than it is really. One tip I can give you (it might seem glaringly obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't do it - I didn't start doing it until 3rd year) is to make notes and pick out any possible useful quotes as you read the book. Don't just leave it all to after you've read or rely only on passages/quotes that your lecturer points out. You have to give yourself an edge over the general majority.

Another tip is to plan your essays out before you write them, if you don't already. Construct your main argument and break it down into paragraphs. What are you going to discuss in each paragraph and how do they link together ? Linking your paragraphs is very important in order for your essay to flow. Then add in quotes and references as you write. Make sure each paragraph is relevant to the essay question too! Also, try not to leave writing essays to the last minute. Give yourself a few days to edit and and maybe change it around a bit before it's due.
    Also, obviously make sure your writing (and referencing) is technically correct and flows nicely. Get a friend to proofread it before you hand it up.

Those tips might seem hella obvious but they only properly stuck in my brain in third year. I'm not insulting your intelligance if you know them all already, I swear! I think I'm just a but slow on the uptake :p

Don't let it get you down too much. I know it's rough when you get compared to over-achieving siblings but I'm sure there's stuff you can do well that your brothers are crap at! Being able to write good essays doesn't make you a genius, it's really just something you have to practice and experiment with before it clicks!

Good luck!

#Dearwritingcentrepleaseememployme

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it, made me feel better! :) I'd quote ye in my response but I don't know how to do it on my phone! :P I'll check out those books in the library too! PS. I love that Christmas tree in the library I just wanted to curl up under it and drink hot chocolate all day! :D PSS. Cherry Blossom Girl you should be in the writing center! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 6YearStruggle

Dropped out yesterday and was treated like dirt on a shoe by one of the receptionists once she found out, surely having manners is part of the job description? I'd understand if it was half 4 in the evening and she had a busy day but it was 10 in the morning and I hardly needed her having a fit at me on the day that was in it

Just wondering is anyone having trouble getting into the UL website. Everything else is loading grand for me, but when I click on the UL link it just keeps loading put stays on the search page. Grr, and I've to email a lecturer!
    *Actually, ah, never mind turned on my brain and just typed in UL student email into Google. God, I'm slow today.

PS. I love that Christmas tree in the library I just wanted to curl up under it and drink hot chocolate all day!

Wonderful isn't it, the perfect tree... :)
    So long as you don't think of it as being a quarter of a year away, it's not too bad :)

Wonderful isn't it, the perfect tree... :)
    So long as you don't think of it as being a quarter of a year away, it's not too bad :)
    It should be put there all year round! :D

It should be put there all year round! :D

angry-no-l.png

• Advertisement

Looks like we're going to have a group of filthy post grads using lab A1084 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anyone around the tables outside spar today? Went to put my bag down to put my stuff into it and there must have been at least 50 wasps on each table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Anyone around the tables outside spar today? Went to put my bag down to put my stuff into it and there must have been at least 50 wasps on each table.

Damn Protestants.

Must be here using the facilities at the Sports Arena.

freyners wrote: »
    angry-no-l.png

:(.

Aw leave the wasps alone too. Everyone's complaining about them, but they do good things too! I'm amazing I haven't been stung as well, they all over the place but they just seem more interested in floating about the place.

Shamelessly stealing this post:
    One of them was hiding in my mother's shoe yesterday, and stung her when she put it on. Crushed another one with the Argos catalogue, today. Also...

wasps_thumb.jpg

Shamelessly stealing this post:

anatomy-of-a-wasp.jpg

Attendance become mandatory in Maths because people weren't coming in..
    Miss more than 4 lectures over semester and subject to oral exam in Week 10 worth 5/10%...
    I attend lectures but would normally miss more than 4 a semester with 3 a week...
    Good in a way, bad in another :/

An oral exam in Maths?

Lol. :P

• Advertisement

The thought baffles, confuses and scares me...
    Haven't had much experience in the field.. :/

Advertisement